Spizz

So on the census that's currently running, they ask whether you identify as
British
English
Scottish
Welsh
Irish

Interesting.

That is indeed interesting. I'd love to see the results of that broken down into the 4 countries.

For the record, Scot/Brit is my preferred answer.

AdrianH

I did the census that fast I don’t actually remember seeing that question...

My wife did ours, didn't even see the questions.

I remember doing the SA one. Two ladies came a knocking. While I was answering all the questions on the form, we chatted about this and that. Very friendly, polite and approachable. I get why they send two, for safety reasons, but I do wonder the risks of sending two women as opposed to a man and woman.

Bryn

Not going anywhere. Going to stay and fight.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

What does that even mean? Assassinating corrupt politicians? Business as usual in a failing state doesn't seem like it will assist with any meaningful change.

Sounds a bit to me like someone on the Titanic saying they're going to stay and fight, while it's busy splitting in half.

No. I like it here. Other countries have other issues. Don’t think you’ll ever be able to shake off being a South African, we’re a unique bunch. And you’ll never be truly accepted by the locals where you go.

That last bit is definitely not the case unless you make it so. Some folks leave for the wrong reasons and for the wrong places and then have a bad time, for sure. But there are loads of places you can move to here in South Africa that would make you equally unhappy.

I wouldn't expect any emigration destination to be perfect. That's not why I'm leaving. The main reason is to swap out a set of problems that includes a ridiculously high risk of violent death for a set of problems that doesn't.

Enjoying exceptional personal safety, whilst having other stressors in life, can't be equated to what South Africans live with every day in my opinion.

sand_man

What does that even mean? Assassinating corrupt politicians? Business as usual in a failing state doesn't seem like it will assist with any meaningful change.

Sounds a bit to me like someone on the Titanic saying they're going to stay and fight, while it's busy splitting in half
No, nothing as profound. Just mean I’m going to wash my hair this morning.

biometrics

The main reason is to swap out a set of problems that includes a ridiculously high risk of violent death for a set of problems that doesn't.
Where do you live because I feel perfectly safe in Hermanus? As you said:

“But there are loads of places you can move to here in South Africa that would make you equally unhappy.”

dabean

Sounds a bit to me like someone on the Titanic saying they're going to stay and fight, while it's busy splitting in half.

Anyone trying to make me the enemy will have to get through my friends and neighbours first. When it gets down to my family I'll stand and fight.

I'm happy where I am. Anyone with an opposing opinion is welcome to try and remove me.

Bryn

Where do you live because I feel perfectly safe in Hermanus? As you said:

“But there are loads of places you can move to here in South Africa that would make you equally unhappy.”

I think it's safe to say that a vanishingly small portion of South Africans feel an adequate sense of personal safety.

With with Hermanus, 2 minutes on Google and I found a TripAdviser thread with locals saying that the cliff path is mostly safe with infrequent muggings, but don't do it after dark. And a crime statistics page saying that Hermanus has amongst the highest rates of burglaries in the country. There are still a bunch of murders, attempted murders, rapes and whatnot. A new public safety initiative kicked off a few months ago. And so on. Looks like it's doing better than most places, but by no means exempt from violent crime.

Whereas I could live somewhere like Canada or New Zealand and enjoy a totally negligible risk of violent death, day or night.

Anyone trying to make me the enemy will have to get through my friends and neighbours first. When it gets down to my family I'll stand and fight.

I'm happy where I am. Anyone with an opposing opinion is welcome to try and remove me.

It's just a discussion bud. No one is removing you. Although your friends and neighbours will be of minimal usefulness if violent criminals invade your home. Nor will you be any use to family members until long after the invasion or whatever is over.

Even your stand and fight attitude is typical for the sort of PTSD trauma South Africans seem to develop over their constant fear of violence.

I'm not sure about you guys, but my community WhatsApp group has Atlas on it and they send a weekly infographic on the nearby crime stats. That shit is horrifying. I live in probably the most upmarket area of PE, and the amount of stuff going down every week is insane. I shudder to think what less affluent and outright poor areas must go through.

satanboy

It should be obvious why there would be more burglaries in Hermanus. Holiday homes.

biometrics

Whereas I could live somewhere like Canada or New Zealand and enjoy a totally negligible risk of violent death, day or night.
Name a place so I can Google crime there, you get it everywhere.

I walked the full cliff path hundreds of times, never had a problem. I don’t go walking around at night, I like to do stuff at home. Hermanus has the highest rate of burglaries? Absolute nonsense. Rapes and muders? Dude, seriously, where do you get this kak?

Sinbad

A violent crime is when someone physically hurts or threatens to hurt someone, and also includes crimes where a weapon is used. The police will record a crime as violent if the offender clearly intended or intends to physically harm you, regardless of whether or not it results in a physical injury.

Bryn

Name a place so I can Google crime there, you get it everywhere.

I walked the full cliff path hundreds of times, never had a problem. I don’t go walking around at night, I like to do stuff at home. Hermanus has the highest rate of burglaries? Absolute nonsense. Rapes and muders? Dude, seriously, where do you get this kak?

I told you. 2 minutes on Google.

In 2019, Hermanus was 25th for most reported burglaries.

Also, just download the latest crime stats.

For Hermanus, October to December 2020:
  • 9 murders
  • 25 sexual offences, incl. 18 rapes
  • 17 attempted murders
  • 49 assaults with the intent to inflict grievous bodily harm
  • 84 common assault
  • 12 common robbery
  • 25 robbery with aggravating circumstances
  • 1 carjacking
  • 2 arson
  • 71 malicious damage to property
  • 15 burglaries at non-residential premises
  • 115 burglaries at residential premises
  • 5 theft of motor vehicle
  • 65 theft out of a motor vehicle
  • 143 'other' thefts, excl. 37 shoplifting
  • 166 drug-related crimes
  • 30 drunk driving offences
I'm not saying Hermanus is a cesspit of violence, but it's folly to think it's free of violent crime.

Edit: I just checked my own police station and it does a fair bit better than Hermanus.

biometrics

I told you. 2 minutes on Google.

In 2019, Hermanus was 25th for most reported burglaries.

Also, just download the latest crime stats.

For Hermanus, October to December 2020:
  • 9 murders
  • 25 sexual offences, incl. 18 rapes
  • 17 attempted murders
  • 49 assaults with the intent to inflict grievous bodily harm
  • 84 common assault
  • 12 common robbery
  • 25 robbery with aggravating circumstances
  • 1 carjacking
  • 2 arson
  • 71 malicious damage to property
  • 15 burglaries at non-residential premises
  • 115 burglaries at residential premises
  • 5 theft of motor vehicle
  • 65 theft out of a motor vehicle
  • 143 'other' thefts, excl. 37 shoplifting
  • 166 drug-related crimes
  • 30 drunk driving offences
I'm not saying Hermanus is a cesspit of violence, but it's folly to think it's free of violent crime.

Edit: I just checked my own police station and it does a fair bit better than Hermanus.
Where are you going, let's google that?