ZAR:USD Exchange Rate

spiderz

:) I should have hinted a bit stronger at sarcasm.
They are going to rattle every source of cash they can, we are just not sure how hard they are going to shake.
WHAT!
There's money they have'nt stolen yet!

Tribs

No, this time they have to, as they need the money for the election.
They cannot afford to lose the learned people - as those are the future money and are leaning in the direction of the DA
I could be way off - but this is what Twitter shows me

Johnatan56

They cannot afford to lose the learned people - as those are the future money and are leaning in the direction of the DA
I could be way off - but this is what Twitter shows me
They can definitely afford to lose learned people, that's not their voter base.

There are enough "learned" people that cannot leave, and they are not an organization that cares about long term profits.

biometrics

USD:ZAR going to go through 16 today... guessing they are betting on a Biden win...

1604402145273.png

Düber

Excuse my naivety, don't follow US politics much, why would a Biden win weaken the Dollar?

Johnatan56

Excuse my naivety, don't follow US politics much, why would a Biden win weaken the Dollar?
Many market participants believe that a victory by Joe Biden - currently the front-runner in polls - and a potential Democratic sweep would likely weigh on the U.S. currency further, as the former vice president is expected to open the door to policies that investors view as dollar-negative, including robust fiscal stimulus.

Four more years of a Donald Trump presidency may offer a less-clear path for the dollar. Although a continuation of Trump’s belligerent approach toward China would likely boost the dollar’s allure as a haven asset, those gains may be outweighed by factors such as continued negative U.S. real yields, analysts said.

Would be short term until the actual policies are declared as it's currently uncertain exactly what stimulus he will declare. I'm also wondering what he's going to do in regards to New York, a lot of the capital in the economy comes from overvalued properties there, if they get cut down in value it will cause an even worse depression. That bubble had to burst eventually though.

(Note it's a good thing for the US if it gets weaker, will make manufacturing in the US a bit more competitive, so stimulus will have a bigger effect)

biometrics

Johnatan56

1606406561896.png
1606406586479.png
1606406683707.png
EUR weakness is due to the lockdowns, USD one due to Biden going to do stimulus plan and ending trade war (which is good for South Africa).

The percentage interest and current account are not really reasons, more them trying to write a full article. Rand is doing well because those currencies are weakening, if South Africa decides to go into lock down again, rand will collapse.

biometrics

View attachment 9056
View attachment 9057
View attachment 9058
EUR weakness is due to the lockdowns, USD one due to Biden going to do stimulus plan and ending trade war (which is good for South Africa).

The percentage interest and current account are not really reasons, more them trying to write a full article. Rand is doing well because those currencies are weakening, if South Africa decides to go into lock down again, rand will collapse.
We won't do a national lockdown again, perhaps regional like PE, but still it won't he a full lockdown more likely a longer curfew etc.

And I'll take the R:$ improvement from wherever it comes, I don't care.

R11:$1 by 2022.