Home Brewing

Papa Smurf

ja no, it was poes, will NEVER make that one again
but it has been the most potent of them all
adding that honey might of meant more sucrose/frucrose/fuckwhatever its called been turned into alcohol
but i think that shop bought mollasses killed the taste of all the fruits

R

[)roi(]

Holy fuck. Not boiling apples again. Other than the solid bits it ends up with puree in the liquid. Couldn't use the new filter or syphon as it clogs immediately. So had to use a jug and a dish cloth. Over 20L had to rinse it out like 20 times. Needless to say it took hours. So looking forward to getting the campden tablets so there is no need to do that. But did end up with 18L which tastes pretty good.
Sounds like a lot of work; have a look for a micro mesh sieve; I use mine to further strain the wort for the fine particulates and it should be able catch most of the fruit sludge. Practically though a juicer is a far better investment; just makes it very easy to extract the juice from fruit -- I certainly wouldn't have made 60l of bitter orange cider if I had to manually squeeze out the juice.

Oh and my Star San has shipped. First it goes to NY before coming to SA. But that was pretty quick considering.
Were you not able to source the cheaper equivalent from one of the https://www.silicone.co.za/ retailers? Anyway it lasts a long time; keep in mind that you can keep reusing it for quite a while.

biometrics

Were you not able to source the cheaper equivalent from one of the https://www.silicone.co.za/ retailers? Anyway it lasts a long time; keep in mind that you can keep reusing it for quite a while.
It wasn’t obvious where to get it and I didn’t want to waste time so went with your recommendation. It’s already in the NY area so shouldn’t take more than a week or two. In the mean time I use Jik but rinse it out A LOT.

R

[)roi(]

i just bottled my 26 litres of kak strong poes bitter cider
fuck it tastes horrible
Sounds like the yeast did its job and converted all the sugars; ending up with a very tart result is normal; hence its quite normal to back sweeten it; and if its too alcoholic strong; adding some apple juice will also make it more palatable. This is btw a standard process in cider making; either you stop the fermentation before all the sugar is exhausted or you back sweeten it.

For example; the cider I'm busy with will end off with a ABV of 9.2%, and I expect it to be quite tart; I'll then back sweeten it and/or add some liquifruit clear apple juice to balance the flavour to make it more enjoyable to drink... and I'll make sure to pasteurise it after the carbonation to avoid the yeast turning the new sugars into more alcohol and producing a very tart cider again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moosedrool

Final gravity of my cider is 1.015 for the last 2 days... It smells like hard liquor lol. I started with 1.052 so ABV around 4.86. I think unless there's more to consider with the weird bakers yeast we use.

Bottling but kept the last bottle for some drunken posting today. XD

It's still cloudy and doesn't settle nearly as much as brewers yeast. There should be something that makes yeast clog when finalising but that'll obviously inhibit any attempt at natural carbonation.

R

[)roi(]

Final gravity of my cider is 1.015 for the last 2 days... It smells like hard liquor lol. I started with 1.052 so ABV around 4.86. I think unless there's more to consider with the weird bakers yeast we use.

Bottling but kept the last bottle for some drunken posting today. XD

It's still cloudy and doesn't settle nearly as much as brewers yeast. There should be something that makes yeast clog when finalising but that'll obviously inhibit any attempt at natural carbonation.
Well done. Have a fun and inebriated time quaffing those. Cloudy ciders are just as yummy.

If you want to clarify it with a future brew; have a look at fining agents like gelatin and using cold crashing the day before bottling help clarify what you bottle. Personally I'm not overly concerned by clarity unless it's really bad, but a lot of that can be avoided in the brewing process;
I love German wheat beers and they by design are cloudy (and yummy).

Moosedrool

Well done. Have a fun and inebriated time quaffing those. Cloudy ciders are just as yummy.

If you want to clarify it with a future brew; have a look at fining agents like gelatin and using cold crashing the day before bottling help clarify what you bottle. Personally I'm not overly concerned by clarity unless it's really bad, but a lot of that can be avoided in the brewing process;
I love German wheat beers and they by design are cloudy (and yummy).

Yeah I read about cold crashing it but I wanted to get a bit drunk today. XD

X3rP3Nt

So proud of myself right now. Homemade Jagermeister. Flippen close to the real thing.
eb2e9676a5e1124a208b8208b331f37d.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX2 using Tapatalk

bigAl-sa

Made my second batch of ginger beer this morning, and that is now in the fermenter. Almost finished drinking a litre of my Lockdown Blonde and am feeling quite mellow, chops on the braai and LM radio playing tear jerker stuff in the background ;)