Home Brewing

biometrics

Of course. What I like about Robert is he phones you to sort things out.
Here we go.

This is based on using a Sodastream 60 to start with (due to being able to swap it out easily here) as well as having the tap on top of the keg (due to space constraints, he said I can split it later). I know I can get the Sodastream 60 cheaper at Dischem etc. The Brew Wash is apparently used to clean the keg inside before applying no rinse sanitiser. He says the Cornelius kegs have a large opening at the top so you can stick you arm in (seems like an easier way to clean the keg). He said the gas line doesn't need cleaning, also it just fits on, you don't need clamps.

1603908316365.png

biometrics

Btw, that keg is 535mm H x 230mm. If I take out the bottom drawer and the door shelves out of my bar fridge, the keg will fit in. Perfect! Take it out when I want a pint, hook it up, pour and enjoy. Should stay cold for a while. When done disconnect and I pop it back. :)

That said, will there be presurised CO2 in the keg when I connect/disconnect? Does it gas out when you do that?

GreGorGy

Nice basket. Let's start with the Corny keg. They are all pretty much the same. Mine is just like yours in terms of use. It has the two posts and a center piece that unclips. Very easy to use and a pleasure to maintain. When you remove that top centre piece, you will see that one post has a long spear and the other a short spear. The long spear connects to the out post onto which you attach the tap disconnect.You can leave that one off all the time. The short spear is for the gas. I would leave that on - it should still fit in the fridge (at least on my corny, the disconnect does not have a higher profile than the keg's handles).

So, with the tap and gas disconnects, you're good. You lift the outer edge to release the springs on the balls and it just clips on. Don't mix them up.

The gas line: I also got two meters at first and eventually, I cut it in half once I had my setup proper to my bar's layout. So well done on getting two meters, although you only need one - better to have more than less.

I also use brew wash then no rinse when I do my kegs. Perfect arrangement. The sodastream cylinder is what it is. It is the item that I have left to last that is interesting and needs a little more detail. When you get it, look inside the 60 Adaptor to make sure it has a washer. If not, get tap washers from builders. They seal it proper. Also, use plumbers tape to screw the adaptor into the mini regulator. Lots of it. And tighten it properly with a spanner because when you remove the sodastream, it can release from the regulator instead of the adaptor.

Lastly, the regulator comes with two brass plugs for the gas out side. Use the swaged one to connect the gas. Keep the other one though - you never know. Also use the plumbers tape and a number 12 spanner to tighten it properly. Lastly, it has a dial on the top. Move it all the way towards the minus before attaching the sodastream then adjust it to 1.5 when you have it connected to the keg. That is exactly how I had mine last week.

Right now, I have about 8l left in my corny so if I get it empty this weekend, I will make a short set of photos and videos showing how to fill it. And speak of that, the corny comes with a pressure release valve. Once you have washed and no-rinse sterilised it, seal it up (without the tap) and connect the gas and pressurise it - just to fill it with gas and get rid of the air. Release with that valve. Then, once properly released, remove the wide cover and siphon beer into it, with the syphon touching the bottom so the beer does not fall and gather more air. Seal it up, pressurise it and agitate it to really get that CO2 in there. And try to keep the gas connected at 1.5

biometrics

Nice basket. Let's start with the Corny keg. They are all pretty much the same. Mine is just like yours in terms of use. It has the two posts and a center piece that unclips. Very easy to use and a pleasure to maintain. When you remove that top centre piece, you will see that one post has a long spear and the other a short spear. The long spear connects to the out post onto which you attach the tap disconnect.You can leave that one off all the time. The short spear is for the gas. I would leave that on - it should still fit in the fridge (at least on my corny, the disconnect does not have a higher profile than the keg's handles).

So, with the tap and gas disconnects, you're good. You lift the outer edge to release the springs on the balls and it just clips on. Don't mix them up.

The gas line: I also got two meters at first and eventually, I cut it in half once I had my setup proper to my bar's layout. So well done on getting two meters, although you only need one - better to have more than less.

I also use brew wash then no rinse when I do my kegs. Perfect arrangement. The sodastream cylinder is what it is. It is the item that I have left to last that is interesting and needs a little more detail. When you get it, look inside the 60 Adaptor to make sure it has a washer. If not, get tap washers from builders. They seal it proper. Also, use plumbers tape to screw the adaptor into the mini regulator. Lots of it. And tighten it properly with a spanner because when you remove the sodastream, it can release from the regulator instead of the adaptor.

Lastly, the regulator comes with two brass plugs for the gas out side. Use the swaged one to connect the gas. Keep the other one though - you never know. Also use the plumbers tape and a number 12 spanner to tighten it properly. Lastly, it has a dial on the top. Move it all the way towards the minus before attaching the sodastream then adjust it to 1.5 when you have it connected to the keg. That is exactly how I had mine last week.

Right now, I have about 8l left in my corny so if I get it empty this weekend, I will make a short set of photos and videos showing how to fill it. And speak of that, the corny comes with a pressure release valve. Once you have washed and no-rinse sterilised it, seal it up (without the tap) and connect the gas and pressurise it - just to fill it with gas and get rid of the air. Release with that valve. Then, once properly released, remove the wide cover and siphon beer into it, with the syphon touching the bottom so the beer does not fall and gather more air. Seal it up, pressurise it and agitate it to really get that CO2 in there. And try to keep the gas connected at 1.5
Awesome, thanks! Droid was great with the brewing info, and your kegging info is helping loads! Thanks to both of you. This thread has gone beyond all my expectations...

GreGorGy

Awesome, thanks! Droid was great with the brewing info, and your kegging info is helping loads! Thanks to both of you. This thread has gone beyond all my expectations...

No sweat - it is great to have a single resource with like-minded individuals.

I will also try and document the BenoniBrew stuff if I get a chance. This weekend though promises to be a huge one so god alone knows how it ends.

SykomantiS

No sweat - it is great to have a single resource with like-minded individuals.

I will also try and document the BenoniBrew stuff if I get a chance. This weekend though promises to be a huge one so god alone knows how it ends.
I see they have a conical ss fermenter about a grand cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Would that be on your list by any chance? Wondering if it's a good deal or if there's a reason the others are more expensive.

GreGorGy

I see they have a conical ss fermenter about a grand cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Would that be on your list by any chance? Wondering if it's a good deal or if there's a reason the others are more expensive.

It is on my list and will be attempted on Saturday. It is cheaper most likely because it is just the fermenter, no power to keep the temperature.

GreGorGy