Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

biometrics

Do you think any of them would sell me a draught tap? I have access to a 50l keg of Guinness...
Maybe try here:

Tribs

My retired 78-year-old domestic worker, who started working for my family when I was 3 years old, looks to have barely hours left with a Covid-19 infection. Her distraught daughter phoned just now. She's been waiting over 4 hours for an ambulance. Christ, the unintelligible bubbled mumbling when she held the phone to her mother's mouth will haunt me until I die. Must be very severe pneumonia to sound like that. She is like family to us. And more than that, she still has a big family to look after, including 3 very young grandkids to whom she is the main parental figure. Shit sucks man. This fucking corona bullshit.
Oh wow this is heavy. I really hope she gets treatment that will help her. But from what you said - it doesn't seem likely.

Bryn

Oh wow this is heavy. I really hope she gets treatment that will help her. But from what you said - it doesn't seem likely.

An ambulance eventually arrived, and the medics refused to take her to hospital. They said no one is on duty at Dora Nginza, so she'll just sit in the waiting room all night. What a joke. So much for needing to lockdown so public healthcare services can be prepared for the crisis.

Tribs

An ambulance eventually arrived, and the medics refused to take her to hospital. They said no one is on duty at Dora Nginza, so she'll just sit in the waiting room all night. What a joke. So much for needing to lockdown so public healthcare services can be prepared for the crisis.
You need to get that out there. Twitter is a great place to get people riled up.

Bryn

You need to get that out there. Twitter is a great place to get people riled up.

Another sad thing I've heard a few times suggests that there's a widespread or growing belief that it's better to just die at home, because if you get admitted for corona your family isn't allowed to see you and you die alone.

Tribs

Another sad thing I've heard a few times suggests that there's a widespread or growing belief that it's better to just die at home, because if you get admitted for corona your family isn't allowed to see you and you die alone.
I get how dying alone is scary - but so is putting the lives of your family at risk. Granted they probably have been exposed by the time you feel like you are dying - but they won't get treated until they know what it is. :oops:

Bryn

I get how dying alone is scary - but so is putting the lives of your family at risk. Granted they probably have been exposed by the time you feel like you are dying - but they won't get treated until they know what it is. :oops:

It's also a cultural/public hospital thing. People rely on their family to bring them blankets, food, swap their clothes, clean them etc. You get jack shit from the hospital and nurses. So being unable to have any visitors is likely not a welcome prospect for anyone familiar with state healthcare.

Tribs

It's also a cultural/public hospital thing. People rely on their family to bring them blankets, food, swap their clothes, clean them etc. You get jack shit from the hospital and nurses. So being unable to have any visitors is likely not a welcome prospect for anyone familiar with state healthcare.
This is saddening and infuriating.

bigAl-sa

It actually makes you wonder what the whole lockdown thing was for :cry:

Jings

Did anyone contact the hospital to confirm? Hard to believe nobody's on duty.

Bryn

Did anyone contact the hospital to confirm? Hard to believe nobody's on duty.
Yeah, I have friends and family who are pharmacists and doctors. A large chunk of government doctors, nurses and pharmacists are refusing to work in and around Nelson Mandela Bay due to a lack of protective equipment and security personnel.

Dora Nginza has a poor reputation on top of that. They sometimes have no one on duty even when there isn't a global pandemic.

Jings

Yeah, I have friends and family who are pharmacists and doctors. A large chunk of government doctors, nurses and pharmacists are refusing to work in and around Nelson Mandela Bay due to a lack of protective equipment and security personnel.

Dora Nginza has a poor reputation on top of that. They sometimes have no one on duty even when there isn't a global pandemic.
That's really sad. Eastern Cape used to have some of the best hospitals in the country.

Bryn

That's really sad. Eastern Cape used to have some of the best hospitals in the country.
The private ones in PE are fine. Just the public ones that have been diabolical for years.

And the private ones seem to be refusing Covid patients. When my mom asked if it would be safe to get her monthly blood test they said that they send suspected coronavirus cases to the public hospitals, and that they have no coronavirus patients at all. They want no part of this shitstorm.