LPW #10: Last Post Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodrayneZA

Yeah ... kinda due for a upgrade ... unable to find more ddr2 ram for this pc ... It even has ide raid onboard.
Yeah, I"m due for an upgrade as well - I'm still using Sandybridge, to give you an idea of how old my desktop is. Still going after 10 years.

biometrics

Yeah, I"m due for an upgrade as well - I'm still using Sandybridge, to give you an idea of how old my desktop is. Still going after 10 years.
My laptop, media PC and games PC are all from 3rd gen 2012/2013. Still works perfectly. I don't have any reason to upgrade.

Tribs

Yes - they wanted to go to the loo. I had to let them in again because we cannot have them outside and the beams on. Beams usually ignore them unless they jump around while playing. They are boxers - that is what they do. They playfight and set the beams off. So I waited - put them back to bed and then went to sleep myself. Then hubby got a call at 4:30 so I moved to the couch and slept till 6

Johnatan56

There's a difference from going from a machine so old that even RAM upgrades mattered in regards to performance vs something that is still fine for most modern stuff.

(DDR2 800 is around 75ns memory latency if I remember correctly, while DDR3 1333 was around 62ns, there's also a huge bandwidth difference. Most of DDR4's improvement for end users is the improvement in memory density, so larger amounts for the same price, since the bandwidth change was offset by the higher CAS latency until around 3200MHz I think it was, most consumer applications won't really see a difference unless you're using an APU where budget constraints mean it doesn't matter. Please do note that memory latency is a little different from CAS latency).

EDIT: Ha, found where I remember it from:
1602751690748.png
We were really surprised at the gaming test results. We really did not expect the bandwidth improvement of P35 to have much impact on gaming results, but Far Cry showed a 2% to 5% improvement in performance just comparing P35 to P965 under the same conditions. It really didn't matter whether P35 was running DDR2 or DDR3; the improvement was essentially the same.

Last edited:

BloodrayneZA

There's a difference from going from a machine so old that even RAM upgrades mattered in regards to performance vs something that is still fine for most modern stuff.

(DDR2 800 is around 75ns memory latency if I remember correctly, while DDR3 1333 was around 62ns, there's also a huge bandwidth difference. Most of DDR4's improvement for end users is the improvement in memory density, so larger amounts for the same price, since the bandwidth change was offset by the higher CAS latency until around 3200MHz I think it was, most consumer applications won't really see a difference unless you're using an APU where budget constraints mean it doesn't matter. Please do note that memory latency is a little different from CAS latency).

EDIT: Ha, found where I remember it from:
View attachment 7758
Yeah I’m still able to play Skyrim on full graphics settings and I have a mid end range gaming card. Can’t access pc right now as of some stupid update going on.

I’ve been playing Fable III on full settings too.

Status
Not open for further replies.