What could have caused this damage?

scudsucker

Wife's Golf 5. Appeared in the last two days.

Left middle of the side of the bonnet. An obvious scratch on the bonnet (right of 1st pic), and then.. something ate through the paint (left side of 1st pic)? Especially on the bodywork, rather than the bonnet with the scratch. Random splatter around the left front side indicates some liquid.

Any ideas?
20210521_163727.jpg20210521_163734.jpg

Last edited:

scudsucker

Why the "splatter" pattern of similar paint loss (admittedly a poor photo) across the whole front left panel but that appeared at the same time?

biometrics

Why the "splatter" pattern of similar paint loss (admittedly a poor photo) across the whole front left panel but that appeared at the same time?
No fucking idea. I'm just thinking it was developing but it was kept in place by vacuum until it was breached.

Lara

It's as if an acid of some sort were spilt on it. :eek:

scudsucker

Battery acid while in attempted theft? It is nearby the battery compartment.

That would explain the scratch damage with no "splatter" on one side, then splatter on the other. But the battery is still in place (I have not actually looked, but the car starts and I drove it today)

biometrics

Btw, why is the bonnet side so badly scratched? Rent a bergie at P&P parking?

Lara

Battery acid while in attempted theft? It is nearby the battery compartment.

That would explain the scratch damage with no "splatter" on one side, then splatter on the other. But the battery is still in place (I have not actually looked, but the car starts and I drove it today)
I was thinking someone put something on the bonnet that leaked. ;)

scudsucker

I was thinking someone put something on the bonnet that leaked. ;)
Doesn't explain the scratch unless the container that leaked also caused the scratch, and it looks too deep for that.

scudsucker

That is new. The dog can't make a scratch through to bare metal. She's hardcore but not that hardcore.

Some of the lighter scratches are hers ( I think)

Screenshot_20210521-184356_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Lara

Doesn't explain the scratch unless the container that leaked also caused the scratch, and it looks too deep for that.
The acid softened the paint and when the container was removed it scratched it. ;)

scudsucker

The acid softened the paint and when the container was removed it scratched it. ;)
At that part of a bonnet a container heavy enough to make a scratch when moved would be unbalanced, and if it was a corrosive, a damn stupid place to put it.

It is a feasible suggestion but why use a random car bonnet to support a heavy container of corrosive liquid?

Why also only corrosive damage to the left front panel, and a deep scratch to the left side of the bonnet, without evidence of the corrosive on the bonnet? And why the splash patterns?