Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

LD50

We should only care about personal hygiene and the availability of an effective vaccine. These number crunching missions are a waste of time

Nicholas

It will only skyrocket if we increase testing. There seems to be a drive to test as little as possible, creating 'a false economy'.
I would have thought that if the virus was being spread around and more people were infected it would increase whether we can't bear to find out what testing may reveal or not.

sand_man

If we perform fewer tests, that doesn't automagically result in fewer people being infected.
For sure. I've always maintained the more pertinent stat is the number of tests per positive or the percentage of positive results. This number was less than 3% in the early days and as high as 30% at the peak. Below 20% more recently.

So if 1 out of 5 tests are coming back positive and you testing 50k people, that's 10k positives. If you test 10k, 2k positives and so on.... We testing less and less, good for the over all stats but doesn't paint an accurate picture of what's happening on the ground.

I think what is more enlightening is the occupancy rates at our hospitals, both private and public. There doesn't seem to be any indication that they being over run. We not exactly seeing people dropping in the streets or pilled up outside morgues and funeral parlours.

What is worrying are the excess deaths. Very worrying actually. Estimated 33 000 since the beginning of May. What percentage of those deaths are COVID related? Anyone's guess...

sand_man

Something else to consider, public sector tests taking up to 10 days to process. So when the health department says x amount of tests in the last 24 hours, that's almost irrelevant as the results of those tests will trickle though up to and over the next 10 days.

biometrics

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 20h00 this evening, Saturday 15 August 2020, on developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19.

The President’s address follows a meeting earlier this week of the National Coronavirus Command Council and meetings today of the President’s Coordinating Council and Cabinet.

sand_man

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 20h00 this evening, Saturday 15 August 2020, on developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19.

The President’s address follows a meeting earlier this week of the National Coronavirus Command Council and meetings today of the President’s Coordinating Council and Cabinet.
It's possibly the most significant address since the initial lock down was introduced. Bit scared to watch, will rather catch the key points on Twitter after...

biometrics

It's possibly the most significant address since the initial lock down was introduced. Bit scared to watch, will rather catch the key points on Twitter after...
With us still peaking or just over peak with the threat of a second wave I doubt there will be huge changes. Think they are going to allow a few more things but ask us to wait for the curve to properly come down.

biometrics

My prediction:

Due to only recently peaking and a fear of a second wave like Europe.

Remain level 3.
More businesses can open like gyms but under very strict/limited conditions.
Alcohol for sale.
Tobacco remains banned.