Electric Vehicles (EV)

biometrics

Currently the only "affordable" EVs in SA is the BMW i3 and the Mini SE electric. The BMW is about R100k more and has a 100km range more than the Mini. Range anxiety is a thing but the Mini looks better to me.

@satanboy, as someone that has/have recently owned both brands... Would you buy them again, did it retain value when you traded in, are they reliable, is after sales support good?

satanboy

Currently the only "affordable" EVs in SA is the BMW i3 and the Mini SE electric. The BMW is about R100k more and has a 100km range more than the Mini. Range anxiety is a thing but the Mini looks better to me.

@satanboy, as someone that has/have recently owned both brands... Would you buy them again, did it retain value when you traded in, are they reliable, is after sales support good?
Yes
Yes
Yes

The only BMW dealership I avoid is Tyger Valley (although a friend of mine is happy with them).

Johnatan56

The selection is just currently garbage, if you can, keep holding onto your car.

Fun fact, the only good electric car you can buy here without waiting for 9-12 months is the Hyundai Ioniq, and I would consider it one of the best price/features at the moment.

I'm tempted to put an order in for the Polestar 2, 5 month wait supposedly (but others say one year), but don't know if I need until end of year, but by then I need a car, lol.

These are the current wait times:
EDIT: Found June:
1656774148494.png

For cars that hit ~3 months, you'll start seeing them consider shipping to South Africa.

Based on AMD/Nvidia cutting back TSMC, etc., I'd expect that it means slight easing on supply shortage, we'll see what actually happens, but overall, current gen electric cars in South Africa are not worth it, the ones released this year are substantially better, and the ones still coming are also better. It's like pentium days vs launch of the i7 950 or something, as in quite a nice jump, and I'd expect a sandy bridge like release within a year or two.

Last edited:

biometrics

The selection is just currently garbage, if you can, keep holding onto your car.

Fun fact, the only good electric car you can buy here without waiting for 9-12 months is the Hyundai Ioniq, and I would consider it one of the best price/features at the moment.

I'm tempted to put an order in for the Polestar 2, 5 month wait supposedly (but others say one year), but don't know if I need until end of year, but by then I need a car, lol.

View attachment 33403

For cars that hit ~3 months, you'll start seeing them consider shipping to South Africa.

Based on AMD/Nvidia cutting back TSMC, etc., I'd expect that it means slight easing on supply shortage, we'll see what actually happens, but overall, current gen electric cars in South Africa are not worth it, the ones released this year are substantially better, and the ones still coming are also better. It's like pentium days vs launch of the i7 950 or something, as in quite a nice jump, and I'd expect a sandy bridge like release within a year or two.
What I really want is the Hyundai Ionic 5 but probably a few years before it's available here. I'm thinking of getting the Mini so long and trading for the Ionic 5 when it launches. Oh and free electricity from September...

I sold my FJ Cruiser in Feb after ten years and got 91% back. Now driving my housemate's Hyundai i10. Nice little car and cheap to run.

Johnatan56

What I really want is the Hyundai Ionic 5 but probably a few years before it's available here. I'm thinking of getting the Mini so long and trading for the Ionic 5 when it launches. Oh and free electricity from September...

I sold my FJ Cruiser in Feb after ten years and got 91% back. Now driving my housemate's Hyundai i10. Nice little car and cheap to run.
I meant the 5, sorry, forget that both models are for sale. That must mess a lot of people up.

Not sure with the mini's range, just thinking about longer term battery degradation, would probably hurt resale.

satanboy

Mini SE: the official claim is 215 km, but the actual usable range is more in the region of 165-185km – as ever, it depends on your driving style.

I think I will wait until that improves

SauRoN

Buying the soon to be replaced i3 now is a silly idea unless it’s second hand with loads of battery warranty left.

The iX1 is replacing it very soon in SA and likely the one to get.

Hopeful we see something from Hyundai/Kia soon and hopefully the new Nissan EV too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SauRoN

View attachment 33403

No Kia EV6?

SauRoN

That Mini is useless in range. Truly useless even for the most city urban driving type person.

What do you mean free electricity from September?

biometrics

That Mini is useless in range. Truly useless even for the most city urban driving type person.

What do you mean free electricity from September?

Installing solar.

SauRoN

Yes
Yes
Yes

The only BMW dealership I avoid is Tyger Valley (although a friend of mine is happy with them).

Yes they are shocking.

SMG Century City all the way.

SauRoN

Installing solar.

Yeah so you’ll want to consider that very seriously if you think you’ll be charging a car for free and keeping the house going.

The only way around that would be to buy the car with the biggest battery then so you can charge it during sunshine over a week because over a single day it’s not happening and at night it’s not happening because not enough battery.

The Mini will definitely not work if that was your plan.