SADF members

Tribs

Anyone who served in the old SADF care to comment on what's happening in this photo?

View attachment 1022
Learning how to shoot all their weapons ? Playing soggy marie ?

'''Pielparade''' is an Afrikaans colloquial term commonly used by South African military personnel, especially servicemen and veterans of the old South African Defense Force (S.A.D.F.), which has also entered mainstream South African English as slang. The term means '***** parades' and refers to a range of sexual games or practices in which groups of soldiers participate, supposedly to foster group cohesion. Since pielparade are taboo, and because of the controversial and sensitive nature of the activities of the S.A.D.F. during the final period of the apartheid era, pielparade are rarely written about or openly discussed in public. Pielparade have never been officially sanctioned, and their occurrence largely depended on the predilections of individual section or platoon leaders. Apart from promoting group cohesiveness, the games were also meant to be humorous and to entertain the troops.

greg0205

Laundry day?

We had to do some weird and disgusting things during basic and second phase. That wasn't one of 'em.

I'll say this 'tho... If that was part of an opfok, the likelihood of leopard crawling was reduced to zero, and that was always a good thing.

HelterSkelter

We had an Lt who inspected our dicks.
One! - You take your dick out.
Two, three...
One! - You pull the foreskin back.

Dave

don't think so. Either anti-aircraft troops or stores admin getting a opvok

I have no personal experience of the SADF, but one thing I noticed is no mags on the R4's and no link on the GPMG so likely not operational.

I also think it would be a lot more common knowledge if the stories in @Tribs links actually happened with any frequency.

Tribs

I have no personal experience of the SADF, but one thing I noticed is no mags on the R4's and no link on the GPMG so likely not operational.

I also think it would be a lot more common knowledge if the stories in @Tribs links actually happened with any frequency.
I think it is isolated. I know a few guys who have played soggy marie - but they are not familiar with the rest of the games.

Textile Guy

All have R4s and the newer webbing - so this pic was likely taken after 84 or 85?

Papa Smurf

something not right with that photo
no one in SADF had a tanned ass
there was never time to do that
we were all black from sun exposure on face and hands and nothing else
rest of body was as white as the fucking Sun

greg0205

They're wearing black-is-beautiful camouflage on their faces. The only time I did that was in basic training.

No point blacking out your face when you're driving down the cutline in a Casspir.