Home Brewing

R

[)roi(]

Is this not the same thing the brewer shops sell?
Certainly looks like it.

biometrics

Is this not the same thing the brewer shops sell?
Same as another health shop has. Hasn't been cleaned and ground.

I ordered this from Amazon last night, yes it's expensive with shipping but I don't care. This is from a brewing supplier. Got two. Should be good for 14 x 20L brews. By then we should have local supply again. Was R616 for two incl shipping and taxes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OEB4M

1596978549972.png

Snyper564

Same as another health shop has. Hasn't been cleaned and ground.

I ordered this from Amazon last night, yes it's expensive with shipping but I don't care. This is from a brewing supplier. Got two. Should be good for 14 x 20L brews. By then we should have local supply again. Was R616 for two incl shipping and taxes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OEB4M

View attachment 5565
But why? This just adds clarity nothing to the taste you could just cold crash your beer with better results... Also time clears up beers alot... Did you look at Brewcraft? I bought loads locally but more to test than anything else.

biometrics

But why? This just adds clarity nothing to the taste you could just cold crash your beer with better results... Also time clears up beers alot... Did you look at Brewcraft? I bought loads locally but more to test than anything else.
Because I want to have it clear. I don't have the cooling gear.

Brewcraft is still closed and none of the other suppliers have stock.

And I like shopping!

We’re very thankful for all the orders received online however as a result of the influx of orders our on-line shop will have to remain closed to avoid non-supply disappointments. We hope to have your understanding and please bear with us... We will keep you updated as soon as we up and running again.

satanboy

That is why I am holding off on it.

biometrics

The nozzle of the surface santiser spray I got from Beerlab is faulty. Have asked them to send a replacement with my next order. Will be interesting to see their response, as we know SA companies aren't known for good service...

biometrics

I made a Coopers can today but with DME (hoping it will taste better now). Boiling water may not have been a good idea, like with table sugar, as it clumped badly in large rock hard clumps. Managed to get it broken up and dissolved eventually but I suspect cold water would have been better?

Anyway, will do my first grain BIAB either tomorrow or next weekend. Think I'll do the weiss as I won't need to clarify that with irish moss (which is on it's'way).

Snyper564

I made a Coopers can today but with DME (hoping it will taste better now). Boiling water may not have been a good idea, like with table sugar, as it clumped badly in large rock hard clumps. Managed to get it broken up and dissolved eventually but I suspect cold water would have been better?

Anyway, will do my first grain BIAB either tomorrow or next weekend. Think I'll do the weiss as I won't need to clarify that with irish moss (which is on it's'way).
Apparently there is a correct order, I belive dme then water not the other way round could be wrong just heard it mentioned somewhere and I don't know if it's cold and you bring up to temp or just add hot water

biometrics

Apparently there is a correct order, I belive dme then water not the other way round could be wrong just heard it mentioned somewhere and I don't know if it's cold and you bring up to temp or just add hot water

I tossed the DME into the fermenter first then poured boiling water over it. Obviously not quite right, but not a disaster.

R

[)roi(]

I agree; plus...
...if you look at the two Pilsner photos I shared; neither used any finings; nor did I cold crash it. I also mill more finely than typical grain mills to improve the efficiency, the mouthfeel, etc.

What I did was filter the wort a second time during the transfer of the wort from the kettle into the fermenter; filtered through a double layer of voile. I also pump out the fermented wort into another bucket to avoid any trub contamination + I tend to err on the side of leaving wort behind.

biometrics

I agree; plus...
...if you look at the two Pilsner photos I shared; neither used any finings; nor did I cold crash it. I also mill more finely than typical grain mills to improve the efficiency, the mouthfeel, etc.

What I did was filter the wort a second time during the transfer of the wort from the kettle into the fermenter; filtered through a double layer of voile. I also pump out the fermented wort into another bucket to avoid any trub contamination + I tend to err on the side of leaving wort behind.
So for the lazy irish moss is useful. ;)

R

[)roi(]

So for the lazy irish moss is useful. ;)
It's no real effort to be frank; but in your case, why not.... ;)

Btw another alternative to Irish moss is StabiQuick, and Bevplus has a lot of this; only question would be whether they can provide you with smaller quantities than 20kg. These products are btw used in commercial beer making.

biometrics

It's no real effort to be frank; but in your case, why not.... ;)

Btw another alternative to Irish moss is StabiQuick, and Bevplus has a lot of this; only question would be whether they can provide you with smaller quantities than 20kg. These products are btw used in commercial beer making.
Price is actually great considering what I paid. But my study is out of space, where to store these bulk items...

R

[)roi(]

Price is actually great considering what I paid. But my study is out of space, where to store these bulk items...
A study isn't ideal in the long term; you really need a dedicated space.
I converted a 25m² room -- added laundry style basins, storage cupboards for ingredients + fermenters, under counter bar fridges, counter tops with electrical outlets, overhead hoist, etc.

If this is more than just a covid-19 diversion; which I have a sneaky suspicion it is. Investing in something similar is part of the hobby. It could also double as a bar, and then add a sliding door onto a patio for the braai. 😁

biometrics

A study isn't ideal in the long term; you really need a dedicated space.
I converted a 25m² room -- added laundry style basins, storage cupboards for ingredients + fermenters, under counter bar fridges, counter tops with electrical outlets, overhead hoist, etc.

If this is more than just a covid-19 diversion; which I have a sneaky suspicion it is. Investing in something similar is part of the hobby. It could also double as a bar, and then add a sliding door onto a patio for the braai. 😁
You just gave me an idea... Outside my study sliding door is an unused stoep with foundation etc... Guess it was intended as a braai stoep but I'm not using it.

biometrics

You just gave me an idea... Outside my study sliding door is an unused stoep with foundation etc... Guess it was intended as a braai stoep but I'm not using it.
Mmm, housemate not so keen on me making a brewery of it. Lol.