The Chat Room

Arzy

the way I look at things like that is, you had it, you got Joy out of it and you sold it and used that money to do something. never think about how much they are now and how much you could have made selling them today.
I have been forced to take that mental approach because I mined bitcoin way back when. formatted that hard drive that had the bitcoin on it because 43(or 34 memory is fuzzy and dyslexia sucks) is worthless. so I formatted the laptop and sold it. all of this happened way back before the first pizza was even bought with bitcoin.
so meh, I played, I had fun, I sold the laptop and that paid for a few textbooks.

True dat.

I had also had an old laptop I setup for mining in the early days when it was easy to get coins. I managed 2-3 on average per day when I remembered to do it.

My gran, may she rest in peace, wanted to get into this internet thing so I gave her the laptop to check Facebook and Gmail on.

By the time prices started flying I though I may be able to check the laptop again for a nice retirement portfolio.

My mom had bought my gran a new laptop at some point and the one I gave her had been passed on to their maid or just been tossed.

Baxteen

I am glad I am not the only one with a story like that. kinda hurts but not that much

biometrics

the way I look at things like that is, you had it, you got Joy out of it and you sold it and used that money to do something. never think about how much they are now and how much you could have made selling them today.
I have been forced to take that mental approach because I mined bitcoin way back when. formatted that hard drive that had the bitcoin on it because 43(or 34 memory is fuzzy and dyslexia sucks) is worthless. so I formatted the laptop and sold it. all of this happened way back before the first pizza was even bought with bitcoin.
so meh, I played, I had fun, I sold the laptop and that paid for a few textbooks.
Similar to house prices. Bought my first 3-bedroom house in Cape Town for R245k in 1999. Bought a flat in Stellenbosch for R125k in 2000. Sold them both some years later. But if I kept them they will be worth a lot more now, not BTC worth but still.

Baxteen

Similar to house prices. Bought my first 3-bedroom house in Cape Town for R245k in 1999. Bought a flat in Stellenbosch for R125k in 2000. Sold them both some years later. But if I kept them they will be worth a lot more now, not BTC worth but still.
yeah propperty is a funny one.
guy in the office has had his life goal to completely own his house before he turns 40.
he turned 38 this year and next month is his last payment.
he bought the house though a family trust but paid everything himself no help from anyone outside. so slight advantage but an impressive feat.

Nicholas

I feel exactly the same
Unsatisfying day at the office?

1692773267611.png

I nabbed a good number descriptions and bid numbers on Onlinetenders yesterday, but could not find out enough about many of them to include them in what I mailed out. I'm slow, but lately it feels as though I have been slower than usual. Age, I suppose. Head full of fog.

Last edited:

satanboy

Now this is really pathetic. One of my acquaintances posted a picture of herself at the airport with the following heading: "Off to go help disadvantaged kids and people."

/cringe

scudsucker

I've seen disadvantaged goats before. Hitch-hiking in Zim, in a semi-arid area, I convinced a whole herd of goats to follow me along the road, bleating at them as I went. For around 2 or 3km, they followed me.

Those goats wanted the good life. Sadly I got picked up by a car and left them to struggle. Human privilege, right there.