The Chat Room

Johnatan56

How long does an LTE router usually last? I've been wondering how much longer mine will be useful.
Probably years, my aunt still has a 3G modem that was in use until last year from ~2013, just kept router/WiFi separate so could take advantage of 802.11n's better range/5GHz support. I do the same thing since cable provider's router is utter garbage, so have it in bridge (modem only) mode and have a cheapish router plugged in (Tenda AC8, 30 EUR, has 802.11ac support at 1200Mbps, getting 650Mbps to my devices which is enough to stream stable VR and copy to my steam deck at ~60MB/s over the network (SD card cap), net is ~30MB/s so WiFi is not a bottleneck, and it's handling ~15 IoT devices, 3 ethernet connected PC/NUCs, and 3 laptops on WiFi, two near permanent remote desktop stably).
@BloodrayneZA
Hello there. Good to see that you are still alive. How are you faring?
Seems like they're a cow happily munching in a field. :p

Nicholas

Probably years, my aunt still has a 3G modem that was in use until last year from ~2013, just kept router/WiFi separate so could take advantage of 802.11n's better range/5GHz support. I do the same thing since cable provider's router is utter garbage, so have it in bridge (modem only) mode and have a cheapish router plugged in (Tenda AC8, 30 EUR, has 802.11ac support at 1200Mbps, getting 650Mbps to my devices which is enough to stream stable VR and copy to my steam deck at ~60MB/s over the network (SD card cap), net is ~30MB/s so WiFi is not a bottleneck, and it's handling ~15 IoT devices, 3 ethernet connected PC/NUCs, and 3 laptops on WiFi, two near permanent remote desktop stably).

Seems like they're a cow happily munching in a field. :p
I hope so.

My monitor is doing well. It's a pre-LED model.

Is all of that your hardware? [I mean the NUCs, laptops, and IoT gizmos.]
When did you buy a Steam Deck? What do you think of it?

Nicholas

1665499061157.png

:eek:

Must not catastrophise.

They want all EL staff at the office at 14H30 on Friday for a "company news" meeting. Outside of my working hours.

Last edited:

satanboy

Phone rings: 0210204428
"This is an important consumer announcement...click"
Three fucking calls from 07h30 with zero content.
WTF??

Nicholas

18 hours without power, stupid wind.

*points fisticuffs at sky and Zeus promptly responds.

Today is the 12th - Wednesday. Are you going in or joining Teams?
Going in. I don't have an uncapped internet connection. Also, staff living in East London are obliged to go into our offices.
I COULD make a fuss about using my personal internet connection to do ELCB's work. :p

biometrics

Phone rings: 0210204428
"This is an important consumer announcement...click"
Three fucking calls from 07h30 with zero content.
WTF??
I am on the DMASA do not call list and get those. Must have blocked ten of their numbers by now. Never actually listened past that intro.

Johnatan56

Is all of that your hardware? [I mean the NUCs, laptops, and IoT gizmos.]
Well, besides the one laptop, yeah, happened over time.
Started off with a laptop, was doing contract work, and the Databases I needed were near the TB mark, so got a NUC so I could host a server on it (ethernet connected, it has WiFi and BT).
Laptop was annoying me a bit as couldn't get stable frame rates in GoW and fan is loud, so I built a PC.
Work gave me a laptop, and then another as an upgrade, still need to hand the old one back, so at 3 laptops.
And then a raspberry pi (idea was messing with home automation, still haven't gotten around to it)
The IoT devices are all light bulbs and a couple of smart switches, busy swapping all the bulbs to IKEA smart bulbs since they are not too bad in pricing for smart bulbs (19 EUR, cheap smart bulbs are 12 EUR) with Zigbee support and next month IKEA releases their new gateway with Matter support (Matter is the "new" "unified" "open" smart home standard, Google, Amazon, Apple, etc. are all saying they will support it, and Matter is application layer (IP Based) so works on WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Zigbee and Thread, with Thread being the new one which is a low powered WiFi alternative).
Should also add that I'm running a Quest 2 via wireless desktop streaming as well, net needs to be very stable there, else you'd become ill.
When did you buy a Steam Deck? What do you think of it?
A couple of days ago, interesting device, haven't used it that much yet, its main use will be in a bit over two weeks when I go on holiday as lots of flights, also for train trips. Messing around with it so far, it's a good device, battery life is generally good, was getting a bit over 4 hours on plate up! over WiFi with screen set to around 60%, games like Risk of Rain 2 need getting used to but haptic (the track pad) is way better than a controller for changing view. Still want to install a hack and slash like Hades, but will only get around to it later (special last year was Oct 25th for closest date to this year, we'll see).

Only annoyance is let side I'd have preferred if d pad and the stick were swapped around, would be a lot more comfortable.
Screen is good for a portable device, grip is nice, triggers are great (actually prefer them to my xbox controller), the overlay for performance settings and stuff, being able to have profiles per game is great, and game catalog is actually decent for things I already own, so far the only issue has been certain games forcing me to use the touch screen for navigating menus, but these are "playable" not verified titles.

Still want to mess with Cities Skylines, supposedly runs native, think I'll probs need low and not have the best frame rate, but perfect game for a long flight.

Witcher 3 also runs great, speakers on it are also good, front firing.

If you want a portable handheld, there's nothing in the market right now that really competes at the price class, everything else is way more expensive. A switch is around 300 EUR, steam deck is 420 EUR (well, you'd most probably also get an SSD or SD card upgrade as well), would always save up for the steam deck as titles are for both PC and steam deck and substantially cheaper.

I hear emulation is also great on it.