Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

Badballie

Any one know the temperature survival of the corona virus ?
Been googling for a while and just getting BS about urine and faeces , looking for a quick easy way to disinfect parcels like putting them in the deep freeze for an hour , some thing like that .
Dont want to spray with alcohol or meths .

biometrics

Been googling for a while and just getting BS about urine and faeces , looking for a quick easy way to disinfect parcels like putting them in the deep freeze for an hour , some thing like that .
@Dave

I thought I could do that but was shown it can survive a month in cold.

Either spray your parcel or groceries with alcohol, quarantine it for four days or was with soap.

Dave

From memory, cold is the virus's friend, it actually lengthens the life (at freezer temps into the months), it needs soap, alcohol or heat to kill it (something like >56° for more than 10 minutes). UV-C light is also supposed to be effective.

Textile Guy

If you are close to J Bay, you could drop them off my mother in law.
If it doesnt infect the bitch, you should be good to go (y)

Apoc184

So anybody know when they will update us on possible drop of Level and new regulations or restrictions lifted?

Seems like they have gone all quiet now since announcing we will drop to Level 4 with no further plan or updates in sight.

The infection and death numbers have not exactly increased exponentially in the last week, yet the economy and especially SME's keep collapsing exponentially.

biometrics

So anybody know when they will update us on possible drop of Level and new regulations or restrictions lifted?

Seems like they have gone all quiet now since announcing we will drop to Level 4 with no further plan or updates in sight.

The infection and death numbers have not exactly increased exponentially in the last week, yet the economy and especially SME's keep collapsing exponentially.
I’d say end of the month. Since it takes two weeks to develop symptoms and the levels will be data driven.

Apoc184

That'll be the end of many a business and thousands of jobs. Ours probably included.

This week was actually the very first time I seriously started worrying about our business and my job.

sand_man

If we look at the raw numbers and we trust those numbers, SA is dodging a bullet thus far.

Around 3% of all tests have come back positive, our recovery rate to date, sits at around 40% of confirmed cases and our death rate at less than 2% of the confirmed cases thus far... Those are some exceptional numbers....

AfricanTech

That'll be the end of many a business and thousands of jobs. Ours probably included.

This week was actually the very first time I seriously started worrying about our business and my job.
Which business are you in?

Apoc184

Which business are you in?

Construction. Or more specifically Plant and Tool Hire for Construction.

We are open at the moment for small stuff but our main customers and projects are only allowed back from Level 2.

biometrics

Construction. Or more specifically Plant and Tool Hire for Construction.

We are open at the moment for small stuff but our main customers and projects are only allowed back from Level 2.
We're also in trouble (50% salary), we are a cloud platform service provider and many of our downstream clients are in retail or hospitality. They are either cancelling, not paying or asking for huge discounts and that then goes up the chain.

But we will apply for the covid-19 business loan when it opens. Iirc a payment holiday for the first year and then you pay it over five years. The interest rate is below prime.