Threadkiller

biometrics

Thought just crossed my mind again for some reason. I have no doubt our government would do their best to cut the internet should the opportunity arise.

Would be good just to have something to be able to connect to the rest of the world.
Don't they use local base stations, so they wouldn't work either?

Arzy

Don't they use local base stations, so they wouldn't work either?
No, I'm referring to an actual satellite. My folks had one on their farm yonks ago, latency was shit but you had good bandwidth. The tracert didn't touch anything in SA.

biometrics

No, I'm referring to an actual satellite. My folks had one on their farm yonks ago, latency was shit but you had good bandwidth. The tracert didn't touch anything in SA.
My point is the data must come down somewhere, so obviously get a provider that doesn't have it in SA.

Dave

My point is the data must come down somewhere, so obviously get a provider that doesn't have it in SA.

The satphone companies like Inmarsat have land stations in a number of countries, but I don’t think they use SA. Inmarsat itself is headquartered in the UK, as is the main control infrastructure.

here’s a list of some of the Inmarsat base stations

biometrics

The satphone companies like Inmarsat have land stations in a number of countries, but I don’t think they use SA. Inmarsat itself is headquartered in the UK, as is the main control infrastructure.

here’s a list of some of the Inmarsat base stations

They need to be within a certain coverage area, not so? Or do they communicate between satellites as well?

Seldom Bucket

makinmelol.jpg