Member scribbles

Nicholas

Erm....is there a relationship between not being able to express ones' self coherently [or to one's own satisfaction] when speaking and being able to write? I have an imaginary character or two in mind who I have sometimes tried to depict using software like DAZ 3D, iClone, and Metahuman Creator, but I know barely anything about their history and personality. [I have found some music that I feel "fits" them.]

Tribs

Erm....is there a relationship between not being able to express ones' self coherently [or to one's own satisfaction] when speaking and being able to write? I have an imaginary character or two in mind who I have sometimes tried to depict using software like DAZ 3D, iClone, and Metahuman Creator, but I know barely anything about their history and personality. [I have found some music that I feel "fits" them.]
I think your standards are way too high - that leads to writer's block. It is a fear I have in most things - that it won't be as good in reality as it is in my head. It is something I am working at. Your character depictions are amazing. You are too critical - why do you want them to be perfect. Let the motions you use to make them - create what they look like and what their personalities are.

Nicholas

I think your standards are way too high - that leads to writer's block. It is a fear I have in most things - that it won't be as good in reality as it is in my head. It is something I am working at. Your character depictions are amazing. You are too critical - why do you want them to be perfect. Let the motions you use to make them - create what they look like and what their personalities are.
Nah - perfection is unattainable

Do you mean "emotions"?

I shared some of my stuff with my family on Wednesday night. They wanted to know more about them. I told them that I knew almost nothing about them. They said that I should write about them. While they have existed in my imagination for yonks, they are represented as pictures rather than bodies of text. Putting down words is hard if I don't already have them in my head. I was wondering whether there is a link between the ability to communicate verbally and that of being able to produce a work of creative writing.

Tribs

Nah - perfection is unattainable

Do you mean "emotions"?

I shared some of my stuff with my family on Wednesday night. They wanted to know more about them. I told them that I knew almost nothing about them. They said that I should write about them. While they have existed in my imagination for yonks, they are represented as pictures rather than bodies of text. Putting down words is hard if I don't already have them in my head. I was wondering whether there is a link between the ability to communicate verbally and that of being able to produce a work of creative writing.
Write what you see in your mind. My writing comes from within the windows of my mind

Nicholas

Nicholas: Have you found that most of the imaginary characters you create tend towards power fantasies?

It makes for a dull story, but I have been playing around with something that begins like the end of the initial run of Ms Marvel, which sees her depowered by the Mutant, Rogue.

Tribs

Nicholas: Have you found that most of the imaginary characters you create tend towards power fantasies?

It makes for a dull story, but I have been playing around with something that begins like the end of the initial run of Ms Marvel, which sees her depowered by the Mutant, Rogue.
I like that idea

Nicholas

I have scrap paper that I am going to scribble on. It was used to wrap an item of crockery, and reminds me of the paper my maternal grandmother would tear for me from the large rolls of cheap paper she kept in her garage.

@Tribs
let me clarify that when I say scribble, I mean any pen or pencil marks: they don't have to be anything coherent, so anyone who was expecting The Scrumptious Adventures of Mindy Asphodel will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Nicholas

@Tribs

WritingForums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Nicholas

Fantastic - thanks. Will join one day. For now I spend time writing to-do lists :D
To do:

1. Ponder the texture of freshly-sheared wool.
2. Is it windy? If so, go and sit outside and close your eyes.
3. Try to listen to the sound of people whispering without being creeped out.
4. Slowly run a finger along the inner sides of my fingers
5. Take a walk
6. Press your hands up against a cold service
7. Watch something on YouTube without reading or contributing to the comments
8. Think about what I might have done if I had got a service award.
9. Stare into the distance