The Chat Room

S

Sonikku

Update: I am apparently getting a written warning for "failing to pitch for a photoshoot". I was busy with my prospective employer when they were looking for me.
I knew the photo thing was taking place, but, oh shit, the email they sent to tell me I needed to be at the office, uh, that kind of got sent to FILE 13 yesterday :ROFLMAO:

Oh and I have a target on my back now. HR are pissed because my emails reached the bosses in Atlanta asking about the cash payout, and HR got a poesklap from them for the way they handled this. So any bets I will get some money at the end of this month? Not holding my breath

:ROFLMAO:

biometrics

Update: I am apparently getting a written warning for "failing to pitch for a photoshoot". I was busy with my prospective employer when they were looking for me.
I knew the photo thing was taking place, but, oh shit, the email they sent to tell me I needed to be at the office, uh, that kind of got sent to FILE 13 yesterday :ROFLMAO:

Oh and I have a target on my back now. HR are pissed because my emails reached the bosses in Atlanta asking about the cash payout, and HR got a poesklap from them for the way they handled this. So any bets I will get some money at the end of this month? Not holding my breath

:ROFLMAO:
While working for myself has its ups and downs, I am glad I'm not in the corporate world.

S

Sonikku

While working for myself has its ups and downs, I am glad I'm not in the corporate world.
I wish I wasn't in the corporate world. That's the thing see, when I joined that company it was small.
The Yanks tacked on all the red tape and mindless corporate BS. They did a good job of destroying the company from the inside out.

Tribs

Every time I am tempted to get a "full-time job", I remind myself what it was like. And while I may not have a full-time job - I work longer hours than ever. :ROFLMAO:

Venomous

The technical interview is over. It went well... a bit of a gotcha was me using a defer.Close() method to close the socket on the server instead of processing the response first.

BUT

I inadvertently uncovered a bug on their backend last night while trying to get it to work. They thanked me for that, so that's bonus points.
Now we wait for the next step! It's probably going to be a soft skills type interview from here on....
Sounds like it all went well from something that went a bit sideways. A booboo with a fix! 😁

Venomous

Every time I am tempted to get a "full-time job", I remind myself what it was like. And while I may not have a full-time job - I work longer hours than ever. :ROFLMAO:
Indeed.

And while your time can sometimes be flexible, it's often for less money than in corporate

Rudolph Hart

I wish I wasn't in the corporate world. That's the thing see, when I joined that company it was small.
The Yanks tacked on all the red tape and mindless corporate BS. They did a good job of destroying the company from the inside out.
Here too. When I started here a few years back, the company was privately owned and all the shareholders were involved in the day to day running and management of the company. And then they sold us to the yanks.

Baxteen

a year ago I would have been bemoaning my corporate job. then I changed and I went to a bigger corporate place.

I have never in my life been so happy in a job as I am now.

I am valued by my superiors.
I am thanked for work and it feels sincere.
I have a brilliant team under me that make me feel like I am doing well because I am teaching them many things.
I wake up on a Monday morning excited to get dressed and go to the office.
I go in to the office on days I can be working from home Because I WANT to.

I don't know how to explain it, but this company said culture is important and they mean it.
if you exclude call center and sales staff from personal turnover stats we sit at 0.3% personnel turnover close to 1800 staff.
include sales staff and it goes to 21%
change that to permanent staff (after 3 month probation) and staff turnover drops to 7.8%
those are not made up numbers its a report I pulled for HR for a meeting with the CEO.

There is an entire department dedicated to company culture. we have culture tours where other companies come visit us to see what it looks like and how it works

its a strange feeling to be happy with what you do, and happy to work for the company you work for.
I have asked myself if I took a 5% pay cut to stay here vs taking a 15% increase to move to another company what would I do?
and the answer was take the pay cut. that is not something that will happen I know I am getting an increase next year july and I know I am getting a full 13th in december with a possibility of more than a full 13th on the cards.

S

Sonikku

I am contemplating taking what I wrote in my actual performance review (which they are doing now- pointless though because there's no bonus), and posting it in the private forum. I need to just think about that step first and whether it could come back to bite later.

But I will say this. Those of you @Tribs and others who know me, know how hard that project was and I was at it for 4 years. It took 4 years off my life
I did not get the support I needed, and when I had the breakdown in August 2022, I had no support. All that happened was I had to apologise, we moved on but my manager has held it against me.
I declared to this company back in February 2017, in my 2nd interview, that I have ASD. They have chosen to ignore it or conveniently forgot.
What recognition did I get for delivering such a massive project, which contains over 22000+ lines of code I wrote on my own?
Nothing. They suddenly woke up to this in August, and then came with their "R&D Excellence awards". So that was something, until they fucked it up by not paying me the prize money... so fuck them, fuck Joe Biden, and fuck them all. Masepoes!

Tribs

I am contemplating taking what I wrote in my actual performance review (which they are doing now- pointless though because there's no bonus), and posting it in the private forum. I need to just think about that step first and whether it could come back to bite later.

But I will say this. Those of you @Tribs and others who know me, know how hard that project was and I was at it for 4 years. It took 4 years off my life
I did not get the support I needed, and when I had the breakdown in August 2022, I had no support. All that happened was I had to apologise, we moved on but my manager has held it against me.
I declared to this company back in February 2017, in my 2nd interview, that I have ASD. They have chosen to ignore it or conveniently forgot.
What recognition did I get for delivering such a massive project, which contains over 22000+ lines of code I wrote on my own?
Nothing. They suddenly woke up to this in August, and then came with their "R&D Excellence awards". So that was something, until they fucked it up by not paying me the prize money... so fuck them, fuck Joe Biden, and fuck them all. Masepoes!
I do remember - it really messed you up and put you in a bad way.

Venomous

That is pretty fucking low.

Rather don't post it. Or at least not for a few years

S

Sonikku

That is pretty fucking low.

Rather don't post it. Or at least not for a few years
Yeah I am leaning towards that.

I was pretty blunt in that performance review. I wrote there of how fucking hard they make my life and how difficult it is to work going forward. And the fact that I have to use a virtual machine to do my job because they refuse to unblock access to the internet for those applications I use.
They are more paranoid than any company I have ever encountered, including the banks. I wonder what skeletons they have in those closets. The irony of wiping employee's laptops suddenly after a couple of years, is not lost on me.

The licenses for JetBrains expired today, so none of us can do any work. We mentioned this, we warned them. No reaction whatsoever.
Two weeks ago, licenses for Windows servers had to be renewed (not sure because this is their crap we now have to support - my interest levels are low) we built the company on Linux servers. They refused to purchase/provide the keys... eventually we resorted to using KMSpico to get the fucking audit done.

Not paying suppliers either. I get the phone calls from suppliers begging for money because of my signature on the documents. Age analysis 180 days +

Venomous

I've never had that, but also not at FNB.

.Nedbank delivers the 3 cards to me. Cheque, amex and then the shopper card which allows you to spend you green backs at stores accepting amex.

I show id, sign and courier leaves.

What is hilarious, not sure why, but something on my account was set so when delivered to me there is no charge besides the new card charge. Meaning free delivery. But if I want to collect it at the bank there is a fee.

Making courier easy and cards work when the old ones stop.

Düber

I can't even begin to see myself in a corporate environment.

I have always worked for myself and done some very interesting things to make ends meet over the years.
Certainly not an easy path but just being able to decide for yourself what you are or want to do today totally makes it worth it.

I look at all the shit that my family and friends get fed at their jobs and just have to shake my head.

I personally think that most of the bosses and higher ups would never be able to work underneath themselves and the ridiculous rules and requests that they dish out without care or concern every day.

Venomous

I can't even begin to see myself in a corporate environment.

I have always worked for myself and done some very interesting things to make ends meet over the years.
Certainly not an easy path but just being able to decide for yourself what you are or want to do today totally makes it worth it.

I look at all the shit that my family and friends get fed at their jobs and just have to shake my head.

I personally think that most of the bosses and higher ups would never be able to work underneath themselves and the ridiculous rules and requests that they dish out without care or concern every day.
Most of those corporate higher ups would not make it should their venture out on their own. They like lording it over people, but have an internal struggle if faced with doing the pleb work

S

Sonikku

Most of those corporate higher ups would not make it should their venture out on their own. They like lording it over people, but have an internal struggle if faced with doing the pleb work
And this is why, in Table View, the traffic is back to pre-covid levels. They cannot do without their bums-on-seats, their lordship has to be somehow satisfied.
And you are correct, most of them are bosses, because that's all they can do, they cannot run a business, they chase customers away with their attitude.
In South Africa, many of the older companies, the small ones I worked at, I began to realise in retrospect, they are small, and remain small because the boss man is only too happy to continue being the Regimental Sargent Major outside of the SADF.
Many many men got fucked in the main brain due to the conscription and became arsehole bosses.
How bad the army was? Well some people wrote songs about it. I escaped it, thank God.