Home Brewing

R

[)roi(]

Tap water?
Correct the quality of your brews depends heavily on your water quality (with the exception of fruit juice brews);
I have a borehole with really good water quality; and I run it through a high pressure carbon filter. For municipality water; I'd imagine it's highly chlorinated or worse; which if left untreated will likely result in the production of some awful phenols; bandaid flavour is one example.

biometrics

Yes... although stock may be an issue. beerbros has a cheaper chemical equivalent

Blame that on our communist government; they've encouraged everyone to brew their own; which surely will hurt the food / beverage industry in the long term.
Both out of stock. /sigh

Going to order from Amazon, I have an Aramex Global Shopper account. Will take weeks though, but let me get it started.

Moosedrool

Correct the quality of your brews depends heavily on your water quality (with the exception of fruit juice brews);
I have a borehole with really good water quality; and I run it through a high pressure carbon filter. For municipality water; I'd imagine it's highly chlorinated or worse; which if left untreated will likely result in the production of some awful phenols; bandaid flavour is one example.

I want a borehole with good water quality.

LD50

I'd like to avoid any situation where the product is tainted. So I'm starting with the basics: clean water + ingredients, hydrometer set, proper bucket + airlock, syphon set.

Now I'd like to sanitise the gear properly and avoid Jik. So that's the next item I need.
That I'm good with. For me boiling the water is enough but you have to go with what you are comfortable with.
Miskien is ek net meer sif as jy :p

R

[)roi(]

That I'm good with. For me boiling the water is enough but you have to go with what you are comfortable with.
Boiling will definitely remove chlorine and chloramine; but a relatively long boil is necessary; about 1 hour.
I boil all my sparge water in a 30 litre urn; they're fairly inexpensive (got mine for about R600), its useful for brewing because you always have hot water on hand, for steeping the grains; sparging, sanitising, etc.

A good brew can be produced without too much expenses; its best to start small / simple, and over time build up your equipment.

LD50

Boiling will definitely remove chlorine and chloramine; but a relatively long boil is necessary; about 1 hour.
I boil all my sparge water in a 30 litre urn; they're fairly inexpensive (got mine for about R600), its useful for brewing because you always have hot water on hand, for steeping the grains; sparging, sanitising, etc.

A good brew can be produced without too much expenses; its best to start small / simple, and over time build up your equipment.
Makes lot of sense using a big urn.
How long has this been an hobby of yours? Reading your posts in this thread gives the impression that you've had plenty trials and errors along the way

biometrics

I'm all in.

Just need to get the basics right. Then I'll explore...

R

[)roi(]

Makes lot of sense using a big urn.
How long has this been an hobby of yours? Reading your posts in this thread gives the impression that you've had plenty trials and errors along the way
Just over 20 years; don't really buy much beers from the store; last time I bought was to get more quart bottles / crates to use for bottling my own brews; hence I was well prepared for covid-19 -- still I did ramp up the brewing to help out a few thirsty friends.

As for trials and errors; yes, I've had some awful tasting mishaps, but for the most part it's been fun; especially the drinking part.

R

[)roi(]

LD50

Looks good; except you don't need to buy the expensive malt extracts or a beer making kit.

I linked a set of youtube videos that details the entire brewing process from equipment, brewing, fermentation through to bottling on the cheap.
Very nice. Thank you

biometrics

is it at least pierced needs a tiny hole
Yes, middle finger. ;)

What I do normally is press the glove so it deflated, then hold my hand over the bottle, turn the bottle upside down and swirl it. Fine with the ginger beer. In this case it produced a huge amount of bubbles. I just managed to righten it in time but by then some liquid squirted out the tiny hole onto my wall. The glove was even larger filled with liquid and gas (you can see the thumb is still filled). Nearly a fuckup.

Snyper564

Lets do this!

1588853937654.png

R

[)roi(]

Lol, ok, I won't be shaking my apple cider like I did my ginger beer everyday. Was nearly a disaster.

View attachment 1262
Yeast on sugar "cocaine".

I have the same result with the liquifruit clear apple. Started mine on Sunday and the current ABV is over 4%; aiming for 8% -- the starting gravity was 1.080 straight out of the liquifruit carton.
In comparison the mix of bitter orange (majority), tangerine, cranberry, apple and grape cider has an ABV currently of 2.6% -- the starting gravity was lower at 1.050

Last edited by a moderator: