Threadkiller

biometrics

All miles.
Fuel is dispensed in litres though. As are most other liquids except draught beer which comes in pints.
Luckily a pint is nearly 500ml, so we call a 500ml beer a pint here. Weird.

Edit: now that I think about it I never refer to a pint when ordering a beer here. So must be in my mind.

Sinbad

Pint is 570ml.

So, an odd hangover of that, is that a 2l milk doesn't exist. It used to be 4 pints, so now it's metric-ulated it's the same size container as before but 2.27l.
1626634379686.png
That being said, some manufacturers are switching to properly metric sizes.

2 pints make a quart, 4 quarts make a gallon.

biometrics

Pint is 570ml.

So, an odd hangover of that, is that a 2l milk doesn't exist. It used to be 4 pints, so now it's metric-ulated it's the same size container as before but 2.27l.
View attachment 27377
That being said, some manufacturers are switching to properly metric sizes.

2 pints make a quart, 4 quarts make a gallon.
Fokkin lol, had to change the google converter to "Imperial" to get 568ml. Jirre.

Jings

Depends on the shop and manufacturer, a lot of milk is now in 1l, 2l and even 3l containers.

It’s mostly the supermarket own brand milk still in pints and even then it’s still legally sold in metric (2.2xx litre bottle for example).
Why the confusion with both pint and litres?

Spizz

Why the confusion with both pint and litres?

It's the slow change from Imperial to metric which they started implementing in the 70s. Then joining Europe forced it on a bit and now it's nearly complete as the older generation die off and the youngsters who grow up with both or just metric are taking over.

So some things like milk often show both measures and for example cars all have mph and kph on the speedo. Road sign all in miles though, always will be I guess.

Last edited:

Jings

It's the slow change from Imperial to metric which they started implementing in the 70s. Then joining Europe forced it on a bit and now it's nearly complete as the older generation die off and the youngsters who grow up with both or just metric are taking over.

So some things like milk often show both measures and for example cars all have mph and kph on the speedo. Road sign all in miles though, always will be I guess.
Miles to kilometers would pose a problem. "I would walk 500 kilometers..." does not flow rhythmically. Not even mentioning the idioms.