The Chat Room

Nicholas

A guy came to ask me for money to buy his kids food in Woolworths. He had his car keys in his hand. So I asked him why he was in Woolworths. He responded that he tried everywhere else. Take note that it costs R9 to park at Canal Walk.
Checkers/Pick 'n Pay/SPAR have run out of food?

satanboy

1706177497862.png
1706177607212.png
Firefighting resources are on the scene of a fire in the Tygerberg mountains that started earlier this morning. 11 firefighting appliances are on the scene. Aerial resources have also been activated. The fire started just after 7 this morning. At this stage, no properties are under threat.

Arzy

I put together a new gaming PC for myself over November / December, did all the effort of actual research and planning the parts so that they were fit for purpose with room for future upgrades.

Justification was that my gaming laptop died and I needed to replace it.

Hesitancy on pulling the trigger and the schlep of finding a single supplier who had all my parts caused a delay which allowed me to actually check the warranty on my laptop which was still covered. New motherboard later and I'm no longer buying a new PC :(

But it works out well, got over the spending urge and allowed me to refocus on the year ahead and financial responsibility.

All going well I'll have assisted the missus in getting a new side gig going, with a stable monthly income, which make my life a lot more comfortable.

scudsucker

Need a large Melkbos place to rent? I may have to go that route.
I can't afford a large Melkbos place.

I'm looking for a 1 room flat. Sadly.

My previous house was a incredible (self) renovated Victorian in Obs. 3 huge bedrooms and a granny cottage at the back. I threw so much money into it. Lovely house in so many ways.

After divorce I got like 1/3 of the value it sold for, and we sold too early; the investment in renovations was not realised in the sale.

I lost around 1.5 to 2 million there. I mean, it is hard to tell because I avoid looking at the math and records, but that is a decent estimate.

Last edited:

biometrics

I can't afford a large Melkbos place.

I'm looking for a 1 room flat. Sadly.

My previous house was a incredible (self) renovated Victorian in Obs. 3 huge bedrooms and a granny cottage at the back. I threw so much money into it. Lovely house in so many ways.

After divorce I got like 1/3 of the value it sold for, and we sold too early; the investment in renovations was not realised in the sale.

I lost around 1.5 to 2 million there. I mean, it is hard to tell because I avoid looking at the math and records, but that is a decent estimate.
Oh right, you must be handing over a huge chunk of cash monthly for the kids.

My parents divorced when I was young, certainly screwed up their lives.

biometrics

I put together a new gaming PC for myself over November / December, did all the effort of actual research and planning the parts so that they were fit for purpose with room for future upgrades.

Justification was that my gaming laptop died and I needed to replace it.

Hesitancy on pulling the trigger and the schlep of finding a single supplier who had all my parts caused a delay which allowed me to actually check the warranty on my laptop which was still covered. New motherboard later and I'm no longer buying a new PC :(

But it works out well, got over the spending urge and allowed me to refocus on the year ahead and financial responsibility.

All going well I'll have assisted the missus in getting a new side gig going, with a stable monthly income, which make my life a lot more comfortable.
Didn’t think you needed more money considering how often you travel on holidays. ;)

Arzy

Didn’t think you needed more money considering how often you travel on holidays. ;)

Holidays are my bane, I really enjoy travel and experiencing things. I get asked often why I don't take more photos and I honestly feel it steals from just enjoying what I'm doing.

But yeah, last year was busy. A lot of it was work related though and then I get some perks with those like having my wife join.

This year so far is a lot more subdued. Only have a trip booked for December. No talk yet of work travel.

Oh, and like 5 weekends already fucked with school camps where parents are encouraged to be active by having to tag along and arrange their own accommodation.

S

Sonikku

A guy came to ask me for money to buy his kids food in Woolworths. He had his car keys in his hand. So I asked him why he was in Woolworths. He responded that he tried everywhere else. Take note that it costs R9 to park at Canal Walk.
Career begging seems to be taking off.
That, and the beggars these days aspire to be fancy, want to be a cut above the regular bergies it would seem.

S

Sonikku

Most of the above was written by Bing :p

Yes, Summers are steamy to the point of unbearable. Running at 42 degrees C while idling is normal, it seems.
Today I am just done... sweating out of every pore, its just hot AF every day, makes me tired, bothers me, can't get stuff done because I feel so damn lethargic. Aircons not powerful enough

Nicholas

Today I am just done... sweating out of every pore, its just hot AF every day, makes me tired, bothers me, can't get stuff done because I feel so damn lethargic. Aircons not powerful enough
I've noticed that Cape Town has been struck by a bad case of the Summers. Do you have a desk fan?

S

Sonikku

I've noticed that Cape Town has been struck by a bad case of the Summers. Do you have a desk fan?
Floor fan, aircon in the next room, aircon in the lounge.
Here's the problem, the heat is so intense the aircon just cannot cope.