Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

biometrics

Driving licence expired in lockdown? Now it's valid until 2021

All learner's licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expire during the period that commenced from March 26 up to and including August 31 are deemed to be valid and their validity period is extended for a further grace period ending on January 31 2021

Doesn't help me, mine expires a day later on 1 Sep.

Geoff.D

Driving licence expired in lockdown? Now it's valid until 2021

All learner's licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expire during the period that commenced from March 26 up to and including August 31 are deemed to be valid and their validity period is extended for a further grace period ending on January 31 2021

Doesn't help me, mine expires a day later on 1 Sep.
Mine as well 5th September 2020.

bigAl-sa

Medical Research Council reports estimated 17 000 excess deaths during Covid-19 outbreak

The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) on Wednesday reported an estimated 17 000 more deaths than expected, or "excess deaths", occurred in the country since May this year.

The way they read those graphs is incorrect.

Badballie

Medical Research Council reports estimated 17 000 excess deaths during Covid-19 outbreak

The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) on Wednesday reported an estimated 17 000 more deaths than expected, or "excess deaths", occurred in the country since May this year.

These are estimated figures not actual figures , so they are thumb suck figures .

biometrics

The way they read those graphs is incorrect.
These are estimated figures not actual figures , so they are thumb suck figures .
Followup article:

bigAl-sa

Followup article:

They are not using the model correctly. You cannot reinterpret the existing model, as they did, without rebuilding the model.

[maybe I should write a note for the newsdesk refuting their arguments]

biometrics

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 8pm on Thursday with an update on developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of Covid-19.

“The president’s address follows a number of meetings of the cabinet and the national coronavirus command council,” the presidency said in a statement.

The address will be broadcast live on television, radio and streamed live on online platforms.

There has been widespread speculation that one of the issues Ramaphosa will address will be calls for schools to close during the peak of the coronavirus pandemic.