The Hortus Cultura thread

Urist

Just be careful with the ph up and down, use literally a drop and test again. Also, dont let it mess, it will eat through paint and cement.

Are you going to plant catnip in those pots or what is the reason for your purchase?

End goal is a vertical in-house garden of sorts. To make my own fresh produce, a pillar for tobacco and maybe one or two cannabis plants. Everything I plant dies, want to do it right this time. Oh, and a catnip pillar for my cats. and chillies!

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

End goal is a vertical in-house garden of sorts. To make my own fresh produce, a pillar for tobacco and maybe one or two cannabis plants. Everything I plant dies, want to do it right this time. Oh, and a catnip pillar for my cats. and chillies!
The growing medium plays a vital role when growing as some type of plants, trees or herbs prefer more acidic soil but the same soil will kill something like a cannabis plant (I refer to cannabis as Im not sure which plants etc prefer which type of soil.

I added some kak soil to some of my cannabis plants and they were fucked. If you do not want to buy soil such as freedom farms etc perhaps look at Reliance soil with some perlite and go from there.

Freedom farms and similar types of soil contain many micro and macro nutrients already mixed into the soil.

Urist

The growing medium plays a vital role when growing as some type of plants, trees or herbs prefer more acidic soil but the same soil will kill something like a cannabis plant (I refer to cannabis as Im not sure which plants etc prefer which type of soil.

I added some kak soil to some of my cannabis plants and they were fucked. If you do not want to buy soil such as freedom farms etc perhaps look at Reliance soil with some perlite and go from there.

Freedom farms and similar types of soil contain many micro and macro nutrients already mixed into the soil.
Sounds complicated, will start off with a homogeneous catnip tower and one for a mixture of garden herbs. So when I fuck up it will not be too much damage. Busy printing the 2nd module.
Got this ugly stoep room in my house, a winter-sun facing room with a huge window. It used to be a stoep and was then converted to a room, it just hit me earlier this week that the room could be an awesome conservatory when we talked about horticulture in the cannabis thread. Pretty excited.
Have to go aero or hydroponics because my cats keep "fertilizing" in the pots when I use soil.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Sounds complicated, will start off with a homogeneous catnip tower and one for a mixture of garden herbs. So when I fuck up it will not be too much damage. Busy printing the 2nd module.
Got this ugly stoep room in my house, a winter-sun facing room with a huge window. It used to be a stoep and was then converted to a room, it just hit me earlier this week that the room could be an awesome conservatory when we talked about horticulture in the cannabis thread. Pretty excited.
Have to go aero or hydroponics because my cats keep "fertilizing" in the pots when I use soil.
That would be an awesome grow room holy shit Im jealous. But seriously, growing and the soil etc is very easy and is still relevant to other herbs, vegetables, roses, fruits etc etc.

I actually like doing gardening work, keeps me calm and non violent.

Y2K

So I tested the pH, both pots came back with 5.0 which is sad af. I'll have to get some pH up, down and calibration solution.

The_Mowgs

Outdoor (move indoor when very cold maybe). I may make one or two bonsai....that is if I can get any to grow. lol
My wife is going to do one similar to this.
ed3d9331057d9f645c94fb5758e34d07.jpg

The_Mowgs

For the ladies / gents that want to start growing cannabis in winter have a look here. Please note I have no affiliation with these stores or people. If you can find something better for cheaper it would be best.

These are just some products to get you going. The pot and soil can be used again after your first grow should you wish but amendments should be added to the soil again before the next grow.

The seeds are autos which basically means it will just do its own thing. It will grow, switch to flower and die all by itself. Now you get autos and then you get autos from a seed bank called fast buds autos.

Some if these seeds go from sprout to harvest in 8 weeks and you have to only give it water, food, one haircut when its alive and one just before it dies or just after, your preference.

The seeds are a bit on the expensive side but its an easy place to start with smokable bud in 9 weeks max.

Theres also normal auto seeds which takes a bit longer but again its your own preference.

You would need;

Seeds.

Pots on special

Soil

Nutrients I won't link as there are organic, salt based etc etc and Im not getting into a vegan or sustainability debate but you can basically go to Builders and get seagrow for your first grow but there are MANY types out there.

The autos don't need the same sunlight hours or temperatures like normal photoperiod. They were made specifically for colder regiosn receiving very little sunlight.

This one plant in a 40L pot should give you a nice amount of bud.

biometrics

I'm giving up on my outdoor veggie garden and moving into the greenhouse. Pests I've had the past 9 months:

Ants farming white aphids
Fungus
Spider mites
Caterpillars
Snails
Grasshoppers

biometrics

I have this little greenhouse and need to put in shelves. These guys sell these shelves for this insane amount (R2,100 for one side!). Just looks like PVC piping. What cheap shelving ideas do you have?

1591130349752.png

The_Mowgs

I have this little greenhouse and need to put in shelves. These guys sell these shelves for this insane amount (R2,100 for one side!). Just looks like PVC piping. What cheap shelving ideas do you have?

View attachment 2938
Aside from the shelving, what insecticide did you try? Have you heard of Margaret Roberts insecticide? Then there's also Broadband which you can use as well as companion plants.

I can unfortunately not help with the shelving as for some reason, shelves are the most expensive thing on earth.

Reactions: Y2K

satanboy

Use pallets and turn them into stands etc
Maybe use tarred poles as the legs?

or
create raised beds with cement bricks
1591206994841.png

Last edited: