The Chat Room

Lara

Finally finished slogging through the reading and capturing part of today's work. Next: Try to make it presentable, email it out to the relevant people.

So over this.
That vacation looking increasingly attractive, isn't it? ;)

Nicholas

Thought you liked your job?
I like being employed and having an income.

I like being at our offices. I like the people there.

Years ago, there was more to work than reading tenders. I used to look up information for people, download their itemised billing for their cellphones and format it a certain way, there was still data capture to do, and I even got to do some of the easier work [such as software audits, installing software and setting up new computers, recording asset numbers from stickers on company property] and fetching, carrying, packing or unpacking things. Sometimes I would scan in document barcodes before they were sent to the data capturers for processing.
Our data capture department shut down several years ago, and our technical department hired more people, so there is no more picking up the slack for one of the three people in our technical department. Sometimes I would be given a document to go through to see if I could pick up mistakes or badly-written material. I even got to go through our train smash of a website with the intention of creating a list of what I thought needed fixing.

There are those days when it feels as if I am scrolling through advertisements endlessly and it gets a little much and I want to stop, but that would mean doing a half-baked job - something I don't want to do.

biometrics

I like being employed and having an income.

I like being at our offices. I like the people there.

Years ago, there was more to work than reading tenders. I used to look up information for people, download their itemised billing for their cellphones and format it a certain way, there was still data capture to do, and I even got to do some of the easier work [such as software audits, installing software and setting up new computers, recording asset numbers from stickers on company property] and fetching, carrying, packing or unpacking things. Sometimes I would scan in document barcodes before they were sent to the data capturers for processing.
Our data capture department shut down several years ago, and our technical department hired more people, so there is no more picking up the slack for one of the three people in our technical department. Sometimes I would be given a document to go through to see if I could pick up mistakes or badly-written material. I even got to go through our train smash of a website with the intention of creating a list of what I thought needed fixing.

There are those days when it feels as if I am scrolling through advertisements endlessly and it gets a little much and I want to stop, but that would mean doing a half-baked job - something I don't want to do.
I get it. Was more fun back then, now more of a slog. Still like having my job. But yeah, things are a bit sucky. My dynamics are a bit different, been the main developer and a partner for 15 years. No pension plan but lots of "freedom".

biometrics

I get it. Was more fun back then, now more of a slog. Still like having my job. But yeah, things are a bit sucky. My dynamics are a bit different, been the main developer and a partner for 15 years. No pension plan but lots of "freedom".
Weeks work done, none of my colleagues online, decided to go for lunch. Can honestly say I derived no pleasure from going to lunch, having some beers and going to another venue for more beers. I feel as, or more, grumpy than before. So honestly life has become a slog, and that's not cool.

How do our resident mind workers deal with this? @SlinkyMike and others?

Nicholas

There are good day and bad days. I still have to work on sometimes feeling disappointed in myself for not making any more of myself than a semi-skilled worker, nor finding something I am somewhat competent at, and then teaching myself everything I can about that. I don't have much staying power, usually dropping whatever it is I am trying after a week or two. Or maybe I am not even trying any more. There is such a thing as learned helplessness.

Nicholas

Weeks work done, none of my colleagues online, decided to go for lunch. Can honestly say I derived no pleasure from going to lunch, having some beers and going to another venue for more beers. I feel as, or more, grumpy than before. So honestly life has become a slog, and that's not cool.

How do our resident mind workers deal with this? @SlinkyMike and others?
Mind worker?
R.af991eecd608fbe78ab45ef7c3edca9c

Nicholas

I'm not feeling as drowsy as I often do. That's different.

Sometimes, people will have expectations of us that suggest that they don't know us at all. My former English teachers expected me to write for the fun of it in my spare time [as many published authors seem to have done, often making up stories from an early age. Well, I couldn't pull rabbits out of hats, and only produced anything because we were required to write x about y as homework. It was even worse when we had to write something for an English exam, where I had only about an hour to produce the goods, but had no words in my head. This external expectation has been the easiest for me to ignore, so I'm not tearing myself up about not writing a blog or fan fiction or submitting stories for publication.

I'm bad with numbers and abstract concepts, and flaky when it comes to reasoning, so not much expectation there on my part, which makes having signed up for a science degree bonkers. I was younger and thought I could do just about anything then - despite evidence to the contrary!
😜 [duh!]

My favourite Microsoft Office program is Word.