Home Brewing

R

[)roi(]

Kvass Update
Kvass has now been decanted to the two 5 litre carboys; approx 4.5 litres in each; lost ~3 litres with the steeping of the ciabatta and with the boil; after the ciabatta had been removed, and cinnamon, star anise, bitter orange was added. During the cool down, more finer bread particles settled at the bottom of brew pot together with the cinnamon, orange rind and star anise. I made sure during decanting to not transfer that to the carboys; hopefully to help further clarify the end result.

The current aroma / taste of the wort has certainly improved even more during the boil and the cool down; it has a pleasant nutty bread gluhwein taste / smell (not overwhelming); thanks to the cinnamon and star anise.

Yeast has been pitched, and now to wait and see what happens. I also took a final gravity; 1.050 a good starting point for a ~5% beverage.

satanboy

Yes, middle finger. ;)

What I do normally is press the glove so it deflated, then hold my hand over the bottle, turn the bottle upside down and swirl it. Fine with the ginger beer. In this case it produced a huge amount of bubbles. I just managed to righten it in time but by then some liquid squirted out the tiny hole onto my wall. The glove was even larger filled with liquid and gas (you can see the thumb is still filled). Nearly a fuckup.
My cider sprayed through the holes of the balloon the other night. Hmmmm winey.

🤪

satanboy

Other than my order receipt on Tuesday I've heard nothing from them. Haven't even answered my email.

Did you get a tracking number?
Nope, just an order number. They seem to be very busy. Bevplus is so busy you can't even place an order since yesterday.

Snyper564

@[)roi(] how easy is it to reuse yeast? the proper yeast is R50 odd a packet I want to try the wheat beer seeing if I can get the order in with WB-06

R

[)roi(]

@[)roi(] how easy is it to reuse yeast? the proper yeast is R50 odd a packet I want to try the wheat beer seeing if I can get the order in with WB-06
Quite easy...
What settles at the bottom of your fermenter; aside from protein flocculant is the yeast which can be washed, separated from protein flocculant and recycled. Naturally this can only be taken from your fermenter, because that's still active yeast; and not from any bottles that you've either pasteurised or added a campden tablet.

Alternative is to grow more of the yeast straight from the packet you bought e.g. WB-06 to basically double up or triple up on the yeast before brewing.
Some things you'll need:
You could e.g. take a packet of WB-06; split it into two batches; add the wort made from either dry malt extract or your last grain brew, let that grow for a period, then wash it and separate off the yeast layer, and then add fresh wort... and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbayshark

Right, bottled last night.
Pineapple beer starting off at 1.062 and finishing at 0.992.
Apple/tea/pineapple beer starting at 1.035 and finishing at 1.01. So suppose to be 9.1% & 3.3% alcohol then I think.
ceb0c4fe7febf198b46e4e19d22eae31.jpg

biometrics

Nope, just an order number. They seem to be very busy. Bevplus is so busy you can't even place an order since yesterday.
Got the order processed message, so that looks good. Placed another order and like a tit didn't select courier. Will need to call them tomorrow, seems email isn't working.

This bucket has a tap too. :)

1588871884091.png

Snyper564

Order in should get it next week :)

XXXX Wheat Malt
XXXX Pilsen Malt
Safbrew WB06 Yeast
Hop Pellets Hallertau Mittlefruh
Grain bag
Hydrometer & trial jar

Snyper564

Quite easy...
What settles at the bottom of your fermenter; aside from protein flocculant is the yeast which can be washed, separated from protein flocculant and recycled. Naturally this can only be taken from your fermenter, because that's still active yeast; and not from any bottles that you've either pasteurised or added a campden table.

Alternative is to grow more of the yeast straight from the packet you bought e.g. WB-06 to basically double up or triple up on the yeast before brewing.
Some things you'll need:
You could e.g. take a packet of WB-06; split it into two batches; add the wort made from either dry malt extract or your last grain brew, let that grow for a period, then wash it and separate off the yeast layer, and then add fresh wort... and repeat.
OMW need to read up on this - I do kombucha and sourdough so I sort of have a vague understanding but want to look into this looks super cool and can cut the costs down :)

Moosedrool

Quite easy...
What settles at the bottom of your fermenter; aside from protein flocculant is the yeast which can be washed, separated from protein flocculant and recycled. Naturally this can only be taken from your fermenter, because that's still active yeast; and not from any bottles that you've either pasteurised or added a campden table.

Some things you'll need:

Question. is the yeast that collects more prone to alcohol? Considering evolution and things.

Snyper564

@[)roi(] urrrgggg you so difficult to tag :p

Please help me understand the recipe below. Getting all the goodies for this.

I assume Mash -> Hop(while mashing) -> Ferment -> Bottle -> Mature?

How long do I ferment? Are no days given as its till its finished fermenting for example could take 1 week could take 2?

Do I bottle after fermentation then do the 2-3 days then 3 weeks in fridge? If I have no fridge space can I pasturise after day 3 and leave for 3 weeks?

Recipe for 10-litre Braumeister

Ingredients

12 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water
1.2 kg Wheat malt
1.2 kg Pilsner malt
10 g Tettnang hops (4.2 % alpha)
½ packet Safbrew WB06 yeast
Method
Mash programme
  1. 50 °C › Start mashing
  2. 52 °C › 0 min
  3. 63 °C › 15 min
  4. 73 °C › 35 min
  5. 78 °C › 15 min
  6. Boiling › 80min
Hop addition
10 g Tettnang hops › 70 min before end of boil
Original gravity
12 °P with 11 litres
Fermentation
Fermentation temperature at around 22 ºC
Maturing
2-3 days at room temperature, followed by 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator at 5 °C.

R

[)roi(]

Question. is the yeast that collects more prone to alcohol? Considering evolution and things.
Unsure.... best answer I could find...
For centuries, brewers yeast has been passed down from fermentation to fermentation by harvesting and repitching the yeast sediment. At 3%–5% alcohol by volume (ABV), brewer’s yeast is more tolerant of ethanol than most competing microorganisms. In fact, many microbiologists believe that ethanol production evolved as a type of defense mechanism for yeast. But only certain strains will withstand ethanol concentrations above 8%, with some particularly hardy strains able to handle up to 15% in normal fermentations. In recent centuries Belgian brewers in particular have tended to produce a large number of strong beers, and many Belgian yeast strains are quite alcohol tolerant. Some yeasts can ferment past the 8% level, but need coaxing to do so. The addition of nutrients, a high concentration of pitching yeast, rousing, and warmer temperatures will tend to result in greater alcohol tolerance. Some craft brewers have produced beers with ABVs around 20% by slowly dosing additional yeast and additional sugars into fermenting beers; however, many of these beers turn out to be strong but unpalatable. When brewers select yeast strains offered for sale by commercial laboratories, the normal ethanol tolerance of every strain will usually be listed as part of the yeast’s profile.

I'd suggest buying a packet of WLP099 yeast, and then harvest more... it can ferment up to 25% ABV which should be more than enough to get the party well on its way.

R

[)roi(]

Recipe for 10-litre Braumeister

Ingredients

12 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water
1.2 kg Wheat malt
1.2 kg Pilsner malt
10 g Tettnang hops (4.2 % alpha)
½ packet Safbrew WB06 yeast
Method
Mash programme
  1. 50 °C › Start mashing
  2. 52 °C › 0 min
  3. 63 °C › 15 min
  4. 73 °C › 35 min
  5. 78 °C › 15 min
  6. Boiling › 80min
Hop addition
10 g Tettnang hops › 70 min before end of boil
Original gravity
12 °P with 11 litres
Fermentation
Fermentation temperature at around 22 ºC
Maturing
2-3 days at room temperature, followed by 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator at 5 °C.
This is going to be a long reply... it's a brain dump so excuse the long windedness of some sections. I suggest you also watch the brew in a bag youtube videos I shared in an earlier post which describes all of this.

Mashing
Make sure you grains are properly milled for brewing; most places you order from can do this for you on smaller orders. Alternatively run it briefly through a coffee / spice grinder to break all the grains; but not to turn it into flour; remember your grain bags need to keep these grains in.

The programme shown above is for automated (and expensive) brewing equipment. I suggest using a thermometer bring your strike water up to boil and check that it is around 78°C to 80°C; which is slightly higher than the grain steeping temperature of 73°C -- the reason is that the malt grains will be cooler and adding them will drop the temperature to hopefully 73°C.

For the entire mash cycle you want to maintain the 73°C without having the pot on the stove as that could end up burning the bottom; you want to heat up the strike water to the temperature of 73°C and the turn off the heat. I wrap my brew pot in a thermal blanket to maintain the heat during the mash cycle; a blanket or towel should also work. You can also get plastic fermenters that are double walled similar to beer coolers; which maintain the heat just as well as the cold.

Only challenge with these is that you have to transfer you wort after the mash to a brew pot for the boil and then back again after the boil. I use standard food grade 20 litre plastic buckets fitted with an airlock and tap for the fermenters, and I use a 30litre stainless steel brew pot for the mash cycle and the boil; I transfer the wort to the fermenter buckets after the boil.

For the strike water i.e. hot water; that is used for the sparging before the boil.

Calculating the amount of strike water you'll need is important; here's an example:
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 00.50.57.png
Let's walk through this.
You work essentially backward on this table, with the batch size being what wort volume your recipe is designed to produce.
The trub is the bottom sediment layer (which includes yeast and proteins) that forms at the bottom of your fermenter; naturally we don't bottle that. the fermenter volume will be slightly higher than the batch size e.g. 1 litre of a 20l; in your 10l case this maybe a half a litre.

The kettle (brew pot) loss is what you lose decanting into your fermenter; this depending on your grain bags and grains would be some sediment that you wouldn't transfer to the fermenter. Naturally boiling for 80 minutes will cause loss to evaporation; +- 1 to 1.5 litre for a 10l recipe.
The sparge water is what you used to wash the mashed grains; basically you add the strike water and your grains and then let it steep at 73°C for over an hour (the mash) -- during this mash cycle the grains will swell up and absorb a lot of water i.e. the grain absorption (+-3 litres for you, depends on the volume of grains); the wort not absorbed by the grains is called the first runnings; what we need to do is to replace the water that was lost to absorption and factor in the boil losses, brew pot sediment losses (kettle loss), the fermenter trub loss.

The quantity of water which we add after the mash cycle is called the sparge water (taken from your strike water) and is poured over the grains to extract more of the sugars / starches that are clinging to the grains; this wort run off is referred to as the second runnings. The volume of the first and second runnings less boil loss and less trub loss should equal your brew target volume that will be transferred to the fermenter to cool down to 22°C to then pitch your yeast.

For the strike water I have a 30l urn that I keep full and at 73°C during the mash to be used for the initially mash water i.e. 18L in the table above, and then also for the sparge water i.e. 12L in the table above to extract the second runnings from the grain. The more expensive brew kettles (pots) take water out of the tap spigot and flow through a silicon pipe to pour over the grain slowly and continuously during the mash to secure a maximum extraction of starches / sugars. Manually we achieve this either by scooping some water in the kettle with a container and slowly pouring it over the grain during the mash cycle; followed then by sparging to extract the second runnings.

Target Sugar Gravity
12 °P is gravity on the plato scale; converting this to specific gravity is 1.048. i.e. this is what your wort gravity should be after the mash and after the boiling. Naturally you can also manually bump it up by adding sugar; but you should get quite close to this just with a mash and good regular sparging, and the boil.

Hops
The Tettnang hops is expensive and can be substituted with a cheaper hops; the SAB variety is a lot more affordable. Remember the addition of hops in recipes will alwasy comprise of quantity and time; where the time represents how long before the end of the mash. In this recipe; the boiling is 80minutes long, so 10 minutes into the boil you would add the hops in your hops bag. It is quite typically to have separate bags for the grains and the hops; because the grains are removed before the boil, and the hops is added in its bag during the boil. You either buy the reusable bags, or you make you own using muslin cloth. You can also get stainless steel mesh containers for grains and hops additions.

Fermentation
The duration of the fermentation depends largely on the temperature, the gravity and the yeast; at 22ºC; you can expect the gravity to roughly change by about 0.005 per day. Your target for an all grain brew should be an ending gravity of 1.010 -- meaning it'll take about 8 more days to get to 1.010 from 1.050 (rounded up 1.048) -- which would give you an ABV of 5.25%.

Naturally the more sugar (higher gravity) the more active the yeast; meaning as the gravity reduces the yeast become less active and it can take slightly longer for the gravity to drop towards the end, and if they're colder then they'll also be slower. Don't however go above 22ºC because yeast that is too warm can produce a lot of phenols, which make your beer taste awful (e.g. bandaid flavour).

The WB-06 yeast should at 22ºC produce more esters; with some interesting favours -- e.g. it is fairly normal for a wheat beer brewed with WB-06 to produce a very pleasant banana flavour chemically known as Iso-amyl acetate.

Priming sugar for carbonation
Once you've hit your end gravity target of 1.010; you are ready for bottling. Leave space at the top of your bottles for CO2 expansion; similar to how all carbonated beverages are packaged. The duration of the carbonation is again going to depend on your yeast, and the temperature. To give them a kick, we add priming sugar to each bottle and then decant the beer into the bottles.

Calculating how much priming sugar to add is important, too little as you'll have little to no carbonation; too much and you could end up with a grenade (exploding caps). Simply divide the calculated priming sugar by the number of bottles your fermented wort will need; add to the bottles, fill up with fermented wort (beer) leaving space for carbonation, and then cap the bottles. After 3 days; open a bottle and check if you're happy with the carbonation. If its perfect then start the pasteurisation process, otherwise if its not; then give it a few more days.

Beer's flavour profile does change over time; even though you would have killed the yeast during the pasteurisation; as for whether you drink it right after the pasteurisation or wait a few weeks is really a personal taste preference. Most of my beers I think are ready to drink after carbonation; could be that I'm just not that patient, or that my palate is not overly finessed.

Snyper564

This is going to be a long reply... it's a brain dump so excuse the long windedness of some sections. I suggest you also watch the brew in a bag youtube videos I shared in an earlier post which describes all of this.

Mashing
The programme shown above is for automated (and expensive) brewing equipment. I suggest using a thermometer bring your strike water up to boil and check that it is around 78°C to 80°C; which is slightly higher than the grain steeping temperature of 73°C -- the reason is that the malt grains will be cooler and adding them will drop the temperature to hopefully 73°C.

For the entire mash cycle you want to maintain the 73°C without having the pot on the stove as that could end up burning the bottom; you want to heat up the strike water to the temperature of 73°C and the turn off the heat. I wrap my brew pot in a thermal blanket to maintain the heat during the mash cycle; a blanket or towel should also work. You can also get plastic fermenters that are double walled similar to beer coolers; which maintain the heat just as well as the cold.

Only challenge with these is that you have to transfer you wort after the mash to a brew pot for the boil and then back again after the boil. I use standard food grade 20 litre plastic buckets fitted with an airlock and tap for the fermenters, and I use a 30litre stainless steel brew pot for the mash cycle and the boil; I transfer the wort to the fermenter buckets after the boil.

For the strike water i.e. hot water; that is used for the sparging before the boil.

Calculating the amount of strike water you'll need is important; here's an example:
View attachment 1285
Let's walk through this.
You work essentially backward on this table, with the batch size being what wort volume your recipe is designed to produce.
The trub is the bottom sediment layer (which includes yeast and proteins) that forms at the bottom of your fermenter; naturally we don't bottle that. the fermenter volume will be slightly higher than the batch size e.g. 1 litre of a 20l; in your 10l case this maybe a half a litre.

The kettle (brew pot) loss is what you lose decanting into your fermenter; this depending on your grain bags and grains would be some sediment that you wouldn't transfer to the fermenter. Naturally boiling for 80 minutes will cause loss to evaporation; +- 1 to 1.5 litre for a 10l recipe.
The sparge water is what you used to wash the mashed grains; basically you add the strike water and your grains sand let it steep at 73°C for over an hour (the mash) -- during this mash cycle the grains will swell up and absorb a lot of water i.e. the grain absorption (+- 3litres for you); the wort not absorbed by the grains is called the first runnings; what we need to do is to replace the water that was lost to absorption and factor in the boil losses, brew pot sediment losses (kettle loss), the fermenter trub loss.

The quantity of water which we add after the mash cycle is called the sparge water (taken from your strike water) and is poured over the grains to extract more of the sugars / starches that are clinging to the grains; this wort run off is referred to as the second runnings. The volume of the first and second runnings less boil loss and less trub loss should equal your brew target volume that will bee transferred to the fermenter to cool down to 22°C to then pitch your yeast.

For the strike water I have a 30l urn that I keep full and at 73°C during the mash to be used for the initially mash water i.e. 18L in the table above, and then also for the sparge water i.e. 12L in the table above to extract the second runnings from the grain. The more expensive brew kettles (pots) take water out of the tap spigot and flow through a silicon pipe to pour over the grain slowly and continuously during the mash to secure a maximum extraction of starches / sugars. Manually we achieve this either by scooping some water in the kettle with a container and slowly pouring it over the grain during the mash cycle; followed then by sparging to extract the second runnings.

Target Sugar Gravity
12 °P is gravity on the plato scale; converting this to specific gravity is 1.048. i.e. this is what your wort gravity should be after the mash and after the boiling. Naturally you can also manually bump it up by adding sugar; but you should get quite close to this just with a mash and good regular sparging, and the boil.

Hops
The Tettnang hops is expensive and can be substituted with a cheaper hops; the SAB variety is a lot more affordable. Remember the addition of hops in recipes will alwasy comprise of quantity and time; where the time represents how long before the end of the mash. In this recipe; the boiling is 80minutes long, so 10 minutes into the boil you would add the hops in your hops bag. It is quite typically to have separate bags for the grains and the hops; because the grains are removed before the boil, and the hops is added in its bag during the boil. You either buy the reusable bags, or you make you own using muslin cloth. You can also get stainless steel mesh containers for grains and hops additions.

Fermentation
The duration of the fermentation depends largely on the temperature, the gravity and the yeast; at 22ºC; you can expect the gravity to roughly change by about 0.005 per day. You're target for an all grain brew should be a ending gravity of 1.010 -- meaning it'll take about 8 more days to get to 1.010 from 1.050 (rounded up 1.048) -- which would give you an ABV of 5.25%.

Naturally the more sugar (higher gravity) the more active the yeast; meaning as the gravity reduces the yeast become less active and it can take slightly longer for the gravity to drop towards the end, and if they're colder then they'll also be slower. Don't however go above 22ºC because yeast that is too warm can produce a lot of phenols, which make your beer taste awful (e.g. bandaid flavour).

The WB-06 yeast should at 22ºC produce more esters; with some interesting favours -- e.g. it is fairly normal for a wheat beer brewed with WB-06 to produce a very pleasant banana flavour chemically known as Iso-amyl acetate.

Priming sugar for carbonation
Once you've hit your end gravity target of 1.010; you are ready for bottling. Leave space at the top of your bottles for CO2 expansion; similar to how all carbonated are packaged. The duration of the carbonation is again going to depend on your yeast, and the temperature. To give them a kick, we add priming sugar to each bottle and then decant the beer into the bottles.

Calculating how much priming sugar to add is important, too little as you'll have little to no carbonation; too much and you could end up with a grenade (exploding caps). Simple divide the calculated priming sugar by the number of bottles your fermented wort will need; add to the bottles, fill up with fermented wort (beer) leaving space for carbonation, and then cap the bottles. After 3 days; open a bottle and check if you're happy with the carbonation. If its perfect then start the pasteurisation process, otherwise if its not; then give it a few more days.

Beer's flavour profile does change over time; even though you would have killed the yeast during the pasteurisation; as for whether you drink it right after the pasteurisation or wait a few weeks is really a personal taste preference. Most of my beers I think are ready to drink after carbonation; could be that I'm just not that patient, or that my palate is not overly finessed.
A big thanks for this will read when I get a moment, but seriously thanks a lot!

R

[)roi(]

In addition re @Snyper564

Additional notes for the mash temperature:
H
igher temperatures than 73°C in the mash will result in far more protein separation from the grains and a far more cloudy beer; which can be clarified using a fining agent like gelatin -- however also keep in mind that the head size of beer is determined by the proteins; hence less proteins equals less head size and head retention. At 73°C there is usually more than enough protein separation to for a good head retention.

Additional notes for the boil
The boil serves two purposes; to kill off unwanted bacteria and wild yeasts from the grains / hops, and to help release more sugars in the wort; i.e. raise your gravity. Remember testing your gravity must be done at 20ºC; the calibration temperature of hydrometers & refractometers. You simple remove some wort from the boiling pot and let it cool down to test the gravity. At the end of the boil if your gravity is still not 1.050 then either boil a little more and/or add some sugar to bolster the gravity; roughly a half a cup of sugar will raise the gravity in 20l by 0.005; stir well and then test again.

The foam that forms at the top of the boil pot is the proteins; you can scoop this off if you want to clarify your beer more i.e. less cloudy -- but remember less protein equals less head size -- it's a personal preference. I usually don't bother to remove it during the boil as I like the traditional cloudiness of a German wheat beer, and of course the good head retention size.

For a clearer beer like castle; you'd make sure none of the sediment at the bottom of the boil kettle is transferred to the fermenter; and you would scoop off all the proteins that form at the top of the pot during the boili.e. the white scum. You would then make sure to let the trub settle in the fermenter and increase the protein capture using a fining agent like gelatin once you've reached your desired gravity in the fermenter; and in addition you can also use cold crashing in a refrigerator (with the gelatin) to further aid the coagulation of proteins and the settlement of that at the bottom of the fermenter in the trub (takes roughly 24 hours); which of course you then don't transfer to your bottles.
How well you do with this will show up in the clarity of your beer, and will also determine how much sediment accumulates in each bottle.

Urist

So I didn't follow droid's advice to throw out my brew.
Distilled it into some sort of witblits honey mampoer grog.
Lit a spoon full of it on fire and checked the flame... burning blue it's probably OK to drink I reckoned.
Mixed it with coke and i`m drunk now... i`ll rate the babbelas tomorrow if I still have my eyesight.

Snyper564

In addition re @Snyper564

Additional notes for the mash temperature:
H
igher temperatures than 73°C in the mash will result in far more protein separation from the grains and a far more cloudy beer; which can be clarified using a fining agent like gelatine -- however also keep in mind that the head size of beer is determined by the proteins; hence less proteins equals less head size and head retention.

Additional notes for the boil
The boil serves two purposes; to kill off unwanted bacteria and wild yeasts from the grains / hops, and to help release more sugars in the wort; i.e. raise your gravity. Remember testing your gravity must be done at 20ºC; the calibration temperature of hydrometers & refractometers. You simple remove some wort from the boiling pot and let it cool down to test the gravity. At the end of the boil if your gravity is still not 1.050 then either boil a little more and/or add some sugar to bolster the gravity; roughly a half a cup of sugar will raise the gravity in 20l by 0.005; stir well and then test again.

The foam that forms at the top of the boil pot is the proteins; you can scoop this off if you want to clarify your beer more i.e. less cloudy -- but remember less protein equals less head size -- it's a personal preference. I usually don't bother to remove it during the boil as I like the traditional cloudiness of a German wheat beer, and of course the good head retention size.

Thanks again looking into all of this detail now, think I might have a problem the biggest pot I have is 6.5l >_< what is the biggest batch I can safely do or aim for? Ill look at equipment later but want to try this first.

Think I can aim for 5l? I know its a lot of work for 5l but dont have much choice

Last edited:

biometrics

So I didn't follow droid's advice to throw out my brew.
Distilled it into some sort of witblits honey mampoer grog.
Lit a spoon full of it on fire and checked the flame... burning blue it's probably OK to drink I reckoned.
Mixed it with coke and i`m drunk now... i`ll rate the babbelas tomorrow if I still have my eyesight.
erm...

Pure methanol and ethanol generally burn cleanly with a bluish flame color and very limited luminosity.