The Chat Room

DA-LION-619

Another one of the ways in which I have been fortunate so far is that I have not had to run the gauntlet of a job interview. Do they really ask questions like "Tell us why you think you are the best person for this job." [Uh....well...I don't think I am. there are likely to be many other people who would outperform me...]

I started temping as a form of occupational therapy at a small iT company, was offered a full time position a year later, and have been here ever since, though my working hours changed from 08H00 to 13H00 a year or two before before CoViD-19 hit.

What are some common job interview questions?
Same boat. The questions do get weirder as you get older especially if you’re not interviewed by the people you’ll be working with. What’s your relationship status? Do you have children? Etc. basically scoping out your personal life.
I almost had a corporate job, but apparently you can pass a polygraph on Friday and fail it on Monday.

its a strange feeling to be happy with what you do, and happy to work for the company you work for.
I have asked myself if I took a 5% pay cut to stay here vs taking a 15% increase to move to another company what would I do?
and the answer was take the pay cut. that is not something that will happen I know I am getting an increase next year july and I know I am getting a full 13th in december with a possibility of more than a full 13th on the cards.
To move the incentive would need to be more than 15%. as @Venomous mentioned you get tired of being on the defensive.
I was hired to achieve a goal, when that’s done I will naturally leave or if they get acquired, that’s been my exit strategy.

I personally think that most of the bosses and higher ups would never be able to work underneath themselves and the ridiculous rules and requests that they dish out without care or concern every day.
They tend to view the past with rose-tinted glasses. I’m now considered a relic of the place, so when the preaching starts, I need to remind them of how things actually were. This distorted reality just makes the hiring process worse.

satanboy

And this is why, in Table View, the traffic is back to pre-covid levels. They cannot do without their bums-on-seats, their lordship has to be somehow satisfied.
And you are correct, most of them are bosses, because that's all they can do, they cannot run a business, they chase customers away with their attitude.
In South Africa, many of the older companies, the small ones I worked at, I began to realise in retrospect, they are small, and remain small because the boss man is only too happy to continue being the Regimental Sargent Major outside of the SADF.
Many many men got fucked in the main brain due to the conscription and became arsehole bosses.
How bad the army was? Well some people wrote songs about it. I escaped it, thank God.
Lucky you. I still have nightmares.

Venomous

And this is why, in Table View, the traffic is back to pre-covid levels. They cannot do without their bums-on-seats, their lordship has to be somehow satisfied.
And you are correct, most of them are bosses, because that's all they can do, they cannot run a business, they chase customers away with their attitude.
In South Africa, many of the older companies, the small ones I worked at, I began to realise in retrospect, they are small, and remain small because the boss man is only too happy to continue being the Regimental Sargent Major outside of the SADF.
Many many men got fucked in the main brain due to the conscription and became arsehole bosses.
How bad the army was? Well some people wrote songs about it. I escaped it, thank God.
Problem is some of these lords are around 30 years old.
I seem to recall the last conscription year (I have older cousins) was around 94/95 somewhere.

I bet those 'mericans lording it at your company HQ are aged between 28-35

Venomous

Talking about that.

You might enjoy the movie called old dad's

There is a youngster that is sent in after these guys sell their company to a bigger corporate. The dad's are still suppose to have jobs running their old company.

S

Sonikku

Problem is some of these lords are around 30 years old.
I seem to recall the last conscription year (I have older cousins) was around 94/95 somewhere.

I bet those 'mericans lording it at your company HQ are aged between 28-35
They're in their 50s most of them.. Furniture from the older, Texas based company they bought

The 30 year old lords (we have one of them in my workplace) come from the MBA school of thought. But they're that way because they're cock suckers. The one we have was the project manager and somehow got to hold the VP's balls and gave him good head, so now he's part of the management committee... saw him recently get added at the bottom of the organogram.
Here's the funny thing about him.. he worked for our company before my time, then left to work for other assholes I have had the displeasure of working with, not for, then came back in 2019 suddenly to join us, and whoosh, like that, senior in rank to me.
He has slowly gotten on my nerves, to the point where earlier this year I told him on email with management cc'd in not to take that kind of tone with me.
He's the one who craps me out when I colour outside the lines e.g. help other departments with problems, because somehow that "detracts from my targets"

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sonikku

Lucky you. I still have nightmares.
Last call-up was in 1994. I was in college at the time. In July 1993 the SADF sent paperwork to our house to check if I was still in school. My dad replied and told them I was in matric and going to college the following year. Never heard from them again.
In January 1994 I remember clearly watching SABC 1 (GMSA program) and seeing people in my matric class leaving for the army

Nicholas

Same boat. The questions do get weirder as you get older especially if you’re not interviewed by the people you’ll be working with. What’s your relationship status? Do you have children? Etc. basically scoping out your personal life.
I almost had a corporate job, but apparently you can pass a polygraph on Friday and fail it on Monday.

Bisexual and polyamorous. I dare you to hold that against me. Do tell me more about your personal life, Interviewer. ;-P

Here I thought that polygraph tests aren't reliable.

Some employers assume that all of its employees are Christians, so they incorporate prayer into company meetings and don't give people the credit they are due when things go right.

Last edited:

Nicholas

Last call-up was in 1994. I was in college at the time. In July 1993 the SADF sent paperwork to our house to check if I was still in school. My dad replied and told them I was in matric and going to college the following year. Never heard from them again.
In January 1994 I remember clearly watching SABC 1 (GMSA program) and seeing people in my matric class leaving for the army
Matriculated in 1994. Medically unfit. So glad I could dodge that bullet.
Didn't want to go hurting people. Also, I'm English-speaking.

DA-LION-619

Here I thought that polygraph tests aren't reliable.

Some employers assume that all of its employees are Christians, so they incorporate prayer into company meetings and don't give people the credit they are due when things go right.
Smaller companies don’t have the bureaucracy of HR which is nice but also lack protocols which makes things bad.

I’m reminded of a time, I was asked(very privately) when is Eid because two team members wanted different days off. To which I replied I know the answer but I’m not going to be your scapegoat.

DA-LION-619

Was this before one could look up the date of Eid online?
Sometimes people don’t want to be the boss, they wanna be your friend.

Which leads to weird interactions, you can’t hold someone up in a discussion about what you’re binging on Netflix then later ask about things that are due to urgency.

Venomous

They're in their 50s most of them.. Furniture from the older, Texas based company they bought

The 30 year old lords (we have one of them in my workplace) come from the MBA school of thought. But they're that way because they're cock suckers. The one we have was the project manager and somehow got to hold the VP's balls and gave him good head, so now he's part of the management committee... saw him recently get added at the bottom of the organogram.
Here's the funny thing about him.. he worked for our company before my time, then left to work for other assholes I have had the displeasure of working with, not for, then came back in 2019 suddenly to join us, and whoosh, like that, senior in rank to me.
He has slowly gotten on my nerves, to the point where earlier this year I told him on email with management cc'd in not to take that kind of tone with me.
He's the one who craps me out when I colour outside the lines e.g. help other departments with problems, because somehow that "detracts from my targets"
Oh dear. Those are all so joyful and encouraging!

Have the yesterday interview told you when it's time for 2nd interview?

Venomous

Sometimes people don’t want to be the boss, they wanna be your friend.

Which leads to weird interactions, you can’t hold someone up in a discussion about what you’re binging on Netflix then later ask about things that are due to urgency.
Yeah....that just makes a mess.

If they want to be all social and "nice", there should be a last item on the list called catch up (or similar). But generally chit chat should be kept away

S

Sonikku

So only Afrikaans speakers did military service. Got it.
Well my family is English and they were all drafted so yeah...
There are stories where English people were disliked. Not sure how true it was, but, ja, its the internet, taking things with a pinch of salt