Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

Badballie

Can anyone seriously look at that and say that the lock-down had any effect other than perhaps guaranteeing a 2nd wave?

My question is also how do we test, do we run around finding people that cough or is it at a standard locations?
230000 tests did not know they had so many tests .
I think they are screening people and if they have symptoms they test them, they have been going in to rural areas doing that .
At the end of the day they have no idea how many people have been infected because between 50% and 85% of people are asymptomatic .

Last edited:

LD50

Another 447 cases and 8 deaths

This not the most new cases we've had so far?

Badballie

Perspective .

"
On the other hand, influenza (commonly known as the flu) statistics paint an even bleaker picture: the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that worldwide, annual flu epidemics result in as many as five million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 deaths.
To put it in a local context, the flu kills between 6 000 to 11 000 South Africans every year, according to the National Department of Health. About 50% of those deaths are among the elderly, and about 30% in HIV-infected people.
To put this into further context, an article by the New York Times reports that the seasonal flu strains kill about 0.1% of people who become infected, whereas early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China are around 2%.
However, we should be cautious to label this the “true death rate” for two reasons:
  • Many mild-symptom or symptom-free cases are not detected.
  • The sudden outbreak was hard to control and contain in the beginning – although it bought the rest of the world time to prepare for the dissemination of the virus.
This means that the actual death rate could be under 2%, and similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1%, according to an editorial published in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

sand_man

Problem for me is I have comorbidities such as high blood pressure, asthma and overweight. If I get it I will die.
Me too bro but not necessarily. It's not a given, would hurt you though... that's a given...

What I've always wondered about high blood pressure and COVID though, if your blood pressure is kept within safe parameters through medicating, does it pose the same risk? I would assume un-diagnosed and untreated high blood pressure is where the problem comes in?

Need to invite a doctor to join the forum...

Badballie

Problem for me is I have comorbidities such as high blood pressure, asthma and overweight. If I get it I will die.
I have a few my self 65, high blood , had a triple heart by pass ,diabetic no insulin, over weight .
Not worried about dying i have made peace with that .
When you get to 65 and most of your friends have died ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

konfab

Now would be a good time to do some dieting and exercise. Helped my asthma immensely.

biometrics

I managed to do 30 minutes of cardio regularly in my tiny backyard just by doing a running-on-the-spot type jog.
I've done a few 2km walks (60 lengths of 30+m) but it's bloody boring. A treadmill will also be great in the Cape winter.

sand_man

I've done a few 2km walks (60 lengths of 30+m) but it's bloody boring. A treadmill will also be great in the Cape winter.
Is doing a couple of lapse around the block where you live not an option? I've taken to walking as a light source of exercise.. around the immediate neighborhood..

biometrics

Is doing a couple of lapse around the block where you live not an option? I've taken to walking as a light source of exercise.. around the immediate neighborhood..
I'm not a morning person, I only get up after 9. Excuses, yes I know.