Sick members

Tribs

I was told hubby was improving. He had been without the mask and on the tubes for oxygen. And two hours later he died.
It happens quickly.

Venomous

It was a shock.

But that is over. The elderly woman here is going to drive me nuts. I think she has dementia.
Oh fuck.
Does she make whiney waling sounds.
There was 1 lady like that in the section, but not same ward room and every time she was touched she made that sound. Bed bath, eating, drinking etc.
(one lady in the room asked a nurse, and that was the answer)
Turns out not all old age homes have frail care with medical facilities, so when those "far away" patients get ill they are simply dumped in a hospital.

Unfortunately for this old lady (probably same as the one in your ward room) got covid.

Nicholas

It was a shock.

But that is over. The elderly woman here is going to drive me nuts. I think she has dementia.
As annoying as it can be - and I would also become annoyed in your place - it is heart-breaking to see people you have known your entire life die this way.

Venomous

My uncle in Gqeberha died not long after he was brought out of a medically induced coma.
I am so sorry that you and your family lost him. 🤗
When was this?

Things like this is what makes me wonder if my drug resistance is not what saved me....

They tried medical coma, I wouldn't go sleep, so they drugged me constantly.
I faded between being awake and sleeping. Watching them on the otherside of the glass door.

Nicholas

I am so sorry that you and your family lost him. 🤗
When was this?

Things like this is what makes me wonder if my drug resistance is not what saved me....

They tried medical coma, I wouldn't go sleep, so they drugged me constantly.
I faded between being awake and sleeping. Watching them on the otherside of the glass door.
Thank you Venomous, and if I may, 🤗. It happened in early February. His brother had it and survived late last year, while another relative had a less severe case.

Perhaps it has something to do with your being an exceptionally resilient [and determined] human being?

Were you ever not certain whether you were awake, or what was happening around you was a dream?

There was young man at a school not far from me who enjoyed his weight training and athletics who also died of it - so being younger doesn't seem to mean that the virus can't be lethal. It must be terrible for a parent to have to bury/cremate their child.

Tribs

Thank you Venomous, and if I may, 🤗. It happened in early February. His brother had it and survived late last year, while another relative had a less severe case.

Perhaps it has something to do with your being an exceptionally resilient [and determined] human being?

Were you ever not certain whether you were awake, or what was happening around you was a dream?

There was young man at a school not far from me who enjoyed his weight training and athletics who also died of it - so being younger doesn't seem to mean that the virus can't be lethal. It must be terrible for a parent to have to bury/cremate their child.
That to me would be the worst

Venomous

The only part that felt like a dream, and still does, is Sun 18 July,. That was when mr and daughter were there after the call at 20:00.
I didn't even "remember that dream" for nearly a week after my drugged week.
(mr was called to come say bye and do last rights* etc)
I was stabilised around midnight with oxygen at 73. Bottom third of lungs were "flooded", so they couldn't expect better. By latest 3am I was in high care, connected to even more machines. Person that was in there passed away just after midnight. So room had to be sterilised first.
(this is why I say surviving earned me the privilege of the high care room)

I remember much of what drs did. There were 4 drs at one point.

I remember the arterial drip going in. That was fucking sore. Worst drip insertion pain ever. Apparently that's why they do the tap so they don't have to cause that pain everyday.
The other drips.
The stuff put into my right leg.
Dr bitching his drugs are finished "and she's not going down"
Insert of catheter
The everything
Only thing I only remember part of is the intubation stuff going in. Coz I passed out. But I was fully awake and not drugged when they took out the intubation stuff.

While family were there (feels like a dream)
Apparently I was being injected every 5-10min with a muscle relaxant as I would start convulsing
(I will ask the dr about this during my 6week check. I suspect the drugs were to make it easier for family to visit. More than for me needing it.)

Many other people talk about being suspended and being face down.

I was on my back in a typical hospital bed with my arms permanently restrained(unless they were washing me coz I needed to be rolled. Legs they restrained at times.

Apparently I pulled on the pipes and cables while sleeping.
And sometimes I would kick at them. I suspect they were touching my right foot.
There is a line starting near toes and goes most of the way to back of heal. If you touch it I involuntary kick out. It is a piece between where nerves are dead and the live ones are. I absolutely HATE it being touched. I can't even control the kick, it just happens.

*I have zero religion in me, but most of family are very. Couple of priests etc (fucking thankfully they were/are too fucking far or fucking last rights woulda fucking been done)

After I seemed out of danger and got my phone back, all the family on the groups were praising, and stuff. I was just thankful to be alive! So I let them be/do/say whatever...

I just didn't respond.
My ones cousin called me.
My response "agh, fuck whatever. Leave 'em, it makes 'em happy."
Him: Will you ever change?
Me: You want me to .... sadistic..... (I'll spare you all the rant)
Him: I'll keep praying for your soul
Me: Whatever makes you happy. Go butter your mielie.
Me: Bye now. Chat again another day.
I tried religion, really I did, different versions of christianity also. Tried for years. And the clean version is: It is not for me.

I hope that clarifies a few things.

Venomous

I was very nearly my mother's first child to bury.

For years she has been processing that she will probably have to bury my older brother.
There is no cancer history in our family, yet he got a cancer that normally much older people get.
They left him, and left him, and left him. Treated him in later stages.
It is a lymphatic cancer.
The drs promised him that will buy him 5 years, but will be back worse, and he won't make it through that round.
It was clear for 2 years.
Returned in lymp, skin and somewhere else (can't remember now)
They somehow got it cleared.
For now his health is ok.
He won't survive a covid infection as the first treatment destroyed his immune system and it never fully recovered.
March 2022 will be a decade, and he was given 5 years max...

We all know his time is more borrowed than the rest of us.

I keep in touch with my brother.

Last edited:

Tribs

I was very nearly my mother's first child to bury.

For years she has been processing that she will probably have to bury my older brother.
There is no cancer history in our family, yet he got a cancer that normally much older people get.
They left him, and left him, and left him. Treated him in later stages.
It is a lymphatic cancer.
The drs promised him that will buy him 5 years, but will be back worse, and he won't make it through that round.
It was clear for 2 years.
Returned in lymp, skin and somewhere else (can't remember now)
They somehow got it cleared.
For now his health is ok.
He won't survive a covid infection as the first treatment destroyed his immune system and it never fully recovered.
March 2022 will be a decade, and he was given 5 years max...

We all know his time is more borrowed than the rest of us.

I keep in touch with my brother.
I am sorry - what parents leave their kid to suffer like that ?! Yes I know your history but this is criminal (so is the rest mind you). I can only imagine he hates them for what they put him through.

And yes - we are temporary.

Tribs

My drip failed this morning - they had to take it out. They will try and find a new spot around 11. So think of me - I don't mind needles but I am really not a fan of pain.

Yes my hands are really old lol - but then I guess - so am I
1630221769355.png
Hand and arm swollen
1630221800463.png
Luckily it goes down quite quickly when not being refilled all the time. But it is really sore.

Venomous

I am sorry - what parents leave their kid to suffer like that ?! Yes I know your history but this is criminal (so is the rest mind you). I can only imagine he hates them for what they put him through.

And yes - we are temporary.
She's not leaving him to suffer. She's there whenever he snap a finger or requests anything. (he is also in the UK)

For all we know his cancer could be back tomorrow.

You also forgetting that she really preferred her sons for all my growing up years....

Them moving to the UK was the best thing for her and my relationship.

While I won't ever say this to her...
As horrible as this experience was for me it has been an enlightening experience to watch and (emotionally) feel her care.

Venomous

My drip failed this morning - they had to take it out. They will try and find a new spot around 11. So think of me - I don't mind needles but I am really not a fan of pain.

Yes my hands are really old lol - but then I guess - so am I
View attachment 28325
Hand and arm swollen
View attachment 28326
Luckily it goes down quite quickly when not being refilled all the time. But it is really sore.
Ouch. 🤗

Yeah. It is not fun when they start poking around for a new site.

The thumb one hurts almost as much as the arterial needle. So definitely NOT recommended! It also hurts a bit when you move the thumb.

I don't mind pain. I have a high pain threshold.
I absolutely HATE needles.
I can't even watch them injecting others.

Tribs

No I need to watch the needles go in. And I tolerate the pain because I want to get out of here and be well. But really not looking forward to them doing this again.

Venomous

No I need to watch the needles go in. And I tolerate the pain because I want to get out of here and be well. But really not looking forward to them doing this again.
If I watched them I'd probably end up smacking them.

I can totally understand the need to go home. I hope the meds work and that it never comes back.

Coz damn between everything that been thrown at you in the last 6-8 weeks it's now damn enough!