Are you considering leaving SA?

Bryn

I find 22C a degree too cold. 23C is perfect. I wouldn't be happy in Wellington re weather. Maybe you like wearing a jacket/jersey all year round?

Climate is a subjective thing. I'm the sort of person who doesn't enjoy hot days and who gets by perfectly fine when it's cold. I'd be just as happy with Canada's climate as I would with any part of NZ.

If you're into outright warm and hot weather, Australia is a better option.

biometrics

Climate is a subjective thing. I'm the sort of person who doesn't enjoy hot days and who gets by perfectly fine when it's cold. I'd be just as happy with Canada's climate as I would with any part of NZ.

If you're into outright warm and hot weather, Australia is a better option.
Then you are making the right choice. Canada would be very low on my list.

Can't stand the Australian accent.

Düber

This thread reminded me of this story.

The Two Travelers and the Farmer​

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

Bryn

Then you are making the right choice. Canada would be very low on my list.

Can't stand the Australian accent.

I love the Australian accent lol. More so than the NZ one, which feels too close to my own for comfort.

I'd like to get a trip to Amsterdam out the way before deciding between Toronto and Wellington. I know a bunch of fellow devs there and they're always telling me that I'll love living there.

This thread reminded me of this story.

You can repackage that as the phrase:

“Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.”

I have a story about this actually. My dad's very best friend emigrated to Australia not long after they both qualified. The friend had a hot but bitchy wife at the time who moaned about everything, blamed all her problems on black people and pushed her husband hard to emigrate when he didn't even want to.

So they made the move and abandoned all their friends and family here. My dad's friend made new friends, adapted well to life over there, had a successful business in no time, picked up some hobbies and got on with life. The wife kept up all the bitching and moaning, always finding new things to complain about. Eventually she demanded they pack up again and head back to SA. He told her to go by herself, divorced her and remarried within a year.

So yeah, you shouldn't move for the wrong reasons.

LD50

I like potholes the same as I like campin
fuck the world
I love efrika
It's like the `best condiment

Dave

I find 22C a degree too cold. 23C is perfect. I wouldn't be happy in Wellington re weather. Maybe you like wearing a jacket/jersey all year round?

I still suspect different countries measure temperature differently, anything over 18°C is hot to me, and would mean shirt only weather. My central heating at home is set for 16.5°C. I wear a fleece down to around 8°C and a jacket only if it’s colder than that.

22°C mean car aircon and fans at home become a necessity.

SauRoN

Have never been inclined to go anywhere else and actively pursue it.

Opportunity would need to be presented to me on a platter before I start thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sinbad

I still suspect different countries measure temperature differently, anything over 18°C is hot to me, and would mean shirt only weather. My central heating at home is set for 16.5°C. I wear a fleece down to around 8°C and a jacket only if it’s colder than that.

22°C mean car aircon and fans at home become a necessity.
Summer is on its way
d2a7f9a5535e89fdd957cca8cb76bb68.jpg

spiderz

... and then youget a place like Upington, where the day night temp differs by 10-20 deg,
-5 in the winters, and 45+ in the summer in the shade.