SA govt aims to introduce 0% alcohol rate for drivers

Dave

Minister of Transport Fikile Mbalula has formally introduced the National Road Traffic Amendment Bill to parliament.

The bill aims to introduce dozens of new traffic and motoring-related changes including further regulations around driving schools, licences and traffic wardens.

Arguably the biggest change relates to a new zero-tolerance approach to drunk driving,

Clause 46 introduces a total prohibition for the use and consumption of alcohol by all motor vehicle operators on South African public roads.

It does this by deleting reference to any alcohol content in the blood or breath specimen of motor vehicle drivers on the road in South Africa.

SauRoN

Surely it’s not possible to have a zero alcohol blood level all of the time and this is why all countries have a stated level?

Otherwise you’ll be on medication or have “zero” alcohol beer and still register as drunk?

Sent from my iPhone

Textile Guy

Arguably the biggest change relates to a new zero-tolerance approach to drunk driving,

:ROFLMAO: Thats funny cause they couldnt even enforce whatever the last rule was

Tribs

How are they going to get us to take breathalyzers? I am not putting something in my mouth with this Covid going around

satanboy

So they are going to take every person they suspect of having had one drink to go and draw blood? There is no way they are doing that on the side of the road.

No, only people that refuse the breathalizer. Hasn't it been that rule for years?

Tribs

No, only people that refuse the breathalizer. Hasn't it been that rule for years?
Well I will be refusing until I know stuff like that is safe. Nothing goes into my mouth without a health certificate 😂