Threadkiller

BloodrayneZA

Understand that you'll never see colour on deep-space objects with your eyes. Grey-scale only.

The colour images you see are multiple photos that have been stacked, so you need an equatorial mount. A good one.

Costs rack up quickly.
Really? I always see colours with my own eyes so why shouldn’t it show up on photos as I see it? I’ve seen blinking orange, yellow and blue stars

Sinbad

Really? I always see colours with my own eyes so why shouldn’t it show up on photos as I see it? I’ve seen blinking orange, yellow and blue stars
DSOs generally are not brightly coloured. The colours are added/enhanced in post-processing.

dabean

Stars are fine, I mean really far off stuff like nebulas and galaxies.

Let's say you've targeted Messier 87 (M87), an enormous elliptical galaxy in the springtime evening sky 55 million light-years away. At the eyepiece you'll see a small, shapeless, very dim gray smudge floating among a few pinpoint stars. While finding it should bring a thrill of accomplishment, many novices are let down by the sight. "Is that all there is ... to galaxies? It's nothing like the pictures in the books!" You've just come up against the fact that the human eye does not work well in the dark. It cannot perform anywhere near as well as a camera does at very low light levels. We are daytime animals who evolved under a blazing sun; our eyes are not built for observing the distant night universe. Your eye's view of a galaxy will never match the spectacular photos in books and magazines.

biometrics

DSOs generally are not brightly coloured. The colours are added/enhanced in post-processing.

This seems like the way to go. So about R40k to get started?

dabean

@biometrics The software I posted a screenshot of last night is called Stellarium btw.

You can set up scopes and eyepieces to get a good idea of what to expect.

satanboy

@biometrics The software I posted a screenshot of last night is called Stellarium btw.

You can set up scopes and eyepieces to get a good idea of what to expect.
Awesome website!