The Chat Room

Johnatan56

Someone can make it. Our power station was vandalized last night
View attachment 27099
Substation*
Pity fibre optic cables don't carry electrical current, only binary signals.
Fiber optic can carry power, within the next few years you will see PoE (power over ethernet) via FO, it's just that right now it's difficult. Note this is not electricity via fiber, it will be laser, so converting it has pretty high losses right now. Lab stuff is hitting 85% efficiency (way back in 2006), real-world is around 50%, it has to hit over 90%, and then people will start stealing the equipment on both ends instead, so won't really help.

The big problem here is just how poor people are, that it's a worthwhile thing to spend so much effort, that's multiple hours worth of work for like R100 for each person, they should have been able to get it in a day's worth of work from minimum wage if they had a job and since fixed job it would be guaranteed income.

EDIT: Personally think power over fiber will start having breakthroughs in the next 2/3 years and we will see proper commercial starting by 2025 or so, but super expensive and niche, will be for things like in labs where they can't have metal or something, or where copper would have issues conducting due to environment.

Last edited:

Tribs

Can we apply the same chat rules as LPW? we need a chat thread that sets it apart from TK.
We can do that. But I would really not like the timer. Family-friendly and conversational, without the insults - I am all down for.

Jings

Substation*

Fiber optic can carry power, within the next few years you will see PoE (power over ethernet) via FO, it's just that right now it's difficult. Note this is not electricity via fiber, it will be laser, so converting it has pretty high losses right now. Lab stuff is hitting 85% efficiency (way back in 2006), real-world is around 50%, it has to hit over 90%, and then people will start stealing the equipment on both ends instead, so won't really help.

The big problem here is just how poor people are, that it's a worthwhile thing to spend so much effort, that's multiple hours worth of work for like R100 for each person, they should have been able to get it in a day's worth of work from minimum wage if they had a job and since fixed job it would be guaranteed income.

EDIT: Personally think power over fiber will start having breakthroughs in the next 2/3 years and we will see proper commercial starting by 2025 or so, but super expensive and niche, will be for things like in labs where they can't have metal or something, or where copper would have issues conducting due to environment.

Very interesting using lazer for power. Does lazer shock hurt as much as electrical shock?

There are many copper buyers as they melt it down but surely you wouldn't find many fiber installers paying for fiber optic cables from just anyone.

Jings

We can do that. But I would really not like the timer. Family-friendly and conversational, without the insults - I am all down for.
Awesome. Has there been a thread-warming party yet?

Nicholas

Very interesting using lazer for power. Does lazer shock hurt as much as electrical shock?

There are many copper buyers as they melt it down but surely you wouldn't find many fiber installers paying for fiber optic cables from just anyone.
1625746954087.png

I think that the laser might hurt just a bit.