Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

bigAl-sa

I'm thinking we have enough data to calculate the outcomes death rate in SA. It seems much lower than in other parts of the world which is closer to 20%. This will of course increase...

(206 / (206 + 4357)) * 100 = 4.5%
Not sure what this fraction means. 4.5% of people that got through the virus yesterday?

bigAl-sa

I prefer looking at the number of daily deaths per million population:

2v2HAtNqGxAsZog.png

SA is very low, and the growth is certainly not exponential for the period I have been monitoring this.

Tribs

I prefer looking at the number of daily deaths per million population:

2v2HAtNqGxAsZog.png

SA is very low, and the growth is certainly not exponential for the period I have been monitoring this.
Wow look at India. And if you take the conditions of their country into account - I am really amazed at how low it is.

Badballie

I'm thinking we have enough data to calculate the outcomes death rate in SA. It seems much lower than in other parts of the world which is closer to 20%. This will of course increase...

(206 / (206 + 4357)) * 100 = 4.5%

There are two calculations CFR and IFR case fatality rate and infection fatality rate .
The debate rages on , actual death rate seems to be between .2% and .39% , even Neil Ferguson seems to be under 1% now .(IFR)
The only Known figures seem to be how many people died supposedly from the virus .
The infection rate is not known because between 50% and 90% are asymptomatic .

Last edited:

bigAl-sa

Of course we don't. But someone does. It was included in the graph.
It's my graph, with figures taken from worldometer, which takes their figures from WHO.

Their SA figures are the same as the ones quoted daily by our okes.

Tribs

It's my graph, with figures taken from worldometer, which takes their figures from WHO.

Their SA figures are the same as the ones quoted daily by our okes.
Ah - ok. But those figures cannot be right given the absolute poverty and cramped conditions most of India is in. Granted the poor have to come into contact with someone who has the virus - but at least one has to have. And the infection would then be out of control. But if those pictures in that thread are to be believed - many of the dead infected would just float away.

Our government would not have all the figures either. So we are dealing in known data only - but there is so much that is not being included. I am guessing at this - given their history on data collection and the protocols they apply to the data they have.

bigAl-sa

Ah - ok. But those figures cannot be right given the absolute poverty and cramped conditions most of India is in. Granted the poor have to come into contact with someone who has the virus - but at least one has to have. And the infection would then be out of control. But if those pictures in that thread are to be believed - many of the dead infected would just float away.

Our government would not have all the figures either. So we are dealing in known data only - but there is so much that is not being included. I am guessing at this - given their history on data collection and the protocols they apply to the data they have.
Talking about cramped, 3 deaths in our prisons, with a population of over 160k, and quite a high infection rate too.

biometrics

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 20h30 this evening, Wednesday 13 May 2020, on South Africa's ongoing measures to manage the spread of the coronavirus through the implementation of a risk adjusted strategy.

The President's address follows a number of meetings of Cabinet and the National Coronavirus Command Council.

The_Mowgs

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 20h30 this evening, Wednesday 13 May 2020, on South Africa's ongoing measures to manage the spread of the coronavirus through the implementation of a risk adjusted strategy.

The President's address follows a number of meetings of Cabinet and the National Coronavirus Command Council.
Which president is it?

bigAl-sa

How's this for sensationalism:

While the economic damage is indisputable and there is clear evidence that we have slowed the spread of the disease, with daily case growth averaging 6% over the past month compared with 30% per day prior to lockdown and death growth of 7% per day over the past month, there are important reasons why we should take a breath and not be overly hasty in our calls.

A daily death rate of 7% still means that our deaths are doubling every 10 days, which would take us to 12 500 deaths in two months and 100 000 deaths in three months.

I would love to know where this oke gets his numbers from. A daily death rate of 7% :oops: