The Chat Room

Nicholas

It's a OnePlus 6t. No haven't tried it.

Nicholas

I accidentally overdosed on Friday night. Took the wrong medication at the wrong dosage. Notified the psychiatric nurse attached to the house. She said I'll live, might just have heightened anxiety, become hyperactive, and be more uncoordinated than usual.

Seem to be back to my usual indolent self today.

Johnatan56

Was Austria lucky enough to avoid most of the indiscriminate bombing?
Depends where, places like Salzburg had no bombs go off I think, Graz couple, and Vienna probably half the City got destroyed but it depends what sections, the allies didn't bomb the areas that they took over later.

Nicholas

Depends where, places like Salzburg had no bombs go off I think, Graz couple, and Vienna probably half the City got destroyed but it depends what sections, the allies didn't bomb the areas that they took over later.
It is a pity that those with the power to do elected to have civilians bombed.

Nicholas

I heard from my sister that the war in the Ukraine have pushed up prices of things such as power in England. The NHS has been struggling, too. there was a 90-odd year old woman who broke a bone and had to wait 40 hours for an ambulance,

What are we doing this week?

Nicholas

From what some Tolkien fans have been saying on YouTube, it sounds as though Amazon decided that "The Rings of Power" need not follow Tolkien's writings to the letter - and they won't stand for it.

Female dwarves and orcs? The horror!

I've heard that Amazon's adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" did not go down well, either.

Perhaps they should begin each episode of book adaptations with a disclaimer? :p

Last edited:

Johnatan56

I heard from my sister that the war in the Ukraine have pushed up prices of things such as power in England. The NHS has been struggling, too. there was a 90-odd year old woman who broke a bone and had to wait 40 hours for an ambulance,

What are we doing this week?
It did push up the prices, energy prices are based on the most expensive power in the mix (spot price).

There's currently talks in the EU to shift to a different system as it makes no sense to buy power from e.g. hydro (that's in the single digit cents per kWh) at the price of gas (it hit 1 EUR/kWh here), and in Austria, officially, 60-70% of all power is from hydro generation, 10% wind directly, and the other 20% is basically buy cheap power from somewhere else and store in dams for when needed (so near always wind), still hydro. E.g. I have no gas at all in my energy mix.

In most of the EU, energy produces are "private" but have majority shares owned by government, they could easily reach in and sort it out. Really annoyed by Austria's case as the price is just connected board members getting rich, and the more they delay any action, the more money those board members rake in for themselves, utterly stupid.

Even if they don't sort it out now, this will all balance by 2025 latest, lots of renewable should hit the markets by then, and lots of gas dependence will have shifted over, pretty much everyone is trying to move to heat pumps (I enquired in March since want to swap it at the one house, earliest I can get one for my area is early/mid 2023 since all installers have too many jobs, though that includes having to redo all the piping since heater is from the 1980's, piping nowadays needs a different width for pressure that helps the efficiency substantially, current piping is too thick so all needs to be swapped).

Johnatan56

It is a pity that those with the power to do elected to have civilians bombed.
Yes/no, places like Vienna had lots of the German forces hold out in the 1st district, you were also trying to bomb military targets like oil refineries, but being accurate in those times was be lucky. Something like 1/5th of all housing was destroyed, and since then maybe another 1/3 has been ripped down since cheaper to build a new building (sadly legislation to stop this only kicks in when it hits 100 years).

So most of the buildings now are 1850-1890 are fine, there needs to now be an "urgent" "need" to tear it down. The building I'm in now got demolished since they applied for it at the 95 year mark, neighboring building across the road is still a beautiful one from 1890, wanted to rent in it but spot only opened up two months after I got this place (old buildings have a rent cap as well, something like 4.15 EUR/m^2 for that age group, before certain other costs that push it to around 6-8 all-inclusive, I'm paying about 12).

Johnatan56

From what some Tolkien fans have been saying on YouTube, it sounds as though Amazon decided that "The Rings of Power" need not follow Tolkien's writings to the letter - and they won't stand for it.

Female dwarves and orcs? The horror!
No, female dwarves had beards is the issue.
Female orcs should not exist in that timeline, orcs are corrupted elves/men/beasts, they wouldn't have made female orcs as they're supposed to be soldiers, would not make sense.
I've heard that Amazon's adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" did not go down well, either.

Perhaps they should begin each episode of book adaptations with a disclaimer? :p
Definitely, they've destroyed the projects they've touched, very sad as they had the budget to do both well.

Nicholas

No, female dwarves had beards is the issue.
Female orcs should not exist in that timeline, orcs are corrupted elves/men/beasts, they wouldn't have made female orcs as they're supposed to be soldiers, would not make sense.

Definitely, they've destroyed the projects they've touched, very sad as they had the budget to do both well.
It has been a very long time since I read any Tolkien. :oops:

Cheap, mass-produced, biological killing machines? Does Tolkien ever speculate on how their numbers might have been replenished - especially after The War of Wrath?

Perhaps they should begin to call their productions fan fiction? :p