What could have caused this damage?

Lara

At that part of a bonnet a container heavy enough to make a scratch when moved would be unbalanced, and if it was a corrosive, a damn stupid place to put it.

It is a feasible suggestion but why use a random car bonnet to support a heavy container of corrosive liquid?
When you leave your car in a parking lot it is open season for careless people. :(

Düber

It looks like chemical damage or a bad bond between the paint and lower layers to me.
Has it ever had any bodywork done?
If you open the bonnet are there any other clues? Battery, brake fluid etc.

The scratch looks a bit malicious though, I hope someone didn't give the car a thinners wash.

biometrics

The rust may be a confirmation of my breached vacuum loose paint theory. My windscreen recently cracked to unseen rust behind it.

1621624267286.png

Y2K

Wife's Golf 5. Appeared in the last two days.

Left middle of the side of the bonnet. An obvious scratch on the bonnet (right of 1st pic), and then.. something ate through the paint (left side of 1st pic)? Especially on the bodywork, rather than the bonnet with the scratch. Random splatter around the left front side indicates some liquid.

Any ideas?
View attachment 25819View attachment 25820
Brake fluid. That'll do it.

scudsucker

You pissed off any neighbours recently?
Haha.. no. Well I hope not! Strange place to key a car.

Looking at the paint more closely it does look like it is bubbling around some of the splash area, so I reckon it is a poor paint job. She had a dent fixed & that panel resprayed in September last year, so there should be a guarantee on it.

scudsucker

Perhaps, without actual evidence we'll never know :(
I think that something (who knows what?) scratched the bonnet and the panel, and the panel had a poor paint job. Anyway, she will take it back and see if it can be fixed.