The Chat Room

Nicholas

Had a nasty thought this afternoon....thought I'm letting ELCB take advantage of me when I give them more than 5 hours of my time in a working day, and that I shouldn't be giving them freebies. I might be in a stronger position if a second company was paying me for my time in the afternoons. 😈

Baxteen

give only 50% effort from the day you start.
that way when you give 75% people think you are giving 150%
working yourself stupid for someone else's company is just dumb. if you understand that, when you start your own company you will hire people and expect them to only deliver 50% as well. that way you can manage your own expectations better.

Baxteen

Be careful of often finishing with 2-3 hours to spare. your employer may decide that you should work part-time.
no you stretch out the work to take the full amount of time.
never finish early.
or at least never let it be noticed you finished early

Baxteen

Informing management that I was keen to take on additional tasks may have been a mistake, then.
no not necessarily.
that is the upwards momentum game that everyone plays.
but manage expectations and time in a way that you never feel like you are being exploited.
and always remember, your employer hires your time for working hours.
after working hours you become pay to contact.

Baxteen

There’s a lovely view of the next building’s roof.
and there are a bunch of Capetonians around.
the weather is sh1t, the people are worse than joburgers, the sea is too cold to swim in the traffic is worse than JHB traffic. statistically its the city with the highest crime rate in the country.
and to make it all worse my mother lives there!

No thanks I will stay here where the city turns purple for a month once a year thanks