The Chat Room

biometrics

How did it go?
I’ve had many over the years. I can tell you whatever you think how it went, is probably wrong. You just don’t know what is their motivation, what they are thinking and most importantly their financial situation.

Arzy

/mixed emotions

Been struggling with the younger offsprings for a couple of years now, mentioned it on the other place. Had a flare up over the weekend and started the regular round of tests.

On the positive side the results finally indicate something, we aren't imagining things, and it's most likely not cancer.

On the negative it's basically a 90% chance on Crohn's Disease
So after more tests and jabs and consults had the little monster in for more invasive procedures today.

Long and the short of it is it's Crohn's. It isn't a case that the Doc will even considering taking a staged approach on for treatment, simply starting off with the biggest guns available.

Initial treatment will take about 3 months and we'll carryon from there.

biometrics

So after more tests and jabs and consults had the little monster in for more invasive procedures today.

Long and the short of it is it's Crohn's. It isn't a case that the Doc will even considering taking a staged approach on for treatment, simply starting off with the biggest guns available.

That sucks, sorry man.

When you mentioned it recently I did a bit of googling and seems there is a quite a range of the illness (from not too bad to quite bad), where does he fit on the spectrum? What's the prognosis?

Tribs

I’ve had many over the years. I can tell you whatever you think how it went, is probably wrong. You just don’t know what is their motivation, what they are thinking and most importantly their financial situation.
Yes people are very hard to read

Tribs

Really sorry to hear that. It is hard when your kids are ill and there is little you can do to help them. My friend's ex has Chrons and as long as he avoids veggies and fruit he is ok. So I hope your little one will be too.

Arzy

That sucks, sorry man.

When you mentioned it recently I did a bit of googling and seems there is a quite a range of the illness (from not too bad to quite bad), where does he fit on the spectrum? What's the prognosis?

Yeah, it's a wide spectrum and age plays a big role. Adults cope better and can be treated more easily as they don't suffer as badly from the effects of corticosteroids, kids on the other suffer more from the effects of the disease (malnutrition, development, growth, etc.) and then steroids have their own complications.

Typically we do nothing in half-measures and the offspring has a severe case that has developed in a unique way which made it difficult to diagnose. We're talking about 6 years and 20+ doctors in various specialties and it was only diagnosed because of how far it's developed.

As to prognosis, staying with a panel of doctors (GP, Gastroenterologist, Dietician and Immunologist Professor) who will look after the little guy. The initial consensus is the treatment is going to be tough on all concerned but by the time he's done the initial phase the disease should be in remission and we'll simply need to maintain it from there. He should then be back to as normal lifestyle as you can have with a chronic disease.

Treatment consists of:

Steroids for about 2 months
An extremely restricted diet that introduces new foods in phases over weeks
Nutritional supplements that get phased out as new foods are introduced
Biological treatment (Immuno suppressants) to replace steroids after month 2
Maintenance medication after about 9 months of biologicals

And of course all this gets monitored with regular check-ups and blood work

Arzy

Really sorry to hear that. It is hard when your kids are ill and there is little you can do to help them. My friend's ex has Chrons and as long as he avoids veggies and fruit he is ok. So I hope your little one will be too.

That's one of the tough things, every persons triggers are different so there is a lot of trial and error to determine which foods cause flare ups

biometrics

Yeah, it's a wide spectrum and age plays a big role. Adults cope better and can be treated more easily as they don't suffer as badly from the effects of corticosteroids, kids on the other suffer more from the effects of the disease (malnutrition, development, growth, etc.) and then steroids have their own complications.

Typically we do nothing in half-measures and the offspring has a severe case that has developed in a unique way which made it difficult to diagnose. We're talking about 6 years and 20+ doctors in various specialties and it was only diagnosed because of how far it's developed.

As to prognosis, staying with a panel of doctors (GP, Gastroenterologist, Dietician and Immunologist Professor) who will look after the little guy. The initial consensus is the treatment is going to be tough on all concerned but by the time he's done the initial phase the disease should be in remission and we'll simply need to maintain it from there. He should then be back to as normal lifestyle as you can have with a chronic disease.

Treatment consists of:

Steroids for about 2 months
An extremely restricted diet that introduces new foods in phases over weeks
Nutritional supplements that get phased out as new foods are introduced
Biological treatment (Immuno suppressants) to replace steroids after month 2
Maintenance medication after about 9 months of biologicals

And of course all this gets monitored with regular check-ups and blood work
At least you now know what you are dealing with.

Nicholas

Ah your company hasn't been Americanized I take it
Oh not at all. Too small for the Americans to care about - or for any greedy companies to want to gobble up, I suppose. I work with the loveliest bunch of people. Our CEO started out as a junior programmer in the 1980s.

Nicholas

Bear in mind that I am still naive - age isn't everything - and am unaware of some things even if they are happening right in front of me.

Nicholas

I was on a disability grant for a while. Somewhere between dropping out out of university and being admitted to a state mental hospital. I didn't make any effort to have it reinstated. I think I was told something there that I didn't want to hear. Most of my memories are vague to non-existent, even it it happened a few minutes prior to the present.