Home Brewing

biometrics

Yesterday's Coopers can had expired 10 days ago. The yeast packet had no date on it. I'm sitting in my study and it has started bubbling but really slowly, pushes through the airlock maybe every five minutes. Guess if it stays this slow I can add a fresh packet of yeast. Which would you add to hefe wheat? I have extra S-04 and US-05.

R

[)roi(]

28/0712l
Vienna Malt1.50g
Pacific Crest28g
W34/70 yeast
4​
Reading
1036​
OG
1010​
FG
10/8/2020
3.41%​
ABV
I assume the Vienna Malt is 1.5kg; also the Pacific Crest; at what time in the boil was this added?

If I correct; then your OG should have been 1.027 not 1.036 at 12 litres. So either it's not 12 litres e.g. 9 litres... or you overshot the mash temperature (> 64°C) and extracted some long molecule sugars that the yeast could not use -- but that would have left you with a higher FG of e.g. 1.019 as opposed to 1.010?

The hops is also an unknown; if it was added at the start of the boil i.e. for 60 minutes; then your bitterness would be very high e.g. 131.84
The only other thing I can think of is that you didn't maintain the boil and the hops alpha acids (bitterness) were not extracted properly.

Is there any chance:
  • you overshot the temperature?
  • a rolling boil wasn't maintained for the 60 minutes, after the hops were added?
  • your wort was less than 12 litres?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

[)roi(]

Yesterday's Coopers can had expired 10 days ago. The yeast packet had no date on it. I'm sitting in my study and it has started bubbling but really slowly, pushes through the airlock maybe every five minutes. Guess if it stays this slow I can add a fresh packet of yeast. Which would you add to hefe wheat? I have extra S-04 and US-05.
Before you expend another packet; did you make a yeast starter with some wort; or did you pitch the dry yeast straight into the fermenter?
If the latter; then I'd give it another day; alternatively if the former, then remove a portion of the wort with whatever frothy yeast you can scoop from the top; and use that to prepare another yeast starter. Prepare some boiled sugar water (e.g. 50g); and cool it down to at least 27°C before you add that to your yeast starter; stir it well; and then give the yeast starter time to multiply; once it it looks very active; pitch it back into your fermenter and stir, and seal with airlock.

biometrics

Before you expend another packet; did you make a yeast starter with some wort; or did you pitch the dry yeast straight into the fermenter?
If the latter; then I'd give it another day; alternatively if the former, then remove a portion of the wort with whatever frothy yeast you can scoop from the top; and use that to prepare another yeast starter. Prepare some boiled sugar water (e.g. 50g); and cool it down to at least 27°C before you add that to your yeast starter; stir it well; and then give the yeast starter time to multiply; once it it looks very active; pitch it back into your fermenter and stir, and seal with airlock.
Latter, so will wait

satanboy

I assume the Vienna Malt is 1.5kg; also the Pacific Crest; at what time in the boil was this added?

If I correct; then your OG should have been 1.027 not 1.036 at 12 litres. So either it's not 12 litres e.g. 9 litres... or you overshot the mash temperature (> 64°C) and extracted some long molecule sugars that the yeast could not use -- but that would have left you with a higher FG of e.g. 1.019 as opposed to 1.010?

The hops is also an unknown; if it was added at the start of the boil i.e. for 60 minutes; then your bitterness would be very high e.g. 131.84
The only other thing I can think of is that you didn't maintain the boil and the hops alpha acids (bitterness) were not extracted properly.

Is there any chance:
  • you overshot the temperature?
  • a rolling boil wasn't maintained for the 60 minutes, after the hops were added?
  • your wort was less than 12 litres?

Hops added as soon as 2nd boil.
Overshot temp = was 68C (too hot?)
My pot has measurement inside. It was definitely 12l

Vienna malt was 1,5kg

Last edited:

Snyper564

Hops added as soon as 2nd boil.
Overshot temp = was 68C (too hot?)
My pot has measurement inside. It was definitely 12l

Vienna malt was 1,5kg
read up on long and short sugars you will end up with a more full bodied beer but it will be good still, it might not ferment down as much as expected im talking like 0.1-0,3% here

Snyper564

Thanks too @[)roi(] I'm way more comfortable now this is my 5th brew. I'm playing with a bit of the things on the fly as I understand their impact. Also decided to dilute a bit was 4.2 at 19l and it should have been 3.9. My effeciency was better than expected so I diluted based on a Calc to 20.5l push the extra 3 bottles! Now I'm going to filter into tthe bucket as well let's see how this goes. Also using Oslo kveik and will be fermenting at 30deg and I'll top crop tomorrow

Come to think about it I'm making a Stella clone next with same yeast strain I'll repitch onto the yeast cake. I already have 20.5l split into containers sonita perfect!

Last edited: