Forum Suggestions

biometrics

Contact Us form disabled due to spamming. Captcha not helping. Join the forum if you have something to say.

biometrics

Right, tired off the hundreds of guests/bots sucking the life out of our server. Averaging between 500 and 800 “guests”.

These are mostly bots on the AI bandwagon training their large language models. It has zero benefit for us other than slowing down the server.

Going to change the forum to members only.

Any objection?

biometrics

Right, tired off the hundreds of guests/bots sucking the life out of our server. Averaging between 500 and 800 “guests”.

These are mostly bots on the AI bandwagon training their large language models. It has zero benefit for us other than slowing down the server.

Going to change the forum to members only.

Any objection?
Going to try this out, let me know if there are issues.

Anyone can register and access the full forum. We are not sent any traffic by Google etc as we don't run ads. The AI bots are just slowing down the site.

biometrics

I wouldn't like to make this a permanent setting. Hopefully the AI fad will pass. Or else I need to figure out more granular Xenforo settings. Btw, Xenforo is not easy to use.

biometrics

Have enabled unregistered users to view the forum again, let's see how it goes. If it slows down again will need to consider an upgrade or block the bots again.

biometrics

What's your reasoning then for allowing them to crawl?

Just wanting to see if I should suggest to admin of SAG to block them or not.
It's hard to filter out what you don't want. Forums tend to be an all or nothing kind of thing.