Electric Vehicles (EV)

biometrics

Yeah so you’ll want to consider that very seriously if you think you’ll be charging a car for free and keeping the house going.

The only way around that would be to buy the car with the biggest battery then so you can charge it during sunshine over a week because over a single day it’s not happening and at night it’s not happening because not enough battery.

The Mini will definitely not work if that was your plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I work from home. Go for a pint by the beach daily. I might go to the city once a week. Maybe further like Stellenbosch once a month. So the Mini is actually perfect for my use case. I'm keeping the Hyundai i10 for longer trips which hardly ever happens.

SauRoN

I work from home. Go for a pint by the beach daily. I might go to the city once a week. Maybe further like Stellenbosch once a month. So the Mini is actually perfect for my use case. I'm keeping the Hyundai i10 for longer trips which hardly ever happens.

So consider this. If you do Melkbos to Stellenbosch in the Mini it will need to be fully charged and you’ll need to make no detours to get there and back.

Yes, it’s that bad.

Now it has a 32.6 kWh battery.

I have a 6.3 kWp array on my roof in perfect north facing conditions and I made 27-29 kWh on a good day so that’s the car not even fully charged.

Then that means nothing left for my house and nothing left for batteries so using Eskom at night then which defeats the purpose.

If I spend another 150k or so cool I’ve got the batteries in the house to charge the car from…might as well spend it on the car then instead.

If I doodle up the array by adding East and West and totalling 10-ish kWp I have half a chance to make some magic happen for a couple of hours a day.

But then it rains and oh shit suddenly I make 3 kWh total. Oh crap it’s raining for a few days now the car is dead and I need Eskom again.

Nope, spend as much as you can getting the biggest range car you can then you can actually start working around these issue over multiple days.

It can charge off the excess load during daylight only and your house is left untouched.

Keep the i10 until we get more options.

Put the biggest array you can possibly fit onto the roof in every direction but South. Plan for more batteries down the line.

biometrics

So consider this. If you do Melkbos to Stellenbosch in the Mini it will need to be fully charged and you’ll need to make no detours to get there and back.

Yes, it’s that bad.

Now it has a 32.6 kWh battery.

I have a 6.3 kWp array on my roof in perfect north facing conditions and I made 27-29 kWh on a good day so that’s the car not even fully charged.

Then that means nothing left for my house and nothing left for batteries so using Eskom at night then which defeats the purpose.

If I spend another 150k or so cool I’ve got the batteries in the house to charge the car from…might as well spend it on the car then instead.

If I doodle up the array by adding East and West and totalling 10-ish kWp I have half a chance to make some magic happen for a couple of hours a day.

But then it rains and oh shit suddenly I make 3 kWh total. Oh crap it’s raining for a few days now the car is dead and I need Eskom again.

Nope, spend as much as you can getting the biggest range car you can then you can actually start working around these issue over multiple days.

It can charge off the excess load during daylight only and your house is left untouched.

Keep the i10 until we get more options.

Put the biggest array you can possibly fit onto the roof in every direction but South. Plan for more batteries down the line.

I generally drive short distances. I'd need a few kWh a day to top up. A Stellenbosch trip would take a day to charge at 2.3 kW, fine by me. And if I had to charge from the grid it's still a tiny fraction of petrol costs.

SauRoN

I generally drive short distances. I'd need a few kWh a day to top up. A Stellenbosch trip would take a day to charge at 2.3 kW, fine by me. And if I had to charge from the grid it's still a tiny fraction of petrol costs.

Fair enough, just making sure you temper expectations.

Solar is great, but generation does go up and down massively hence the need for more capacity than one might think.

biometrics

Fair enough, just making sure you temper expectations.

Solar is great, but generation does go up and down massively hence the need for more capacity than one might think.

Will rather overspec the system. We’re two people but thinking of going 8kW invertor rather than 5kW with matching battery and panels.

I should probably rather get the BMW i3 with it’s 300km range, just not a fan of the look, but it’s growing on me. They are similarly priced. What I really want is the Hyundai Ioniq 5 but who knows how many years before we get it here. That’s around 400km range without the long range battery.

SauRoN

Will rather overspec the system. We’re two people but thinking of going 8kW invertor rather than 5kW with matching battery and panels.

I should probably rather get the BMW i3 with it’s 300km range, just not a fan of the look, but it’s growing on me. They are similarly priced. What I really want is the Hyundai Ioniq 5 but who knows how many years before we get it here. That’s around 400km range without the long range battery.

I would get the i3 too over the Mini even though it’s an older car now. Love the suicide doors as impractical as they are.

And yes definitely 8kW. My entire house is on a Sunsynk 8.8kW. No essentials and non-essentials bullshit.

I have 5 x 450W panels on one section of North facing roof and another 9 on the other section and already looking at splitting it out to an even 5 across 2 x North and 1 x East, 1 x West to give me more cover through the day.

Only other thing I would change is likely instead of doing 3 x 4.8 kWH Dyness batteries due to upgrade path and budget constraints at the time, I would have gone for 2 x 10kWh Dyness Powerboxes instead which are a bit sexier and more enclosed.

I have a very good installer when you come closer to pulling the trigger.

But yes I want the Kia EV6 again or that new Nissan.

Keen to see what the iX1 lands at, should be very soon.

It’s replacing the i3, which is why I wouldn’t buy one now unless a very solid second hand deal.

Also all BMW’s charge for free at their dealerships. So makes those visits to Century City or the Waterfront a lot more bearable.

biometrics

I would get the i3 too over the Mini even though it’s an older car now. Love the suicide doors as impractical as they are.

And yes definitely 8kW. My entire house is on a Sunsynk 8.8kW. No essentials and non-essentials bullshit.

I have 5 x 450W panels on one section of North facing roof and another 9 on the other section and already looking at splitting it out to an even 5 across 2 x North and 1 x East, 1 x West to give me more cover through the day.

Only other thing I would change is likely instead of doing 3 x 4.8 kWH Dyness batteries due to upgrade path and budget constraints at the time, I would have gone for 2 x 10kWh Dyness Powerboxes instead which are a bit sexier and more enclosed.

I have a very good installer when you come closer to pulling the trigger.

But yes I want the Kia EV6 again or that new Nissan.

Keen to see what the iX1 lands at, should be very soon.

It’s replacing the i3, which is why I wouldn’t buy one now unless a very solid second hand deal.

Also all BMW’s charge for free at their dealerships. So makes those visits to Century City or the Waterfront a lot more bearable.

I asked Steve from Powerforum Sales for a recommendation and he referred me to Ricardo Visagie of RV Solar Solution.

The iX1 will problably be more than R1m, too rich for me.

satanboy

1657364237489.png
BMW iX1 xDrive30*: Power consumption: 18.4 - 17.3* kWh/100 km. Combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km. Electric range: 413 - 438* in km. All data according to WLTP (*preliminary data). Further info: www.bmw.com/disclaimer

satanboy

Too rich for me. Think about R750k is my max. Just can't justify more than that.
IMHO the price difference between an electric vehicle and its petrol counterpart is too huge compared to the fuel-saving (at this time).

My Mini has a GREEN mode that I can engage. It saves fuel, but it loses its nippiness.

Last edited:

biometrics

IMHO the price difference between an electric vehicle and its petrol counterpart is too huge compared to the fuel-saving (at this time).

My Mini has a GREEN mode that I can engage. It saves fuel, but it loses its nippiness.
I want to get off my dependence of state provided electricity and fuel. There may be a premium this early in the game. Already supply my own medical and security, so more steps towards independence.

Johnatan56

What is the base model price of the Ionic 5 by you? Seems to be just above $40k in the US.
Didn't see, 40k before tax breaks, with probably around 30-35.

You'll see a lot more electric cars in south Africa by probably end of year, beginning next, supply shortage is slowly sorting itself out.

biometrics

Didn't see, 40k before tax breaks, with probably around 30-35.

You'll see a lot more electric cars in south Africa by probably end of year, beginning next, supply shortage is slowly sorting itself out.
Do you info on these releases or an educated guess? I'm prepared to wait a bit if I know what's coming for sure, can pre-order so long...

SauRoN

Too rich for me. Think about R750k is my max. Just can't justify more than that.

If we can just get the stupid taxes scrapped they could all be 750k or less.

It’s literally an SA problem, not an electric one.

Johnatan56