The Chat Room

satanboy

I had to drop the SO off at the hospital this morning. Another procedure for arterial fibrillation.

People drive like imbeciles and arseholes (a few, most drive fine).

Nicholas

plan for the day is to be slightly more strict in sprint planning. I want to try and get the team to commit to harder deadlines.
been very soft on them but I want them to manage their time better.
note I don't want them to work more or harder, I just want them to complete what they put on the board rather than putting on more than they can handle.
and I want to leave the office around 3 and go to the doc have her check out my gland under my chin on the left side. it has been hurting for a few weeks, kind of like a precursor to a flu that never comes.
and I am spending most of the day on a call with one team member to try and help het find issues on a very complex piece of code she has been working on for a while.
What is this sprinting thing when it isn't sport-related?

Baxteen

What is this sprinting thing when it isn't sport-related?
work that contains multiple deliverable items are linked in a sprint.
build X optimise Y sort out person with that thing that they need get specs for next project.
those might all be placed in the same sprint even though they are not related to one thing.

Baxteen

Words management use to feel important and put pressure on the workers subconsciously.
in 99% of sprint set ups yes.
I am actievly working wiht my team to make sure that the work load is managed propperly. there are things that need to happen we have a goal that everyone understands and can see and I want to make sure that if you have 10 things on the sprint for the week you plan on doing 10 things.
I would rather have 5 things done and 5 things not in the sprint this week then have 10 things on this sprint that only 5 are completed and they are done badly because there is too much on the plate.
that was my whole thing. I want to make sure they are not over working or under delivering. make sure its done well without mistakes rather than rush jobs and fuck things up.

scudsucker

In totally different news, my son, aged six, came across this coloring book while "borrowing" my phone.

He really, really wants it, but I am concerned he might grow up to be a hipster.

Should I buy it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725_192234_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_192234_Chrome.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 7

Nicholas

work that contains multiple deliverable items are linked in a sprint.
build X optimise Y sort out person with that thing that they need get specs for next project.
those might all be placed in the same sprint even though they are not related to one thing.
Are the programmers expected to do this at breakneck speed?

Nicholas

in 99% of sprint set ups yes.
I am actievly working wiht my team to make sure that the work load is managed propperly. there are things that need to happen we have a goal that everyone understands and can see and I want to make sure that if you have 10 things on the sprint for the week you plan on doing 10 things.
I would rather have 5 things done and 5 things not in the sprint this week then have 10 things on this sprint that only 5 are completed and they are done badly because there is too much on the plate.
that was my whole thing. I want to make sure they are not over working or under delivering. make sure its done well without mistakes rather than rush jobs and fuck things up.
Did you start off as a programmer? [Our CEO was working in our programming department when I started work. [I started temping in Data Capture in 1999 and was offered a fulltime position there in November 2000]
How do you determine whether you are expecting too much or too little of individuals?

Nicholas

Where does one find el cheapo cases and 400W PSUs these days? Want to do a virtual build for an el cheapo machine. Just for fun.