Home Brewing

satanboy

biometrics

Ordered more Wort Brewing Kit from Beerplus. So easy to make and really tasty.

biometrics

Got two fermenters filled with the Beerplus wort brewing kit.

One will be a be a English Pale Ale using S-04 yeast:

The other is supposed to be an IPA using US-05 yeast but I forgot to buy that hops. I've got a bunch of hops, wonder which will be closest to "Yakima Chief Cryo Simcoe Hops"? Do I just toss the hops in now?

Last edited:

SykomantiS

Got two fermenters filled with the Beerplus wort brewing kit.

One will be a be a English Pale Ale using S-04 yeast:

The other is supposed to be an IPA using US-05 yeast but I forgot to buy that hops. I've got a bunch of hops, wonder which will be closest to "Yakima Chief Cryo Simcoe Hops"? Do I just toss the hops in now?

Might be a bit late, but normal Simcoe **should be the same as Cryo, with the exception of the lower AA, so you'll have to up the dosage to match the cryo.

This is a handy tools I've come across.

biometrics

The two wort brew kits from Beerplus had one damaged (silver bag popped with inner plastic showing). I thought it would burst if removed from the box and asked them to exchange it. They were fine with it. But that evening I noticed the bags swelling up hard and released the excess gas to reduce pressure. I assumed there was wild yeast in there. Had to keep releasing gas over the next day until I got to put them in fermenters. After mentioning the bag expansion to Beerplus they decided it needed replacing even though I already have them in fermenters, mentioning potensial contamination. So they replaced it. So now I have two full fermenters bubbling away that needs to be replaced. But I can't help but think it's still fine to drink... Thoughts?

Last edited:

LD50

The two wort brew kits from Beerplus had one damaged (silver bag popped with inner plastic showing). I thought it would burst if removed from the box and asked them to exchange it. They were fine with it. But that evening I noticed the bags swelling up hard and released the excess gas to reduce pressure. I assumed there was wild yeast in there. Had to keep releasing gas over the next day until I got to put them in fermenters. After mentioning the bag expansion to Beerplus they decided it needed replacing even though I already have them in fermenters, mentioning potensial contamination. So they replaced it. So now I have two full fermenters bubbling away that needs to be replaced. But I can't help but think it's still fine to drink... Thoughts?
drink it

satanboy

Whats the worst that can happen?

SykomantiS

Sorry, I'm late again with a reply. If it's not too late already, maybe boil whatever is in your fermenters, and pitch fresh yeast?

Düber

Give it a good sniff and a taste, I'm sure it would smell or taste funny if some bacteria or other yeasts got in.

biometrics

Give it a good sniff and a taste, I'm sure it would smell or taste funny if some bacteria or other yeasts got in.
Yeah, going by our ex member [)roid(] the worst is it will taste shit. Hard to toss our 40L of good beer! So I'll go with the taste and sniff test next week when it's ready. I assume some wild yeast got into their brew. The new two boxes seem to be ok and not expanding.