Are you considering leaving SA?

Blantyre

The country is not in a good state and it's probably a matter of years before other countries within the continent start to move ahead of us.

Unless you have contacts, get a bit of luck or have a legal claim to citizenship in another country, it seems to be getting harder and harder to get work abroad.

Many of us are left with no choice but to tough it out in SA as it's extremely hard to get work abroad which is becoming more and more exclusive only to people with vital skills.

Are you considering leaving or are you going to tough it out in SA?

Last edited:

spiderz

Where would you like to go?

I hear you can find nice places in the karoo... or hermanus 🤔

biometrics

No. I like it here. Other countries have other issues. Don’t think you’ll ever be able to shake off being a South African, we’re a unique bunch. And you’ll never be truly accepted by the locals where you go.

Blantyre

No. I like it here. Other countries have other issues.

True, I think it depends on a number of factors. If you are rich, living in SA is probably better than living in many first-world countries though if you are lower middle-class and poor in SA, you are most likely affected by crime, poor and inadequate service delivery etc.

Sinbad

Where did you go to and how is it compared to SA? Are there any advantages about SA that you miss?
Did it 3 weeks ago
I'm in England. I'm sure I'll miss aspects of the outdoor lifestyle, and friends and family. I miss my wife but that's just until her visa comes through..

Johnatan56

No. I like it here. Other countries have other issues. Don’t think you’ll ever be able to shake off being a South African, we’re a unique bunch. And you’ll never be truly accepted by the locals where you go.
I take it you haven't traveled that much then? It heavily depends on where you go and how well you fit into the culture there.

I'm at 2.5 weeks now, rocky start so all plans flew out the window, but everything sorted itself out now.

biometrics

I take it you haven't traveled that much then? It heavily depends on where you go and how well you fit into the culture there.

I'm at 2.5 weeks now, rocky start so all plans flew out the window, but everything sorted itself out now.
Been the the US, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Nigeria and Tanzania. Does that count?

Tribs

The country is not in a good state and it's probably a matter of years before other countries within the continent start to move ahead of us.

Unless you have contacts, get a bit of luck or have a legal claim to citizenship in another country, it seems to be getting harder and harder to get work abroad.

Many of us are left with no choice but to tough it out in SA as it's extremely hard to get work abroad which is becoming more and more exclusive only to people with vital skills.

Are you considering leaving or are you going to tough it out in SA?
Nope - I love South Africa. I think we can eventually find a way for everyone to coexist peacefully. Yes we do have problems - but so does everywhere. I do have a Dutch passport so can go if I wanted to - but I don't. Hubby is from the UK so could get there too - also don't want to. I just really believe some of us need to stick around and help this place become what it can be.

BloodrayneZA

I already in the uk, nearly 2 years now. Hard to find work with a disability so currently toughing it out with my latest experience - cleaning and housekeeping work.

I went for an interview on Monday for a housekeeper job at an hotel and the interviewer likes my work experiences, we had a nice chat and even chatted about our hobbies.

last Friday had an interview with a cleaning company - self employed type of work and can only offer 20 hours to start off and then build up my client base to do more from there.

so you just take on whatever work you can as the pandemic has made a lot of people redundant throughout the hospitality industry so just about everyone is looking for work.

BloodrayneZA

Did it 3 weeks ago
I'm in England. I'm sure I'll miss aspects of the outdoor lifestyle, and friends and family. I miss my wife but that's just until her visa comes through..
It’s very different to SA, you’ll find out later. The weather in winter is shite. Seriously the warm weather we get here is short lived in the summer but once you get used to the cold weather, you will complain about the uk heatwave - 35 degrees compared to 50 degrees in SA.

also if we say it’s hot outside, the poms say it’s warm in a way to say it’s actually hot.

Up in the North, you have different dialects. We have a Yorkshire dialect that’s spoken in most parts of Yorkshire. The Geordie dialect is spoken in Newcastle.

BloodrayneZA

Where did you go to and how is it compared to SA? Are there any advantages about SA that you miss?
For one, NHS is great. They’re good with people who have disabilities - always going out of their way to accommodate special needs. I lipread only and they have made adjustments to enable me to lipread during the pandemic 😷

postal is helluva a lot faster than SAPO. Power here is even better. I’ve been warned about power failures during snow but it’s not happened yet.

you have access to just about everything you need - government makes it so much easier to apply for a SA licence to be converted to uk (£43) and change of address on licence takes less than a week to issue you a new licence (free).

@Sinbad you better take note of your residency days, I think it’s after 3 months you can apply for your SA licence to be converted to uk licence. If you miss the 12 month deadline, you will be forced to take a driving test to get your driving licence.

Sinbad

I lived here for 5 years before.

Already have a UK license, its in the process of being renewed...

There will definitely be an annual pilgrimage to somewhere sunny every December.