Over 18 (was 35, 50) in SA? Register for vaccination NOW!

biometrics

Thanks bio.

Guess it's a wait and see thing.
Several of us registered last night already before the official opening today. They stated before it’s FIFO system so I’m hoping for the 15th or soon thereafter. I’m in Hermanus though so not sure if they operate every day here.

greg0205

Several of us registered last night already before the official opening today. They stated before it’s FIFO system so I’m hoping for the 15th or soon thereafter. I’m in Hermanus though so not sure if they operate every day here.
Yeah, reckon Jhb will be reasonably quick simply because it has more vaccination centres.

Smashed the register button just after twelve and got the SMS this morning.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Stock isn't a problem in SA anymore.
No, it definitely is in terms of timeline, check the population pyramid of South Africa, going over 60 wasn't that many doses, over 50 is also not that much and that will take months. Now try and go over 18/rest of population, it will take until next year some time.

biometrics

No, it definitely is in terms of timeline, check the population pyramid of South Africa, going over 60 wasn't that many doses, over 50 is also not that much and that will take months. Now try and go over 18/rest of population, it will take until next year some time.
There is enough stock for the program and they have already said it will take until Q1 2022 to complete.

The problem at the moment is vaccine hesitancy. Less than 50% of the over 60s got vaccinated. There was more than enough stock.

Johnatan56

There is enough stock for the program and they have already said it will take until Q1 2022 to complete.

The problem at the moment is vaccine hesitancy. Less than 50% of the over 60s got vaccinated. There was more than enough stock.
I kind of doubt hesitancy due to the general population not actually thinking medical through, I think it's more likely in regards to either not knowing they can get or SMS not coming through etc.

And 2022Q1 is a very long time. E.g. most of Austria is expected to hit 80% by August, most of Europe is the same/better. South Africa is taking advantage now of the fact that USA and Europe have started needing less supply and have purposefully over ordered, the question is more whether SA will get them or other countries, and how South Africa is going to sort out vaccination centers etc.

I'm still curious whether it will end up being e.g. Discovery administering them all/offering it to anyone even if not medical aid to vaccinate at their stations.

satanboy

Edge - I am still unable to use Discovery to register...."Province" comes up as "-".
Firefox - Login button doesn't work.
Chrome - "Province" comes up as "-".

Last edited: