Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

Düber

Because you forget to put it on once you exit the car.

I now place my mask over my wallet so that I can't get out without touching it.
That is a good idea, I have had to walk back to the car a number of times.

Johnatan56

Test rate is going down, positivity rate going up, still too little testing to get accurate figures.

Arzy

Test rate is going down, positivity rate going up, still too little testing to get accurate figures.

That's a very interesting stat but to be expected though.

People are over this virus now and simply view it as a cold. As a generalization you'd find that many people testing now are the concerned parents of kids and those forced to because they are I'll enough to warrant a Dr's visit.

Most other people are self medicating and getting over it without wasting time on tests.

Johnatan56

That's a very interesting stat but to be expected though.

People are over this virus now and simply view it as a cold. As a generalization you'd find that many people testing now are the concerned parents of kids and those forced to because they are I'll enough to warrant a Dr's visit.

Most other people are self medicating and getting over it without wasting time on tests.
No, South Africa has failed the guidelines for testing since the beginning, they only had three short periods where they had under 5% positivity rate:
1649091450558.png
The 5% is regarded as the max by the WHO for when you can't really say there's a correlation between positivity rate and covid prevalence in the population group.

For most of South Africa, they can't afford to go get tested, they can't go to a public doctor or hospital to get tested/booking for it as they can't afford to take a sick day if they can even get into earlier parts of the queue.

Also for covid, you want to have the people with symptoms avoid contact with others, so you're sending them to hospitals where they're stuck in queues for hours, so now you are basically guaranteed to get it instead since most public hospitals have bad/overfilled queuing/waiting areas, so people won't go and get tested.

Even Austria is failing the WHO guideline now:
1649091691162.png
And as of 3 days ago, there are no more as many free tests as you want, now limited to 5 PCR, 5 Antigen per month, which is stupid, since e.g. for myself I now need to decide if I want to test before going to work or if I want to keep it for the days I go visit my gran or grandfather.

There's exception for visiting people in hospital/old age homes, but neither of my grandparents are in either, my grandfather has private help and nurses that come to his house, my gran is still good enough that she can live alone but has an auto immune disease, so I can choose to visit 5 times in a month if I use up all my PCR tests for that, then don't have any for work, and I am obliged to come to work once a week from mid April (depending on positivity rate), so will probs want to use for that (though don't need to as booster vaccinated).

Also what's interesting is that there are a thousand people who died in the last month, but now is the time to drop the tests?
1649091962683.png
At least % of people getting covid started to decrease, and tendency was already going down.
1649092064321.png
And there is no way that Austria has more cases than South Africa, just Austria has way better testing.

South Africa is at 0.39 / 100k, Austria is at 51.58 / 100k.
1649092259308.png