We love cats!

sand_man

Feline family suddenly got a little bigger....

6u20blr.jpg

ScTUQzy.jpg

sand_man

I've gone from never having a cat as a pet to having 3... unchartered waters for me... there a few things I'm finding challenging...

1.) Cat litter - we have 2 closed Cat litter boxes. The smell can be pretty repugnant so my question is what cat litter do you recommend? How do you discard and/or clean the cat litter? And how regularly? I know cats can use the garden like other pets, but my yard is not only tiny but I have a dog that enjoys snacking on cat turds!!!

2.) Grooming - I tried giving my one kitten a quick bath after he knocked over an open bottle of surgical spirits and got it all over his paws and face. It didn't end well. The cats are getting grimy but they spend an enormous amount of the day self grooming and they've remained relatively clean and odourless!! So impressed with this self cleaning feature. But under what circumstances is grooming necessary? Nails, fur etc The ginger is malting.

3.) Food - currently have them all on Royal canin kitten food, not cheap and they seem to eat a huge amount. I keep their bowls topped up but lately I been actually just filling them up 3 x a day cause they seem to be eating for the sake of it now... had one kitten on wet food but have since discovered this is unnecessary and counter intuitive.

4.) Love of the outdoors - I've never wanted cats due to their nomadic nature and the high risk of losing them FOREVER!! We had initially decided ours would be inside cats but that is proving near impossible. They spend 80% of the day outside, even during last nights thunderstorm, they chose the patio rather than indoors. One has a penchant for travel but to date he doesn't venture all that far and comes when called. All 3 are chipped and neutered. I loath the day all 3 go walkies

5.) Petting and affection - they scrumptious and I want to shower them with pats and kisses 24/7 but they hate the attention. I realize this is another feature. Do I accept it or force myself on them?

6.) They don't always get on - I realize there 3 personalities at play here but they don't always get on and there's often some rough housing with the younger kitten often hissing and/or fleeing for his life. All 3 are males but our first born male is possibly gay and he has an eye for the youngest male... I let them sort it out themselves for the most part but should I be intervening? It doesn't ever get to the stage where there is biting and blood drawn but it gets fairly heated...

Anyway, all feedback appreciated, absolutely loving these little creatures!! But am wary of imposing myself on them...

satanboy

I've gone from never having a cat as a pet to having 3... unchartered waters for me... there a few things I'm finding challenging...
1.) Cat litter - we have 2 closed Cat litter boxes. The smell can be pretty repugnant so my question is what cat litter do you recommend? How do you discard and/or clean the cat litter? And how regularly? I know cats can use the garden like other pets, but my yard is not only tiny but I have a dog that enjoys snacking on cat turds!!!

10 days (1 litter tray per cat)
Dispose of used litter in trash. Soak the litter tray with Domestos and hot water for at least 20 min. If the smell persists use bicarbonate of soda. Cats don't like closed litter trays, try one open one.

2. Grooming - if malting brush regularly otherwise they will ingest the fur and it could cause blockage in the intestine. You can use treats as reward if they dont like it mine love Whiskas Dentabytes. If you feel bathing is necessary you have to do it regularly from when they are small so they get used to it.

3. Love of the outdoors - if they stay in the yard okay but mine are indoors with supervised outdoor visits

4. Petting - they prefer scratches under the chin not hugs lol. Watch out for belly rubs it could be a trap! ;)

Last edited:

biometrics

2.) Grooming - I tried giving my one kitten a quick bath after he knocked over an open bottle of surgical spirits and got it all over his paws and face. It didn't end well. The cats are getting grimy but they spend an enormous amount of the day self grooming and they've remained relatively clean and odourless!! So impressed with this self cleaning feature. But under what circumstances is grooming necessary? Nails, fur etc The ginger is malting.

3.) Food - currently have them all on Royal canin kitten food, not cheap and they seem to eat a huge amount. I keep their bowls topped up but lately I been actually just filling them up 3 x a day cause they seem to be eating for the sake of it now... had one kitten on wet food but have since discovered this is unnecessary and counter intuitive.

4.) Love of the outdoors - I've never wanted cats due to their nomadic nature and the high risk of losing them FOREVER!! We had initially decided ours would be inside cats but that is proving near impossible. They spend 80% of the day outside, even during last nights thunderstorm, they chose the patio rather than indoors. One has a penchant for travel but to date he doesn't venture all that far and comes when called. All 3 are chipped and neutered. I loath the day all 3 go walkies

5.) Petting and affection - they scrumptious and I want to shower them with pats and kisses 24/7 but they hate the attention. I realize this is another feature. Do I accept it or force myself on them?

6.) They don't always get on - I realize there 3 personalities at play here but they don't always get on and there's often some rough housing with the younger kitten often hissing and/or fleeing for his life. All 3 are males but our first born male is possibly gay and he has an eye for the youngest male... I let them sort it out themselves for the most part but should I be intervening? It doesn't ever get to the stage where there is biting and blood drawn but it gets fairly heated...

Anyway, all feedback appreciated, absolutely loving these little creatures!! But am wary of imposing myself on them...
1. My cats do it outside.
2. Let them clean themselves. You can use a damp towel to wipe down the dirty ones.
3. Kittens need kitten food for growth. Once they are adults kibbles are more than enough.
4. @satanboy has indoor cats, but I find it near impossible to keep them inside. Let them out if it's safe. In fact get a cat flap so they can come and go as they like. If it's a wood door just use a jigsaw and do it yourself. If a glass window you need to get a glass company to bake a new panel with the hole. Install cat flap in that hole. Lots of choices depending on your need (https://www.takealot.com/all?_sb=1&_r=1&_si=35d0f6bea23fbe39ce58550c4d22437b&qsearch=cat flap). An electic fence is a must, cats can smell it and avoid going under/through/over it. Best to get an fence with the bottom three wires close to each other. Also make sure your property is cat proof. If there is any escape route, block it off. Garden netting can be very useful.
5. If they are new they need time to adjust. Some will like attention right away and some you need to give space. Let them get used to you and they'll come to you eventually.
6. They are a pack now, so they need to figure out who is the alpha. Let them sort it out. If it's an ugly fight break them up.

biometrics

We moved here about two months ago. After two weeks we let them out unsupervised. Within a week they discovered access to the ceiling through a small opening from the roof. Whenever they got a fright or there were workers they'd go up there to hide.

Since yesterday the girl has decided she likes it up there a lot, she's now abandoned the luxury downstairs and stays there most of the day.

Fuck this, going to close up the hole with bricks.

Jings

Li Shou's mother is a stray from a colony on the work premises. Adopted her at eight weeks and she's already got her own little personality. Loves playing mobile games for cats and is very affectionate.

lishou.jpg

Düber

Idi died today.

On Thursday we noticed something was up with him but then Friday he was eating and drinking water again and although not his normal self was up and about.
Saturday he went out on his normal morning hunt and walk around the fields and then just slept for the rest of the day but not eating or drinking again.
Through the night he just got worse and worse.

This morning we waited outside the vet for them to open but it was too late. The vet thinks his kidneys packed up.

1671382240424.png
There is an empty spot on the couch next to me.
RIP Idi Amin. 2006-2022.

Jings

Idi died today.

On Thursday we noticed something was up with him but then Friday he was eating and drinking water again and although not his normal self was up and about.
Saturday he went out on his normal morning hunt and walk around the fields and then just slept for the rest of the day but not eating or drinking again.
Through the night he just got worse and worse.

This morning we waited outside the vet for them to open but it was too late. The vet thinks his kidneys packed up.

View attachment 35012
There is an empty spot on the couch next to me.
RIP Idi Amin. 2006-2022.
Sorry to hear about Idi. Such a beautiful cat.

scudsucker

Sorry to hear that @Düber

Congratulations, however on his name.

My cat, St. George, died a few years back after an infected tooth eventually spread to his jaw and broke it. He couldn't eat. He was about 16, which I guess is good for a cat.

He was a total areshole of a cat but I loved him.

Actually I loved the arsehole part more. He was a real hardcore bastard. I loved him.