SA govt aims to introduce 0% alcohol rate for drivers

R

[)roi(]

Great way to destroy restaurants.
If I can't go to a restaurant , enjoy a meal and drink a beer or two; then I have no use for restaurants.

That's what voting for communists gets you.

R

[)roi(]

Nope.
Impractical, e.g.
  • I'm out shopping feel like a meal instead of home cooking, so I must first go home and then call an Uber.
  • I'm leaving work, feel like a meal and a few drinks with friends, so I must first go home and then call an Uber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Nope.
Impractical, e.g.
  • I'm out shopping feel like a meal instead of home cooking, so I must first go home and then call an Uber.
  • I'm leaving work, feel like a meal and a few drinks with friends, so I must first go home and then call an Uber.

That's how it works in most parts of the world if you are having more than a single drink.

Frankly, a lot of South Africans have quite a lackadaisical attitude to drunken driving, and while a 0% limit is a bit far something is needed to change attitudes.

Last edited:

biometrics

That's how it works in most parts of the world if you are having more than a single drink.

Frankly, a lot of South Africans have quite a lackadaisical attitude to drunken driving, and while a 0% limit is a bit far something is needed to change attitudes.
The current limit is enough to have two beers in the first hour and then a beer per hour afterwards. That is enough for most people that want to eat out.

Dave

The current limit is enough to have two beers in the first hour and then a beer per hour afterwards. That is enough for most people that want to eat out.

True, but I was pretty shocked on my last visit just how many people staggered out of the club and jumped into cars and somehow drove out of the car park, it was a large minority of the members, and they appeared to be completely blasé about doing so.

R

[)roi(]

That's how it works in most parts of the world if you are having more than a single drink. Frankly, a lot of South Africans have quite a lackadaisical attitude to drunken driving, and while a 0% limit is a bit far something is needed to change attitudes.
Rubbish.

I've lived in UK, France, Spain, Italy and Singapore; and one thing that's consistently better than SA is public transport and neither has a zero limit.
Maybe if the communists focused instead on improving that it would be far less of a problem for consumers and the restaurants.

R

[)roi(]

Not rubbish. He is correct.
You say "rubbish" and then don't refute anything I said...
Nope.
e.g. I'm in the London or Barcelona or Paris or Singapore; a subway / metro / ... ride is a short distance away; plus neither have zero rates; so I can have a beer or two and still drive.

SA with the rule will have neither a good public transport or a considerate rate, so the impracticality means I'll be drinking at home.
Anyone who thinks this won't affect restaurants is ignorant.

Dave

Nope.
e.g. I'm in the London or Barcelona or Paris or Singapore; a subway / metro / ... ride is a short distance away; plus neither have zero rates; so I can have a beer or two and still drive.

SA with the rule will have neither a good public transport or a considerate rate, so the impracticality means I'll be drinking at home.

You still haven't written anything that contradicts my post...

Dave

Try reading my post again, especially the bit about 0%.

Nope. as I said that's rubbish.

Except you're saying exactly the same thing in your post, in most of the world when people are going to be drinking they leave the car at home and use public transport or a taxi 😂.

[)roi(] said:
I'm in the London or Barcelona or Paris or Singapore; a subway / metro / ... ride is a short distance away

R

[)roi(]

Try reading my post again, especially the bit about 0%.

Except you're saying exactly the same thing in your post, in most of the world when people are going to be drinking they leave the car at home and use public transport or a taxi 😂.
...and that works in SA because?
...and restaurant revenue won't be impacted because?

You've discounted bugger all, point is if it's less convenient restaurants will suffer.
In Europe I hardly ever drive to work or for groceries; in SA there's no other option.

Dave

...and that works in SA because?
...and restaurant revenue won't be impacted because?

You've discounted bugger all, point is if it's less convenient restaurants will suffer.
In Europe I hardly ever drive to work or for groceries; in SA there's no other option.

There's no Uber in SA? I thought there was, silly me. What about Taxify then?

PS, having to use a taxi, bus or train in the rest of the world is also less convenient than just jumping into your car, unfortunately drunken driving is treated more seriously and you've got to put up with the less convenient transport methods and not drive drunk.