The Chat Room

Rudolph Hart

Poor little chap.

I am glad that I was able to avoid conscription. I didn't want to be shot at or to hurt anyone, and I have heard that conscripts were subjected to all sorts of abuse during basic training. As it was, I probably would have been declared medically unfit.
Most of those stories have grown larger over the years, just like the people telling them.

Tribs

Most of those stories have grown larger over the years, just like the people telling them.
Nope - I remember my friends being conscripted and watching them change. Not in good ways for most of them. One of my friends was so picked on as he was small and cute - he ended up in a mental hospital for a few years. I was dating a guy at the time - and he became racist and violent.

Granted for some people it was a good experience. But for most I think it was really rough.

Nicholas

Nope - I remember my friends being conscripted and watching them change. Not in good ways for most of them. One of my friends was so picked on as he was small and cute - he ended up in a mental hospital for a few years. I was dating a guy at the time - and he became racist and violent.

Granted for some people it was a good experience. But for most I think it was really rough.
I did standard 3 and 4 in Barkly East at a school that catered for both boys and girls. Lessons were given in English or Afrikaans up to the end of standard 4. Unless they had something against me in particular, English-speaking children were picked on - even by some of the teachers.
My response was passive-aggressive: I refused to sing the school song as well as the national anthem. :sneaky::oops:

Nicholas

I did that throughout my high school career.
After Barkly East, we moved to Queenstown, where I completed standard 5 and half of standard 6. Half way through 1989, we moved to East London. We didn't sing anything at all at the new high school I went to.

1634126304224.png