Member scribbles

Tribs

Why not. I did this on another forum, in another life. So will play catchup and start by posting old stuff - and then finishing what I started. The Ramblings of a Cat has become mere scribbles

These are all bad. All a work in progress. Feel free to judge - but it is easier just to walk away.

Stops and Starts

the look,
the smile,
the silent contract
made across a crowded room.

the touch,
on skin,
traced in heat.

the lips part,
the heat radiates,
joins, excites, blends,

the wet cools,
thrills, moves, heats.
tracing our paths with touch,
with heat and passion.

movement in union,
the stars ascend,
the time removed,
stopped and gone.

heat recedes, the tide
contracts,
the breath softens,
stops.
and starts again.
----------------------
I recently learnt a phrase that describes what I wrote - Le Peite mort
La petite mort (French pronunciation: [la pətit mɔʁ], the little death) is an expression which means "the brief loss or weakening of consciousness" and in modern usage refers specifically to "the sensation of post orgasm as likened to death." ... The first attested use with the meaning of "orgasm" was only in 1882.

Last edited:

Tribs

Still working on a title for this - and trying to complete it

My thoughts swam through the darkness of the night
Memories merged, twisted and morphed
Tails of emotion slashed the remnants of the day
The sigh, not able to comfort the mind,
Escaped the darkness and found its freedom.
Lost, images formed and melted, danced and faded
I was alone, but peace would not come.

Somewhere in the distance a dog greeted a stranger
His eagerness betrayed his fear
I heard a stone hit the ground and the dog yelped.
Silence.
Monsters formed in the recesses of my mind
Not yet visible, they dominated my thoughts
I felt the urge to scream, to run.
But movement was impossible.

A thought emerged from the chaos
It stood alone, weak, uncertain.
I waited for it to come to my aid
I waited in vain.

Tribs

And I started writing a story. I had a dream when I was 16. Had that dream several times over a few years. The dream was the same every time so I jotted down notes when I was 18. I started writing it a few years ago = but life intervenes. (yes it has been a very long time - and still isn't finished)

--------

Cara looked towards what should be the other side and thought to herself “Does this really end?” It seemed unlikely. The soft white sand stretched before her. A tiny tongue licked her foot and brought her attention back to the present.

She looked down and smiled at the ball of fur. Yukshi could barely contain his excitement. The little chap bounced as though his paws were fitted with springs. His white fur was almost as white as the sand that stretched before them. Almost, not quite. Cara thought that she had never seen anything that white. His little dark eyes looked pleadingly at her. He wanted to feel the soft sand on his little paws and couldn’t understand her hesitation.

“Ok, let’s go” said Cara rather shakily. She placed her foot on the sand. It felt solid enough but she had been warned not to trust her eyes. Looking over her shoulder, she could still see the hill and the little stream where they had spent the night. She longed for the certainty she had felt while listening to the water bubble over the pebbles. She knew that each step would take her further away from the safety of home and a reality she knew and trusted.

The yelp from Yukshi brought her crashing back to the present. She turned and stared, expecting the worst. It took a few seconds for her to locate his white fur on the even whiter sand. It had not been a yelp of pain or fear, but one of joy. The little dog was rolling and tumbling in the silky soft sand.

Cara’s long blonde hair moved gently in the breeze and she smiled. It had been a long time since she had seen him this happy. She almost felt as though he knew where they were going – well not really where, as she didn’t even know that herself. But she felt he knew why. He missed Martin too, and she felt he knew that they would see him again soon.

She took a few more steps and could feel her fears and concerns and uncertainty fade with each step. She felt light. The immense sorrow she had felt seemed to slip away.

A strange sound escaped her lips. It sounded foreign and startled her. It happened again! It was laughter! Had it really been so long? Had she forgotten the sound? She laughed again and felt a smile on her face. The face that had resigned itself to the overwhelming sorrow she had made her own. She was no longer walking either, but skipping, now running.

The soft sand seemed to flow under her feet. She called to Yukshi and he bounded towards her. He looked as though he would burst with joy. Together they rolled around in the sand, laughing and yelping. This was the freest she had ever felt. “Oh Yukshi, why are we so happy? I love this place! I never want to leave.” As those last words left her mouth, she sat up straight. “What?!” Why one earth would she say that? “What are we doing?” she asked. She sat dumbfounded in the sand. She felt no sadness. Her ever-companion was gone. She felt light inside, happy. She liked this feeling. “Is it possible? Can this be real?”

Could those months of pain, of sadness, really be gone? She looked at her little dog languishing blissfully in the sand. She had not seen him this happy in ages. Surely this was better. Looking around, all she could see was sand. Which direction had they come from? Why was the sun so low in the sky? Surely it had only been a few minutes since they stepped onto the sand. Slowly the feelings of joy began to morph into something else. Something sinister. Icy tendrils wrapped themselves around her insides. She felt them slither through her. With each breath they grew tighter. Their hold on her was unbearable. Yukshi seemed blissfully unaware of this change in her and was searching for the errant flea that bothered him periodically.

Why had her happiness left her? What was wrong with this place? Why did she want to stay here so badly – no actually – need to stay here? A tiny voice, deep within her, whispered. She tried to make out the words. They were muffled, as though something was choking them. They came again, this time more determined to be heard. She listened but they made no sense.

“…….forgetful…..” is all she understood. She listened harder, but there was silence. She heard only the waves breaking along the beach. “Waves!” she shouted. Yukshi jumped to attention. “We are on the first beach!” She sprang to her feet. Now what had the old man told her?

“The first beach – watch out – the sands of forgetfulness” or something like that. She never really listened well. “Come pup, we must go.” Yukshi looked at her with what she imagined was confusion. “I know, it is wonderful to have forgotten the sadness, but we need that sadness. We must finish what we started.”

The little dog looked wistfully at the sand and seemed to sigh. Surely not, he was just a dog. How could he possibly understand? He stood beside her and his eyes seems to say “Well, which way?”

Cara looked around – very good question she thought. Noticing her footprints in the sand, she turned towards the sunset and determinedly said “That way.” They started off towards the golden orb, which had already begun to turn orange. They walked in silence, both enjoying the memory of how it felt to be without the sadness. Cara really hoped that they weren’t making a big mistake.

The soft white sand came to an abrupt end. It just stopped, without warning. Cara stopped too, as did Yukshi. They were reluctant to step onto the next beach. There were 5, this was no. 2. What could she remember about this one? She looked down at the perfectly spherical pebbles, or were they stones? She wondered what the difference was. What made a pebble a pebble instead of a stone? “Stop delaying” she chided herself. “Pebbles are probably found near water” her brain answered. Why did it always need to do that – answer her questions? She sighed and took the first step. The pebbles shifted beneath her feet and made a crunching sound. Yukshi looked at her as if to say “I am not walking on that!” “Come on boy.” She tried to lighten her voice but the sadness had already returned. He seemed to shake his head and sat down. “Darnit dog! You are the most stubborn of all the dogs.” She scooped him up.

Walking on the stones was not as easy as on the sand, nor as much fun. Each foot shifted the stones and she was scared she would slip. It was like walking on oversized marbles.

Yukshi wasn’t making things any easier either. The flea had returned and was somewhere on his paw. He kept trying to nip it. His movement reminded her of a bobble-head – one that would not stop bobbing.

“Stop it now!” she said in exasperation. “Stop moving or I will put you down. He licked her nose. He knew how much she hated that but enjoyed her reaction immensely. She squealed. He tried it again but she managed to dodge just in time. She grabbed his snoot with her free hand and trapped his little pink tongue inside his mouth. He squirmed. Angrily she put him down. She glared at him.

“If you are going to be so silly, you can walk on your own feet. I am tired of carrying you anyway.” Yukshi glared back at her. This was her “other” side. He did not like this side. Her voice became shrill and hurt his ears. Her usually pretty face was contorted into a much sterner, and much uglier, one. Why had he agreed to come with her? He wasn’t going to take a step further until she apologised. His inner voice chided him that he was actually yet to take a step, but he dismissed it quickly.

He sat with his little bum planted firmly on the pebbles. Cara pushed him with her foot and he nearly lost his balance. He snapped at her, and instantly regretted it. What was happening to them? He loved her more than life itself. Were it not for her, he would not have survived puppyhood. Why was this beach so much harder than the last?

Cara collapsed in tears. It was the first time ever that Yukshi had snapped at her. How could she be so cruel and unkind? She wrapped her arms around him and her tears fell onto his soft fur. He smelled warm, and like home. He nuzzled under her chin, deeply regretting his loss of temper.

This must be the beach of turmoil and strife. She disliked it. Picking up Yukshi, she walked as quickly as she could to the red orb on the horizon. Noticing that, although it had changed colour, it was no lower in the sky than before. They walked the rest of the way in silence, both mulling thoughtfully over the events that had transpired.

Last edited:

Tribs

contd....

It seemed like forever before they reached the border with the next beach. Cara looked at the sun and she could have sworn that it hadn’t moved an inch.

She looked at the “sand” on the new beach. Sand was being used very loosely she noted. She bent down and picked up a handful of the stuff. It was freezing cold and very sharp. It cut into the flesh of her hand and tiny beads of blood formed on her pink skin. “Ouch!” she threw the stuff down. She examined her hand. The damage was superficial. She wiped her hand on her white skirt. She looked at the red smudge – a reminder to be more careful next time.

She sat down on the round pebbles and stared blankly at the sharp crystal shards. “Now what?” she asked Yukshi. He sat down beside her and shrugged his shoulders. “What now indeed” he thought. Together they sat in silence, watching the last rays of the sun dance on the strange ground. Eventually Cara turned her attention towards the water. She had not really paid much heed to it as it was of little consequence. The beaches are what had to be crossed, not the water. The gentle waves caressed the beach. Water flowed forward, and then retracted. Forward and back, forward and back. She began to feel sleepy. The waves glinted as they picked up the crystal shards and moved them forward, only to carry them back again. Forward and back, forward and back. If those stupid round pebbles weren’t so hard, she would curl up on them and go to sleep. “Round” the word ran through her mind. How had they become so perfectly round? So smooth. The waves? Could it be? She stood up and stretched her aching legs. Yukshi followed suit. Together they walked towards the water’s edge, making sure to stay on the correct beach. No more ouches for today.

She was right? It was the movement of the water. All that back and forth motion had turned the little crystal shards into coloured marbles. She picked up a handful. They were cold and very smooth. This was the way across!
She took a step onto the beach and landed on her bum. She sat there dazed – and sore. Yukshi ran to see if she was alright and his little feet slipped out from under him and he landed on his belly. This was worse than the little pond when it froze over in the winter. Yukshi tried to stand up again but his feet wouldn’t stay where he had put them. He landed on his belly again. Cara felt a smile grabbing the corners of her mouth. She tried pulling them back. Yukshi would be hurt if she laughed at him. But she couldn’t stop the smile - or the laugh that escaped. He looked so cute and bewildered lying there on the marbles. Yukshi was thinking about how mad he was going to be if she didn’t stop laughing when she too was on her back. She had tried to get up and go and console him, but was clearly just as bad as he was. He felt doggy laughter bubbling up in his chest. She looked so silly with her legs in the air. She rolled over onto her stomach. Trying to stand wasn’t going to work here. Yukshi stayed on his belly and leopard crawled towards Cara. “Clever little pup” she mused. He crept alongside her, until he reached her face. He lunged forward and licked her on the nose. She shrieked. How she hated it, and how he loved doing it to her. She burst out laughing again and wiped her now wet nose.

“You are onto something there pup, but I don’t think I can make that distance on my tummy.” She wriggled until she was on her back again and pushed herself into a seated position.

She looked towards the sunset. The sun had not moved. The red ball was still playing light games with the crystal shards. Cara was relieved. She would not want to cross this beach in the dark. So together they slowly moved across the beach, hoping a big wave would not catch them. Cara on her bum and Yukshi on his belly. Although it didn’t really hurt, it was slow going. Cara could feel her muscles beginning to cramp. She longed to stand up and release the tension. Yukshi whimpered as his stomach was feeling bruised. They stopped just at the edge of the next beach. They scanned the beach warily. It looked normal. The sand looked like sand. They were contemplating whether what they saw was really what they saw. They did not see the wave sneaking up behind them. They had not decided whether the beach was safe or not, when the wave lifted them up and deposited them on the 4th beach.

They sat there, too afraid to move. What would happen if they did? Was it safe to even… breathe? Cara exhaled and Yukshi sneezed. Nothing happened. Yet they waited. Eventually Cara shifted her weight and looked around. The sky was purple now but the sun was still visible. Water lapped at her toes, reminding her of where they were sitting.

Gingerly she stood up. Her body ached from having to traverse the beach on her bum and she was really glad that it was behind them.

Yukshi licked his chest as if to get the circulation going again. He completely ignored the flea. He stopped and listened. What was that noise? It was a scratching sound. But not an ordinary scratching sound. There was something different about it. Something manic. And it was coming from under the sand. He placed his nose just above the grains of sand and sniffed, and sneezed! He sneezed again, and again. Cara looked at him and laughed but he really didn’t care. He wanted this ticklish stuff out of his nose – and he wanted it out NOW!

Cara held him gently while he sneezed. He was so cute with his mouse like sneezes. After a while the fit passed. The poor little boy was exhausted. He curled up on her lap with the intention of grabbing a catnap. Ah cats. Now those were really strange creatures. He really loved to observe them, but he loved to chase them even more. The most fun was to pretend to be asleep next to his food bowl and wait. He would foxy-sleep – with one eye partially open. At first spotting the cat was rather tricky as he dared not move his head too obviously or too often. But as time lapsed, the cat would always gain courage. He would notice movement in the corner of his vision. Gradually the movement would morph into cat. Cat would sneak, ever so quietly. Always coming closer. Eventually she would be next to him, sniffing his face. He would not move a muscle – not even a hair. Together they would remain motionless. Eventually hunger would overcome the cat and she would work her say towards the bowl. She would be sure to keep one eye on him at all times. But there was one moment when he would be out of her vision, and this was the moment when he would strike. She would get to the bowl and stand dead still and watch intently for any signs of consciousness. This was the most critical moment of his plan. If he even twitched an ear, she would be gone and they would begin this danse macabre once again.

Making sure he was not awake, she would let her face drop towards the bowl and its delectable contents. This was his moment. The apex of the exercise. He would use this perfect moment to leap into the air and let out his loudest bark. The poor, silly cat, would launch into the air, making a horrific noise, and would be gone. How these cats managed to disappear so quickly filled him with admiration. He chuckled at the thought of several cats floating around in the upper atmosphere, cursing that tricky dog that launched them up there.

Tribs

He felt the ground moving and he opened one eye. It was dark. Actually, no, it should be dark but it wasn’t. A full moon bathed everything in an eerie glow. Cara had placed him on the ground and seemed to be busy setting up camp. Come to think of it, his stomach was eating him from the inside. He sniffed and a delicious aroma filled his sensitive nose. He shook the sand from his fur and trotted towards the source of the smell.

Cara smiled at him. She knew it wouldn’t be long before hunger would get the better of him. She held the bowl of steaming stew out to him and Yukshi licked his lips in anticipation. Cara was a very good cook. She always made food he loved. It was a bit warm so he picked up the first piece of meat in his teeth. He looked silly. Yukshi sat there with the piece of meat dangling below his nose. He sniffed – it felt cooler already. He waited for three more seconds and then gobbled it. He grabbed the next piece but didn’t bother waiting this time. It was exquisite. In no time at all, he had finished it, one piece at a time.
Cara looked at her food, so did Yukshi. She gave him half, one piece at a time.

With their bellies full, they lay down on the ground and stretched their aching muscles. The sand moved to accommodate their bodies. It was very comfortable. Within minutes they were both snoring quietly.

The night passed very quickly, but uneventfully. The warm sun was already shining when Yukshi opened his eyes. “That’s strange” he said to himself. “I thought the sun was yellow.” He blinked his eyes and the sun blinked too. It felt rather surreal. He closed his eyes and opened them and the sun had disappeared.

“What?” This was the strangest thing. He sat up and looked around. Except for little marks in the sand, there was nothing unusual. Something was off, something smelled fishy. He sniffed. There was something in the air. He remembered the sand incident and decided not to put his nose too close to the ground again.

Cara was beginning to move. She yawned and stretched. “Good morning Yukshi” she sang. “What lovely dreams I had.” He ran to her and they cuddled. This was by far the best part of his day. He loved her warmth and how safe and loved she made him feel. Cara loved this time too. He was so warm and cuddly and didn’t squirm as much as he usually did.

It was in the middle of this tender moment that they heard it. A strange sound, much like the clearing of a throat.
Both Cara and Yukshi spun around to face the source of the noise. They both froze. There it was – the throat clearer. “What is that?” Yukshi mused. Cara’s thoughts were more in the line of “Eek!” She looked away quickly, dropping Yukshi in the process. She had just been eye to eye – quite literally – with the Throat Clearer. The eyes hovered above the sand on stalks. And the stalks seemed to be quite firmly attached to a giant crab. “Crab!” The words escaped Cara’s lips and seemed to hang in the air – much like the eyes. “Crab?” thought Yukshi. “So that is what they look like with their shells on.” He had always wondered about the appearance of his favourite food. Though he was sure he had never consumed one this large before. He thought it was prudent to back away too. He slowly reversed, his eyes dropping to the huge pincers. His speed increased immediately. He collided with Cara and yelped.

This sudden high pitched yelp startled the crab. Its eyes spun wildly in the air and it grasped at an imaginary foe. Cara, hearing the clacking of the claws, jumped up. She scooped Yukshi up, turned and ran. She had no idea in which direction she was headed – nor did she care. All that mattered was that it was away from the clacking claws and swirling eyes.

She really should have taken stock of the direction in which she headed. Within minutes she was confronted by another pair of elevated eyes. She turned and a commanding voice shouted “Stop!” She did. She was unable to resist the authority that the voice carried. A fraction of a second passed. It was just enough time to make her really grateful that she had listened to the voice. Another fraction and she was contemplating thanking the voice for coming when it did. She stood on the edge of a huge chasm.

She peered down into the depths and was sure she saw herself reflected back. Strange… it should be much too dark in there to be able to see anything at all, let alone her reflection. She could not proceed forward, of this she was convinced. But neither could she retreat for she was almost certain that the commanding voice belonged to a huge, scary crab, though that seemed rather unlikely. But then, she would have considered a crab of such gargantuan size very unlikely. Unlikely that was, until she had turned around and been eyeball to eyeball with it.

Making sure to keep her balance, she looked over her shoulder. She was unsure as to whether she should be grateful that the voice had not come from the crab she had espied earlier, but rather from a considerably larger crab. The urge to jump into the abyss - with the pleasing reflection - grew with each breath. The silence was deafening.

The throat-clearer stepped sideways and implored “Please don’t jump into that abyss – with the pleasing reflection. We do not intend you any harm.”

Cara half expected those words to fill her relief and calm her panicked heart. But the sight behind her did not fill her with peace. The huge claws glinted in the sunlight. Their warm colours froze her to the spot.

He spoke again. “Please step away from the edge; you are making me very nervous.” His voice was much higher pitched than she would have imagined, given his size - and he had no accent what-so-ever. She had always imagined that creatures linked to the sea would speak in gruff voices, with a pirate twang. This crab sounded more like a diplomat than a seafaring scourge.

“Madam! I would not be caught dead on that there ocean” he remarked rather indignantly. “I am horribly motion sensitive.” Cara was stunned, and not for the first time today either. How did he know what she had been thinking? “Yes, I can read minds but it would really save time if you just spoke your thoughts rather than thought them. Not all of us are psychic you know. And you have yet to step away from that perilous chasm.”

Cara turned around fully and obeyed the crab. He may not have the authority of the one with the voice, but she had to admit that he made a lot of sense. That chasm was very deep and she was out of practice when it came to falling.

“You are still not vocalizing” sighed the crab. “Two more steps and you should be out of danger.” Cara did not feel that she was out of danger, even after she had taken those two additional steps. She was moving away from the abyss but closer to those claws. Something about fat and fire came to mind.

Tribs

“Prey tell, what is fire?” queried the crab. “No time for that now” commanded the voice. It had indeed come from a much larger crab. He too had stepped sideways and was giving them the once over with his bobbing eyes.

All this time Yukshi had been totally motionless. He dared not move, even breathing was debatable. He had never experienced the possibility of being a snack for his food. He paid careful attention to the conversation and decided that he really liked the throat clearing crab. He was not sure about the other crab though, or those lined up besides those two. There was something fishy about them, he chuckled to himself. Fishy – crabs. He should write these gems down, he mused.
“Sit” commanded the crab. :”We have things to discuss. And discussions are best had sitting down.”

Cara collapsed. She had not realized that crabs had so much power. Nore had her legs felt so much like jelly before. Sitting was indeed easier.

“Crabs! About turn!” There was utter confusion. It seems that although commands were always obeyed, not everyone (or every crab) understood the meaning of these commands. Half the crabs began to spin clockwise, the other half anticlockwise, and the few that were left, watched the others warily. “Sit!” came the command. The entire platoon dropped to the ground. They wriggled their legs and seemed to sink below the sand, until just the stalks were visible. It was like a field of roving eyes. Yukshi, feeling braver now that the pincers were no longer visible, wriggled his way out of Cara’s grasp. He lay down, but this was just a ruse. He was not tired – not in the least. Staying low to the ground, he inched his way to the sea of eyeballs. Every time the eyes seemed to look elsewhere, he moved a little closer. Closer and closer. “Oh my, they do smell fishy” he thought. The pungent fumes made his nose tickle. He stifled a sneeze. He didn’t want to alert the ocular undulation. He giggled to himself. He really was a wordsmith of note.

Yukshi failed to note the silence. Well not silence exactly, as it is very difficult to experience silence on a beach – so very close to the ocean. What he failed to note was that the commander crab was no longer speaking. Commander Crab was fascinated by something else. Commander Crab was curiously watching Yukshi, inching towards his death soldiers.

The crab smiled. This was exactly the response this tactic was designed to elicit. He had planned that the sight of his sunken soldiers would be too irresistible to others. Their curiosity would force them to come and investigate and then … . Well it had never worked this well before, mainly due to the fact that the beach was normally deserted. There had never been any one to be curious. This was the first time that someone had witnessed this maneuver. This was exciting! He had no idea what would happen next and that made it even more exciting.

Cara and the throat clearer crab had noticed the Commander Crab’s interest in Yukshi. They too sat silently, watching the commander and the puppy. All three wondered what he planned to do when he got to the sea of eyeballs.

Yukshi sniffed. Where had the rest of the crabs gone? He was sure that they had been there a little while ago. He was certain that there was more to them than just their eyeballs. Where were the legs and those awesome claws?
He crept closer, making sure to wait until every eyeball was focused elsewhere.

Suddenly the crabs rose out of the ground. They were huge and Yukshi felt tiny beside them. “Boo!” shouted the crabs in unison . Yukshi jumped and flew into Cara’s waiting arms. His little heart beating fast.

The Commander was overjoyed. He flipped onto his back and spun around laughing. Several other crabs copied the commander and threw themselves onto their backs and spun around in circles. Giggling as they spun.

Throat Clearer signed and looked very depressed. “What is wrong?” asked Cara. He sighed again. “Do you know what happens when a crab lands on his back? Of course you don’t. How could you?!” he continued, without waiting for her to answer. “When a crab lands on his back, he is pretty much screwed.” Cara looked confused. “When a crab is on his back, he cannot get back up by himself. The last time it happened it took me two days to get him upright again.” “Two days?” mused Cara. “Yes two whole days” sulked the throat clearer.

Cara looked worriedly at the crabs. Many had followed suit and were lying on their backs. Two days for one crab? How many days for a whole platoon of crabs?” she wondered.

The sight before him really amused Yukshi. They totally deserved it. They looked really odd. And they were less intimidating than before. He wondered if they had names. “I am Carlo, and our esteemed Commander is Commander Snappit. And they are the minions.” He pointed his claws towards the swirling legs. Yukshi really hoped that he wasn’t going to name each of the crabs. There were lots of them. That would really take a long time and he suspected that it would hurt his head to listen to so many words.

Cara looked at the mass of crab limbs and crab bellies and wondered how they were going to get it all sorted out. “Huulp!” came the command. She had actually hoped that he would be content to stay on his back for a while. Carlo gave her a knowing look and scuttled to his superior’s side. “Yessir!” he said smartly. “Help me up soldier!” “Yes Sir! How Sir?” “The same way you did it last time soldier” came the reply.

Carlo visibly slumped. He stepped forward and offered his claws. His commander grasped his claws and held on tight. Carlo, very slowly, and with great concentration, moved backwards. This was incredibly unnatural for a crab. They were designed to move sideways – not backwards.

Inch by inch, step by step, Carlo pulled the commander. You could see the strain on his face. Yukshi ran up and grabbed a leg and started to pull too. Sadly he had not taken note of the direction Carlo was pulling in and was in fact pulling in the opposite direction. Cara watched this game of crustacean tug-o-war with mild amusement.

Tribs

Carlo pulled one way and Yukshi pulled the other. The Commander was lost for words. He was accustomed to moving when being pulled, but this time he seemed to remain in one spot.

Cara shook her head. “Why don’t you just turn him over?” Carlo looked at her dumbfounded. “That is what I am doing.” “No you’re not” quipped Cara, “you are dragging him around.” “Yes. Exactly. I am dragging him to the water. I will pull him into the ocean and he will turn over in the water.” Cara thought for a moment. “But I thought you hated the ocean.” “I do.” His eyes sagged. She felt so sorry for him at that moment. She knew what it felt like to have to do something that you hated. She hated cleaning her room. Her mother insisted, quite frequently I might add, that she keep it neat. Cara could not see the point of cleaning it up because within no time, it was messy again.

Yukshi squealed with excitement. “I know what to do” he yelped. Carlo stopped and looked at him. “You do? You? You know how to turn him over without me having to go into that awful stuff?” “Yip” yapped Yukshi. He ran around Commander Snap-it and started to dig alongside him. He dug a trench the length of the giant crab. Only half as deep as the crab was high. Yukshi did it quickly for he was an expert digger. Infact, it was one of the many achievements he took pride in. “A dog is only a dog if he can dig” is what his grandpuppy had always said. And Yukshi had taken this to heart and practiced it whenever he had some spare time.

Once the trench was done he looked at Carlo. “Righto – push him in.” “You want me to push my Commander into a hole?” asked Carlo stunned. This little furry thing made no sense at all. Infact Carlo was sure that the little critter had lost his marbles completely.

“Of course!” shouted Cara. “If we push him in, we can push him over.” “Rather undignified” retorted the commander. “Do you really want to be dragged all the way down to the ocean?” asked Cara. “Yes” remarked the commander. Cara shook her head. “This is better and it is faster. Come Carlo, push!” Carlo was only too happy to follow Cara’s instruction. There was no way he was going into that awful water today, or tomorrow, for that matter.”

Cara and Carlo pushed the giant crab. He slipped easily into the trench. They gave one super-push and he flipped over onto his belly. “Oof” he grunted. He stood up and checked his extremities. They were all there and accounted for. “Ok, what are you waiting for?! Turn my men!”

Yukshi scurried towards the next crab and started digging. This one was not so big, so the trench was much quicker to dig. Soon they had that crab on his feet again. And the next, and the next. Soon they were all scuttling happily around. Happy to be upright again.

After what seemed like ages, Carlo and Cara collapsed on the ground, exhausted. Yukshi was happily filling in all his trenches. It would not be good for a crab to fall in and flip over again.

Dust clouds obscured the sun and Cara realized that a lot more time had passed than she had realized. She was hungry. She had a problem. She did not have enough food for them – and the crabs. She wondered what crabs ate. She had not seen any other creatures on the beach. She had also not seen any plants or food – or anything that could be food.

“Sand-witches” answered Carlo to her unasked question. “We eat sand-witches.” “Sand witches? That isn’t …”. “Of course it isn’t. Don’t be silly. We would not, nor could not, eat sand witches. Sand-witches are something else entirely.” He seemed rather offended by her question.

“Well, where do we get these sand-witches from?” asked Cara. Yukshi could feel the drool running down his tongue. He had not realized how hungry he was. “They come out of that crevice that you nearly fell into” explained Carlo. “Come out? How do they come out?” wondered Cara. “I don’t know, they just pop out.” Carlo sounded a little annoyed by her question. Cara could not leave it there. “They can’t just come out. That makes no sense.” “It doesn’t have to” quipped Carlo. “Doesn’t have to what?” asked Cara. “It doesn’t have to make sense. They come out! And that is all there is to it.” “He is right” confirmed the Commander. “We wait – and they just come out.”

Cara was intrigued. “Do you have to be there for them to come out or do they just come out anyway?” “No idea” barked a crab “but it makes no sense not to be there.” “Can we go now?” queried Yukshi to himself, hoping Carlo would read his mind again. “Yes” sighed Carlo. “Let’s get this over with.” He was clearly growing weary of the constant questions. He was more accustomed to commands. They required very little thought and lots of action. Questions, on the other hand, required a lot of thinking and not very much action at all. And he was a crab of action – an Action Crab if you will. A doing crab, not a thinking one. Thinking made him very sleepy. He yawned.

Cara turned round and scanned the beach. All she could see was sand. The crevice was not visible. Before she could ask where it was, Carlo pointed towards the horizon, the one where the sun was turning a lovely purple. “Purple? Why is the sun turning purple?” “Why shouldn’t it be?” questioned Carlo. “It is always purple at this time of day – just before the sand-witches.”
Yukshi didn’t care what colour the sun was, or wasn’t. His nose was pulling his tummy in the direction of food. My he could taste the delicious sand-witches already. He wondered what would be on them. Cheese? Beef? Ham? It was all the others could do to keep up.

Yukshi arrived at the crevice first. Careful not to go too close, he peered over the edge. He only saw himself peering back. No sand-witches. Not even a crumb or a crust. He couldn’t smell anything either. Were the crabs pulling a prank on him? He wouldn’t put it past the commander. He had already proven how tricky he was. Surely Carlo wouldn’t play along. Ah, but what if he was under orders to? His tummy grumbled.

By this time Cara and the crabs had caught up to Yukshi. He was sniffing around the crevice, trying to find evidence of the sand-witches. The crabs formed a circle around the crevice and sat down. They had left space for Cara and Yukshi to join them. They took their places. Commander Snap-it cleared his throat. Silence. A soft, melodic clicking sound could be heard. It was the crabs. Commander counted “One and, Two and”. Carlo’s voice was beautiful. He sang a song in foreign words and sounds. As he sang the crabs began to chant. Softly at first. Cara could barely make out what they were saying. It grew louder and clearer.

“Oh great gaping hole, lying in the sand. Oh great doorway to that other land. Our tummies rumble, our hearts are pure. Our words don’t mumble, Our taste buds lure. Bring us your glorious sand-witches. Oh how we love your sandy-witches.

The rhythmic rhyming reached a crescendo. The noise was deafening and both Cara and Yukshi covered their ears. A light appeared above the crevice, it shone brilliantly in the purple dusk. There was total silence. Well except for the soft rumble of Yukshi’s tummy. They watched in disbelief as platter after platter of delicious sand-witches floated out of the bright light. They circled the crevice and landed gently on the ground, one before each of the crabs. Yukshi could smell the deliciousness and wondered if the light would bring him his own platter, or would he have to rely on the generosity of the crabs. Come to think of it, were they generous? He had no evidence of their generosity, nor did he have evidence of a lack thereof. He had never met crabs before today. Well, not live ones. He had worried needlessly. A platter, filled with the most delectable morsels landed before him.

Jings

Lovely flowing words.

If you don't mind posting more of your work I won't mind reading it.

Left wondering what happens after the platter of delectable morsels is put before him.

Tribs

Lovely flowing words.

If you don't mind posting more of your work I won't mind reading it.

Left wondering what happens after the platter of delectable morsels is put before him.
You are one of the kindest people ❤❤❤❤
I really didn't expect you to come and like it. I was serious about it being a waste of space :D
I have to write which comes next still. I can link you to where I post it when I do. Could take a while.

Urist

I wish I was. Was a bit high for a little while, so I know I probably won't remember my dreams tonight
edison or some such inventor would sleep with a key in their hands, with a saucer underneath it. When the key slipped while fading out it would wake them so they can write the stuff down going on in their brains.

Jings

You are one of the kindest people
I really didn't expect you to come and like it. I was serious about it being a waste of space :D
I have to write which comes next still. I can link you to where I post it when I do. Could take a while.

Beautiful writing a waste of space? Never.
Yes please, the link to save for the next edition. Understandably writing, like a good wine, takes time.

Tribs

edison or some such inventor would sleep with a key in their hands, with a saucer underneath it. When the key slipped while fading out it would wake them so they can write the stuff down going on in their brains.
I would like to know - but not badly enough to deprive myself of sleep. Besides - I like to avoid some of the thoughts my brain entertains.

Tribs

Wrote this in about 20 minutes - so it needs a lot of work. Feels stiff/stumbly. Any suggestions would be great

I’m just a girl in a box
locked in your room
waiting for you to come play
A puppet on strings
forgotten and lost
sleeping the hours away

I’m a toy, just a thing
alone and afraid
waiting for darkness to come
thoughts take me to places
where confusion sets in
making my head feel all dumb

pain painted on sheets
wounds open and bare
obstacles blocking the door
a future not lived
time breathes its last
while my dreams all die on the floor

the mirror reflects
the nothing inside
no words are left to say
a promise once made
has chained me in here
taken my freedom away

I’m just a girl in a box
locked in your room
waiting for you to come play
A puppet on strings
forgotten and lost
hoping you’ll just go away

Last edited:

Textile Guy

Not sure where to put this .... so

This is a thing here in the US.
Paint a pebble and dump it for someone to collect.
Take a pic, post it - keep it or re hide it

We are starting a collection with the SA flag on them in our area.

1595034580335.png1595034617827.png1595034628925.png1595034644696.png

Urist

Not sure where to put this .... so

This is a thing here in the US.
Paint a pebble and dump it for someone to collect.
Take a pic, post it - keep it or re hide it

We are starting a collection with the SA flag on them in our area.

View attachment 4677View attachment 4678View attachment 4679View attachment 4680
Was in a friend's house the other day.
She had a carton of eggs on her fireplace
first 2 painted like that.
wonder if she knows or cares that she'll eventually have to eat the eggs or throw it away

Tribs

Started this tonight. Needs a lot of work.
I should mention that it is about falling asleep. That feeling just as you are drifting off - letting go of your thoughts - your fears - that peace you find as you descend into dreamland

The night swirls around me
Silent
Calm
The scent of lust moves through the air
It caresses my mind
Plays with my thoughts
Enters the warm spaces
As the breath exhales

I float, untethered and free
Moving through memories
Finding secrets hidden over time
Silence slips between the folds of reason
Tendrils reach up to caress the stars
Touching and teasing
Tracing the edges of consciousness, lulling the fears that appear
The darkness moves in
It consumes and invades
Dragging my mind into the abyss
Surrender, descend,
Fall into the night
Stars flicker and fade
Breath hangs in the air
Darkness fills me and consciousness ends.

Last edited: