The Chat Room

Nicholas

Encounter at Woolworths.

It happened a month or two before lockdown began. I was helping my mother do her grocery shopping, standing near the milk refrigerator with her trolley when a tall, [taller than me, anyway, but I stand at only 1.63m] slender woman with short light brown hair and wearing a tracksuit asked me how I was doing as she walked by. I was taken by surprise, and could only babble "er...um....fine thanks". I thought she might be someone my mother knew, [my mother is much more sociable than I am, and talks to just about everyone] but could not ask her right there because she had gone off to pick a punnet of vegetables. I saw the mystery woman at a distance a few more times while at Woolworths, and pointed her out further back than us in the queue, my face twisted into an approximation of a smile. My mother did not recognise her.

For the next two weeks, I worked myself up into an oxytocin high, and was daydreaming about my life changing dramatically. I recognised that this was not good for me, and talked myself out of these feeling so as not to end up crashing badly.

Tribs

Encounter at Woolworths.

It happened a month or two before lockdown began. I was helping my mother do her grocery shopping, standing near the milk refrigerator with her trolley when a tall, [taller than me, anyway, but I stand at only 1.63m] slender woman with short light brown hair and wearing a tracksuit asked me how I was doing as she walked by. I was taken by surprise, and could only babble "er...um....fine thanks". I thought she might be someone my mother knew, [my mother is much more sociable than I am, and talks to just about everyone] but could not ask her right there because she had gone off to pick a punnet of vegetables. I saw the mystery woman at a distance a few more times while at Woolworths, and pointed her out further back than us in the queue, my face twisted into an approximation of a smile. My mother did not recognise her.

For the next two weeks, I worked myself up into an oxytocin high, and was daydreaming about my life changing dramatically. I recognised that this was not good for me, and talked myself out of these feeling so as not to end up crashing badly.
I still don't think there is anything wrong with dreaming / fantasising. Some of us are smart to realise where they begin and end. And as long as you keep the fantasy in your head and in your dreams - there is no chance of being hut by them. But this is my opinion so that I can dream and think anything I want.

Nicholas

I still don't think there is anything wrong with dreaming / fantasising. Some of us are smart to realise where they begin and end. And as long as you keep the fantasy in your head and in your dreams - there is no chance of being hut by them. But this is my opinion so that I can dream and think anything I want.
I speak from experience. If I let myself be carried away by a particular line of thought, the return to earth is jarring.

Tribs

🫂

I can't afford to allow them to become all-consuming and be bouncing around on a high that diverges from reality.
Perhaps you will trust yourself more one day - or reality less. Nothing is what you expect - and I feel if you can get a little pleasure from what isn't, then no harm done. But you know best. Just don't choose real people or people you are likely to have to spend a lot of time with - especially in a work environment.

Jings

Weird thing about fantasies where you could be just minding your own business and then suddenly one just pops into your head like an intruder.

Jings

Perhaps I need to have bugler bars and and alarm system installed. Maybe a few traps, too.
Don't know how you'd pull that off. Physicists suggest thoughts travel faster than speed of light. Before you could say gotcha it's already too late.

Nicholas

Don't know how you'd pull that off. Physicists suggest thoughts travel faster than speed of light. Before you could say gotcha it's already too late.
Electrochemical impulses travelling faster than the speed of light in a vacuum?
Doubtful.

I am going to need you quote a source on that, please.

In case you were wondering, "bugler bars" is not a typo. I have seen a tender advertisement or two asking for these.

I wouldn't necessary discourage the first lot of misbehaving thoughts, but the next ones are in for an exciting time.

Jings

Electrochemical impulses travelling faster than the speed of light in a vacuum?
Doubtful.

I am going to need you quote a source on that, please.

In case you were wondering, "bugler bars" is not a typo. I have seen a tender advertisement or two asking for these.

I wouldn't necessary discourage the first lot of misbehaving thoughts, but the next ones are in for an exciting time.

Nevermind, there are holes in my memory. It's physicists saying the speed of light is slower than thought. So you think speed of darkness might be faster than light?

I wonder if bugler bars would look like musical instruments.

If your thoughts have an exciting time, does it mean you have it too?

Rudolph Hart

And just like that, the house is empty again. Kids have gone back home after the long weekend and it’s just me and the dogs and cats again. Oh, and the fresh strawberries and cream we forgot to eat, so I’ll just have to take one for the team and eat them all myself.

Tribs

And just like that, the house is empty again. Kids have gone back home after the long weekend and it’s just me and the dogs and cats again. Oh, and the fresh strawberries and cream we forgot to eat, so I’ll just have to take one for the team and eat them all myself.
OMG I could use some strawberries and cream. Think I will buy some today

Jings

Dammit, now I'm also thinking of strawberries and cream.

It's going to be an interesting day.

satanboy

ARTHQUAKE: NEAR CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
Weak M2.6 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, 144 km west of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa, on Saturday, 7 Aug 2021 20:41. Depth: 10km
Main Data Source: CGS