The Chat Room

scudsucker

In totally unrelated news, I was driving home after collecting my daughter from a sleep-over. My son started lecturing me on DNA. He knows the bases are A, C, G , T (but not the actual names). He knows it is a helical structure (he called it "twisted"). He knows about Dolly the sheep and that fact she was cloned.

He is fucking 6 years old. How??? I am proud of him but what the fuck is a 6 year old doing with high school education level info?

scudsucker

If we are going vaulted ceiling architecture, I think Lisbon's Orient Station is a winner.

1312x.jpg

I've been lucky enough to go there.

Tribs

I keep on trying to fabricate reasons to splurge on an aftermarket CPU cooler to replace the stock cooler on my Intel Core i5 12400F. Maybe I should tell myself that the stock cooler is too loud, or that it's not aesthetically pleasing, or that it's secretly sabotaging my gaming performance. But deep down, I know that none of these excuses are true. The stock cooler is doing a fine job of keeping my CPU at reasonable temperatures, and I don't really care about the noise or the looks. I just have this irrational urge to buy something shiny and expensive, even if it doesn't make any difference in my PC's functionality. Maybe I should see a therapist about this, or maybe I should just embrace my inner shopaholic and order that fancy liquid cooling system I've been eyeing online. After all, life is short and money is meant to be spent, right? Right?
Go ahead and treat yourself. Life is short and what is the point of being miserable? And it will extend the life of your PC - so you can use that logic.

Tribs

Holidays are my bane, I really enjoy travel and experiencing things. I get asked often why I don't take more photos and I honestly feel it steals from just enjoying what I'm doing.

But yeah, last year was busy. A lot of it was work related though and then I get some perks with those like having my wife join.

This year so far is a lot more subdued. Only have a trip booked for December. No talk yet of work travel.

Oh, and like 5 weekends already fucked with school camps where parents are encouraged to be active by having to tag along and arrange their own accommodation.
Not sure how old your kids are but that arrangement only works for overprotective parents. Kids need time away from mom and dad and mom and dad need time away from kids. If they are old enough to cope - don't be guilted into shadowing them

Arzy

Not sure how old your kids are but that arrangement only works for overprotective parents. Kids need time away from mom and dad and mom and dad need time away from kids. If they are old enough to cope - don't be guilted into shadowing them
12 and 9, eldest will be going on her own and we'll only pop in to support the matches.

For the younger we'll stay close by but also only be there to watch matches.

The mess is that none of the camps occur on the same weekend. So no time away from kids for mom and dad.

Nicholas

Go ahead and treat yourself. Life is short and what is the point of being miserable? And it will extend the life of your PC - so you can use that logic.
I wouldn't say that I am miserable. Have you heard of a book called "Thinking fast and slow"?

How much does one have to spend on a cooler for it to effect, for example, a 10 degree temperature change? My previous CPU used a stock cooler. [Is this a valid point, or does it not necessarily apply, though?]

If I were to follow through on more of my impulses, I'd be in trouble, and not only financially.

Tribs

I wouldn't say that I am miserable. Have you heard of a book called "Thinking fast and slow"?

How much does one have to spend on a cooler for it to effect, for example, a 10 degree temperature change? My previous CPU used a stock cooler. [Is this a valid point, or does it not necessarily apply, though?]

If I were to follow through on more of my impulses, I'd be in trouble, and not only financially.
You can pick and choose which you follow

Tribs

The rest, I can imagine.
I do the same - though I have opted to buy a table for outside again. Gave the last one to my lady as it was too big now. But I have started working with succulents and have some grafting to do. And doing that on the ground will not be as comfortable. Besides - the camp chairs get broken by guests and I hope some plastic chairs will last longer.